The online racing simulator
I have been waiting for this before deciding to get either this or the Fanatec wheel as my G25 has died.

Tbh Logitech has made my decision easy! A few more buttons, rev lights, taking features away from the shifter and still using those crappy pedals with the pots that break?!?

Think I will spend my money on the Fanatec GT3 RS Wheel + Clubsport Pedals with their Shifter.

I know its alot more £ but I can't help feeling that it's worth it for the quality of the product.

*Gets Saving.*
well we dont have a price for the G27 yet...it says 349 € here, who knows how much its going to cost in the shops.... so you cant really tell the price difference between the fanatec and the G27 yet
Recommended retail is $/€299.99. Not sure what retailers will actually do.
Check out this thread if you haven't allready Goo. You're not gonna like most of the comments, but i guess you're eager about the communitys thoughts.

Oh and everybody there hates the fact it's got no sequential shift mode.
Retail prices are usualy much lower then prices on logitech site.
Goo, glad you're back, was cool to see you at RSC in the G25 days.

Is the shifter position detection still based on two potentiometers and are the pedals still using pots? Might we see contact less sensors in the future? I bet half the shifter recalls have been due to dodgy pots (mine was..) where it was confused in what gear it was in. I've also heard people about the pedals going jittery after a (longish) time of use. Plenty of low end analog controllers use magnetic or optical type sensors, surely they can be done at or near the price of a pot with a lower long term product failure rate as a result?

Cheers
Niels
what i think is so sad, is that logitech have put down so many good products in the G-series and now they come with this lame thing. If you look G7 to G9 pretty good progression. G15 to G19, lcd coler instead of black white,its a good progression

G25 -> G27, took away the one thing everybody liked, the sequential shifter, putted ugly cheap buttons where there used to be nice and quality looking buttons. For some reason added an fugly black ring in the middle of the wheel lord knows what you guys where thinking. Serious this G27 looks like something that would have been the prototype of the G25. And you even dary to ask more money for it? Because you have put 12 0.01€leds on it? and replaced the 0.50€ buttons by 0.25€buttons. And well lets take away another funtionality so people will def buy the G29 wich we will release in 2 years so people think wow this is way better.

Also i find it idiotic that you can clearly see that you were to busy w***ing, to make a new shifter, because ooh no we dont need the switch anymore well why bother designing a nice new shifter, just but a fugly black piece a plastic on the place where the switch used to be. Well i'm sutre that the guy who found thazt idea got a nice bonus for making the production price lower.

Overal i must say lest give the logitech def team the darwin price. Okay they didnt kill them selfs because of there own stupidity, but i'm sure the average simraces would love to do that. Great job on ruining a product logitech, i hope i doesnt sell shit. There was a reason why people thought it was fake, because it looked rubish and cheap.

Sorry i really needed to say this
I wonder if through time the G25 will be taken out of production, as i really can't see the need for 2 almost identical wheels. I know Logitech still sell their older versions of mice and keyboards, but as a previous poster said the added functionality that was added to the mice and keyboards warranted paying extra cash as they were an improvement on their predecessors, but there is very little improvement between G25 and G27 to merit both wheels being in production, i assume maybe the G25 will gradually be fazed out. If the G25 does get taken out of production, then all G25 valid warranty claims will get a shining new G27. I only bought my G25 2-3 months ago.....so if it breaks in the future i might get a new G27.
If just Logitech would add seq-shifter then G27 would be a wheel good to buy after G25(when mine will totally break )... those buttons on the wheel doesn't bother me. Goo... You all at logitech still have a month to include seq shifter .
a handbrake would be nice too...
Quote from mclarenmatt :I have been waiting for this before deciding to get either this or the Fanatec wheel as my G25 has died.

Tbh Logitech has made my decision easy! A few more buttons, rev lights, taking features away from the shifter and still using those crappy pedals with the pots that break?!?

Think I will spend my money on the Fanatec GT3 RS Wheel + Clubsport Pedals with their Shifter.

I know its alot more £ but I can't help feeling that it's worth it for the quality of the product.

*Gets Saving.*

Just to inform you, the price is not much different.

299 Euro for the Fanatec Porche 911 GT3 RS wheel -clubsport edition-. The clubsport pedals has a pressure sensitive load cell sensor on the brake, which makes the braking so much more realistic. You can get the full details of the pedals here: http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=293&lang=en

But if you also want the shifter, you need to buy that seperate, but that doesnt cost too much.

You can find the wheels features here: http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=230&lang=en
Quote from Metalass :Check out this thread if you haven't allready Goo. You're not gonna like most of the comments, but i guess you're eager about the communitys thoughts.

Oh and everybody there hates the fact it's got no sequential shift mode.

I've been reading it, and I'm keeping track of all the commentary about the product. Design decisions like that are really tough to make and aren't ever pleasant. The negative commentary we'd received about the feeling of the six-speed mode over the years really pushed us to improve it, and removing the sequential mode hardware was a significant portion of that. It's understandable that it's not a popular decision. I wasn't happy to be part of making it.

Niels, the both the pedals and shifter still use pots, but the shifter won't see the same kind of movement of the pots that the G25's did since the internals are so much tighter. The shifter should be much more accurate as a result. As far as other technologies go - we are using Hall effect sensors in the G940, so technology like that is certainly something we could adapt to other products in the future.

Nighthawk - the G25 will be replaced by the G27.
Quote from Goo (Logitech) :

Nighthawk - the G25 will be replaced by the G27.

Will the G25 go down in price? If so how much?

I'm getting damn tired of my DFP.
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :Will the G25 go down in price? If so how much?

I'm getting damn tired of my DFP.

If the G27 is a replacement for the G25 then i think stores that still have G25's in stock, will most likely sell those G25's at a sale price once they have the newer G27's in stock, or a sale to clear G25's ready for the G27 launch.
Quote from {CA}Nighthawk :If the G27 is a replacement for the G25 then i think stores that still have G25's in stock, will most likely sell those G25's at a sale price once they have the newer G27's in stock, or a sale to clear G25's ready for the G27 launch.

This is likely correct.
I smell "how to MOD g27 for sequential mode tutorial"
How timely for my G25 to start showing signs of dying. Loss of calibration and what looked like USB resets hit me last night during a race - very worrying.

Maybe some sort of sprung vertical slot could be clipped or slotted over the G27's shifter to provide a sequential mode, without compromising the internals. It would need enough throw to register a gear up/down and enough spring to disengage the gear lever and put it back in neutral.

There you go, Logitech. Send the royalties and a G27 to my place.

It would be a shame to lose the sequential stick in preference to the gimmicky flappy paddles, IMO.
While we are on the subject Goo, any chance of a trade-in deal for G25 owners? ( i'm pretty sure this is not going to happen so this is a veeeeery naiv question, but it just have to ask)
Hey Goo,

Sorry to add to the negativity but to me the G27 seems like a product designed to increase sales and not increase quality.

Given that almost 3 years have passed since the G25 and the growth of simulation racing games, I feel that Logitech has missed out on a golden opportunity here. I don't say that as just a sim racer but a student of business.

That is, you guys should expect a sales bump from the G27 when it hits the shelves because its the "shiny new toy" but at the cost of alienating your long-time customers by basically re-badging a 3 year old product and claiming it as new. I find this dissapointing and a little insulting.

Specifically:

1) Only improvement to the steering is a "quieter" gear system? Why not a quicker, more accurate and realistic system?
2) Only improvement to the wheel functionality is a couple of buttons and LEDs? Worst of all, they look poorly designed also.
3) The best thing you guys could come up with to improve the quality of the shifter is to remove sequential mode? Personally, I don't care about sequential shifting but this action and the visual similarity of the shifter housing just tells me that engineering was not a priority for this product. Come on, in this economy a manufacturer would be able to design you a much nicer die mold on the cheap!
4) Why not load cell based pedals? The biggest attraction to the G25 to me was the clutch pedal and the accuracy of the entire pedal system. Again, 3 years later and Logitech doesn't offer an improvement? Load cells would have been a great answer.

I can under the business decision- short run profits are the name of the game- but this product launch is just another reason to keep my money in my pocket
With regard to the transmission, in addition to smoothness and quietness, there is also significantly less backlash in the force feedback system. All of these things work together to enhance overall force feedback fidelity and give developers the ability to convey even more information with forces. It is a big improvement over previous generations of force feedback transmissions.

As to why we do or don't use a particular technology, I can't really comment except to say that the decision-making process involves a lot of different factors.

And as far as your other commentary goes - I can't really refute your opinions about buttons and such, and I don't want to be argumentative, but I will reiterate that a significant amount of engineering effort was put into all of the components of the G27. It's not immediately apparent from the images, but the entire product feels significantly better as a result. That's kind of hard for me to prove on a messageboard, though. Hopefully reviews and testimonials from non-Logitech people will bear this out.
Quote from Goo (Logitech) :With regard to the transmission, in addition to smoothness and quietness, there is also significantly less backlash in the force feedback system. All of these things work together to enhance overall force feedback fidelity and give developers the ability to convey even more information with forces. It is a big improvement over previous generations of force feedback transmissions.

As to why we do or don't use a particular technology, I can't really comment except to say that the decision-making process involves a lot of different factors.

And as far as your other commentary goes - I can't really refute your opinions about buttons and such, and I don't want to be argumentative, but I will reiterate that a significant amount of engineering effort was put into all of the components of the G27. It's not immediately apparent from the images, but the entire product feels significantly better as a result. That's kind of hard for me to prove on a messageboard, though. Hopefully reviews and testimonials from non-Logitech people will bear this out.

... You could always select some trusted forum members to try them out and compare them...

:hide:
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... You could always select some trusted forum members to try them out and compare them...

:hide:

I'm with Dustin on this and then let us keep them in the end
Have logitech changed the power transformer that were manufactured by asian star? (There was some problems with those including mine)
And i would like to suggest changing to new style plugin for powerto wheel for one that can withstand some stress cause it had problemsof getting loose and not to work either, i had wires tigh with power unit to wheel plugin, and one day it stopped working. Could some screws be added to plugins (like in example pc monitor plugin stylish, so that they could be tighened up so, that they would not wobble and be damaged)
Ps. Please make new wheels in Japan not china... i had shock when i was disembling my wheel.. the button wires to the motherboard were so poorly attached that the wobbled even as new (i got good laughs when i noticed there was Made In China Text. And could brake pedals act like in real car (little bit soft area then changes to hard resist or FFB vibration (that would be one of first ones in market), could the lock to lock calibration have somepush stoppers so that it would not make huge ``TONK´´ sound when calibrating.
T: Keriandal owner of broken G25 and wisher of better quality with wiring
Quote from Kerodal :could the lock to lock calibration have somepush stppers s that itwould not make huge ``TONK´´ sound when calibrating.

if i'm not mistaken, while calibrating that's the sound it makes when it hits those stoppers... although on mine, it's more of a clunk.
when i opened mine to pieces to check what whas wrong i didnt notice those... just vaselin and plastic gears and more plastic... maybe in g27 they have turned gearing to metal... i hope so

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG