The online racing simulator
At the moment there doesn't seem to be much activity, at least in the public beta. A dozen or two people online in the evenings here.

If Kunos can get the updates out, fix most of the bugs, and make online fun (and it was fun the other night, which rock solid connections and no silly collision box problems for me) then it'll probably pick up.

I'd wait a little longer before you spend your money
And advertise, advertise which needs to come from us and maybe SRT as well.
Quote from Intrepid :eh?

Yes mate never heard that the best advertising is word of mouth advertising.
Nothing like your mates telling you you should get into something. Most effective.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Yes mate never heard that the best advertising is word of mouth advertising.
Nothing like your mates telling you you should get into something. Most effective.

best advertising is a good product to begin with.
by the by is it just me or is it impossible to change the tyre type from rg (rain iirc... very sensible to have these in a dry only sim) to something else on the 1600 now?
The 1600 is limited to treaded tyres. It's not that unrealistic (although, of course, some FFord championships do allow slicks).
I am also curious why NKP isn't getting more attention?

No I am not considering the "he disappeared and pissed us off" argument.

Take it for what it is: a FREE multiplayer sim experience. How is that not at least hooking a steady base of casual simmers on the demo? No love for SS cars? I don't buy it. I don't understand it.
no love for ss cars and all the small things around the actual driving part.
It all stems from the ridiculously hyped initial nK PRO release that ended in disaster - most people wrote off nKP right at that point. The few who remained were then thinned out over the years it took Kunos to get his ass up and fix things, which is also the period in time where he pretty much lost any credibility that was left after that release. I think the honest effort by a few dedicated fans who created and maintained the GPC is the only reason nKP has something resembling a community today.

For a long time seemingly nothing happened until a very very delayed patch 1.03 was released that didn't get much attention either. In the meantime it looks like people are slowly starting to forget/forgive what has happened and Kunos finally pushed out 1.1 together with having the long overdue insight that nKP isn't worth 36€ in its current state and with the history it has. This decision could be a revival for nKP as it seems people are much more willing to give it a try for a 20... if he keeps at fixing the remaining issues, that is.
Quote from Shotglass :by the by is it just me or is it impossible to change the tyre type from rg (rain iirc... very sensible to have these in a dry only sim) to something else on the 1600 now?

ROAD groove, not rain groove. Loads of FF1600 series use RG's only.
Challenge for you Stuart (it is with a u, not ew, right?)...

Make the 2000 work nicely around... MONACO!!!

Because although I just won a race there, and was doing low 38s (yes, I know, I'm a noob), it hops all over the place. Surely it's not just the track being duff? Surely it can be improved? I ended up at 90mm/100mm ride heights, with no dampers and no ARBs to cure it... And it didn't cure it

Ride heights still annoying me. Even a bumpy track like Monaco probably only sees 25mm front, yet in nKP 25mm is bottoming out on smooth tracks... Grrrrrrrrrr
Quote from Mattesa :I am also curious why NKP isn't getting more attention?

Take it for what it is: a FREE multiplayer sim experience. How is that not at least hooking a steady base of casual simmers on the demo? No love for SS cars? I don't buy it. I don't understand it.

In short, lack of content.
Four cars does not make a sim.
If it gets updated then more people will come. I for one am looking forward to the hillclimb addition .
Quote from three_jump :no love for ss cars and all the small things around the actual driving part.

What small things do you mean?

Quote from tristancliffe :Challenge for you Stuart (it is with a u, not ew, right?)...

Make the 2000 work nicely around... MONACO!!!

Because although I just won a race there, and was doing low 38s (yes, I know, I'm a noob), it hops all over the place. Surely it's not just the track being duff? Surely it can be improved? I ended up at 90mm/100mm ride heights, with no dampers and no ARBs to cure it... And it didn't cure it

Ride heights still annoying me. Even a bumpy track like Monaco probably only sees 25mm front, yet in nKP 25mm is bottoming out on smooth tracks... Grrrrrrrrrr

I'll have a go tomorrow probably..though I've got two league races to prepare for. I'll try and squeeze it in though.

Quote from anttt69 :In short, lack of content.
Four cars does not make a sim.
If it gets updated then more people will come. I for one am looking forward to the hillclimb addition .

Those 4 cars.(well only three of them actually) have kept me interested for over three years. I'll take quality over quantity any day. There's only about 4 cars i enjoyed driving in LFS, same goes for iRacing. In fact the only car i really loved driving in iRacing was the Skippy.
Cant wait for the Abarth ..that's going to be a blast

Been racing the 1600 a lot tonight. It just gets better and better the more miles i get under my belt. Netcode has been superb, and we did a bit of collision detection testing and it's vastly improved. This really is heading in the right direction now.
Quote from tristancliffe :The 1600 is limited to treaded tyres. It's not that unrealistic (although, of course, some FFord championships do allow slicks).

you used to be able to choose between the more threaded rg tyres and some slicks or semi slicks or whatever they were
the option was hidden inside the setup screen outside the game and only there for no apparent reason so it was and still is utterly impossible to change the tyres in the setup screen where you actually adjust everything else
only now the non game setup screens are gone and the option is inaccessible

Quote from The Moose :ROAD groove, not rain groove. Loads of FF1600 series use RG's only.

honest mistake since ive seen the same or at least very similar looking tyres on ff onboard videos round british tracks (ie wet ones)
Quote from Shotglass :....and still is utterly impossible to change the tyres in the setup screen where you actually adjust everything else
only now the non game setup screens are gone and the option is inaccessible

Of course it's impossible to change them now. That's deliberate. The vast majority of 1600 racing is on the grooved tires in real life, so Kunos decided to take the realistic route.

Quote from Shotglass : ive seen the same or at least very similar looking tyres on ff onboard videos round british tracks (ie wet ones)

Exactly. It's an all purpose tyre. Like any road tyre it's suitable for wet or dry.
Quote from The Moose :

Been racing the 1600 a lot tonight. It just gets better and better the more miles i get under my belt. Netcode has been superb, and we did a bit of collision detection testing and it's vastly improved. This really is heading in the right direction now.

I still had invisible objects yesterday on a FF2000 on monaco server. It would be easy to say it is a bad server but never had it in another sim. It needs a way to prevent us running into something that has been long gone.
I just suck at driving so I'm never around any other cars but the one time I was, I had a pretty realistic seeming collision (I have a replay laying around somewhere).
Quote from Mattesa :I am also curious why NKP isn't getting more attention?

No I am not considering the "he disappeared and pissed us off" argument.

Well, for me it was a simple inability to get it to run properly. Due to outright bugs and extremely poor performance it was impossible to use, especially online, and with no AI that's pretty much it. It got better with 1.0.3 but at that point I was pretty much done with it. Especially considering the time that had passed. You won't get a community if people can't play your sim.

Anyway, the 1.1 patch - The FPS problem I was complaining about earlier suddenly fixed itself for no apparent reason and with it went a lot of other problems I was having. I was actually able to have a number of bug free laps around Aviano and I must say it seems pretty good so far. Compared to the clean and sterile world of LFS this is very rough and gritty. Feels more alive and not as artificially grainy as it did before. I'm certainly not the one to evaluate the realism of the physics but nothing feels obviously wrong to me, so that's good. If Tristan says it's close I'm inclined to believe him.

Overall a step in the right direction but I must admit I'm a bit hesitant of getting too involved in case more showstopper bugs suddenly appear. I'll wait and see how the remaining betas go (if applicable.)
Quote from The Moose :Are you having the stuck at 31/16 FPS issue? It's been noted that simply reinstalling your current graphics drivers seems to solve that one. Not ideal, but a workaround until Kunos works out what's causing it.

Yep exactly. I had to dig for the Shift-F shortcut to find out I'm really too lazy to reinstall graphics driver - I'll try the new update you linked though thanks for the reply and keeping us posted

BTW some days ago I did actually manage to get my SO (behold!) to try out a sim and went for nKp but it was a showstopper. The actual sim would start up 1 time out of 10 tries, it got stuck after loading the track. An alt-F4 brought me to the save replay screen. When I actually got in the car, the wheel wasn't working. Of course this was all nKp's fault because the wheel worked a charm in LFS and other games were fine too, no need for a reboot hope this is all fixed in the update 2.
I can't get the hillclimb to work in this public beta....
I think hillclimb is supposed to be in Beta 2 out of 3, along with Abarth.

Edit: It doesn't mention it on netkar pro site after all, I mixed it with Aosta track that will be in Beta 2
Just tried to play the new public beta and get this error when I press drive to move onto the actual game. "This application has failed to start because X3DAudio1_6.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Also a Microsoft .NET Framework error, Cannot access a disposed object, Object name: 'SaveReplayDialog'.

Any ideas?
Quote from keiran :Just tried to play the new public beta and get this error when I press drive to move onto the actual game. "This application has failed to start because X3DAudio1_6.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Also a Microsoft .NET Framework error, Cannot access a disposed object, Object name: 'SaveReplayDialog'.

Any ideas?

you do have your .net u to date?

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG