The online racing simulator
Luca Badoer will drive in European GP after Schumacher's withdrawal
AP

MILAN — Ferrari says Italian Luca Badoer will replace Michael Schumacher at this month's European Grand Prix at Valencia after the seven-time world champion called off his much-anticipated Formula One comeback.

Badoer is a Ferrari test driver whose name was first floated by Italian media after Felipe Massa's crash took him off the race circuit.

Schumacher, 40, agreed to drive in Massa's place, but announced Tuesday he has canceled his return to F1 as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident earlier this year. He says he informed Ferrari officials Monday evening that he would not be able to step in for Massa.

Schumacher, who retired after the 2006 season, says his neck cannot stand up to the stresses of Formula One racing.

Edit - oh, f... you already knew it
#2 - JJ72
Isn't it kind of odd they don't have a reserve driver
#3 - Fuse5
test drivers are already enough for reserve driving purposes..
#5 - 5haz
Badoers going to be up against it now, every single tiny mistake he makes will be picked up on by people whinging "But Schumi would do it better!".
#6 - JJ72
Quote from Fuse5 :test drivers are already enough for reserve driving purposes..

But they ain't racing actively, it means their race craft will be rather rusty.

It would be logical to have a reserve driver racing in GP2 or other categories to do the job, just as many other teams.
Quote from 5haz :"But Schumi would do it better!".

People should let him drive and look after four-end of the season races and THEN say:
"But Schumi would do it better!"
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I'm not surprised schumi bailed.. anything less than winning the race (or decent top 6 result) would have been a major failure and 'dent' his image as 'one of the worlds best driver'. Everybody would say "someone with his talent should have done better".

Now Badoer is driving, I think people aren't going to put much pressure on him (low expectations), as he has virtually no racing experience (+ they're not allowed to test, so not much test miles either).

Ps. that 1999 Williams looks awesome!
#9 - 5haz
Quote from manneF1 :People should let him drive and look after four-end of the season races and THEN say:
"But Schumi would do it better!"

But when do people ever do fair things like that?

Thrown in the deep end, will he sink or swim?
thats too bad for schumi , but a good chance for the test driver to shine.
SniffPetrol:

BREAKING NEWS: Michael Schumacher has just realised he's a squillionaire who doesn't need this shit.
lol
Yeah well done......

Kid already posted that......
10 years ago hmm i think that has absolutely no refference to today.

Badoer will do a decent job probably around the area of just scoring points im thinking.

If he betters Kimi, well there goes kimis job.
Quote from 5haz :But when do people ever do fair things like that?

Thrown in the deep end, will he sink or swim?

They will....

But i think he´s going to swim and kick out Raikkonen of to team
#17 - 5haz
I get the feeling Raikkonen wants to retire anyway.
#18 - wild
Quote from 5haz :I get the feeling Raikkonen wants to retire anyway.

I'm not sure if he wants to retire, but he certainly hasn't been the same driver we've seen before the 2007 season Maybe he'll get his finger out with Badoer there maybe he wont.
I think Kimi's 'rally side' is calling too much.. Don't think he'll be around F1 much longer..
I was sertanly suprised when i heard Badoer would replace Schumaher

I was sure it would be Gene,but i have high hopes in Badoer
Quote from Mustafur :
If he betters Kimi, well there goes kimis job.

The reason Schumi bailed was Kimi. Not being 100% fit serves as a good excuse as he would have lost, complaining about the neck after the race would have just been classic racing driver excuses which are always bullshit. Loosing against the unfit one time champion alcoholic who sucks at driving and is not interested in F1 anymore (which is all rubbish) would just shit all over Schumi's reputation as the best driver of all times.

And if Badoer was that fast he wouldn't be a full time test driver would he?
#22 - JJ72
Sorry but if i am Michael Schumacher I wouldn't worry about my racing cred cos no matter how I do as a stand in, it won't change my reputation at all.

People reading too much into news like this I suppose.
Quote from JJ72 :Sorry but if i am Michael Schumacher I wouldn't worry about my racing cred cos no matter how I do as a stand in, it won't change my reputation at all.

People reading too much into news like this I suppose.

Well you are not are you.

Racing driver is always as good as his last race.
assuming that ferrari are planning ahead rather than worrying about this season, badoer ( and possibly gene in later races?) kind of makes sense as it allows their test drivers to experience this years car in race conditions which has got to help with next year's car's preperation and testing.

additionally it's a nice reward for badoer's sacrafice in not racing in other series (if you can call being paid to drive an F1 car and other ferraris a sacrafice) and given how popular he's been in the past at their end of season festival, their fans will like it.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
#25 - DeKo
Quote from Sponge :Now Badoer is driving, I think people aren't going to put much pressure on him (low expectations), as he has virtually no racing experience (+ they're not allowed to test, so not much test miles either).

He competed in 48 grand prix's in the 90's, hardly unexperienced.

Luca Badoer will drive in European GP after Schumacher's withdrawal
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG