The online racing simulator
Custom F1 wheel for G25 and LFS
(46 posts, started )
Custom F1 wheel for G25 and LFS
After seeing a few custom steering wheels for various simulators, I decided to give it a shot myself. Here is the final product (click for big):

I drafted the layout in AutoCad over the course of a couple weeks while I was choosing electronics. The wheel itself is a .160" foam-core carbon fiber sandwich. Mounted on it are 12 push buttons and 7 rotating dials. Each rotating dial is technically two buttons; one button press for turning one direction and another button press for turning the opposite direction. I've mapped the buttons to a number of different functions and I'm going to do (or attempt ) some scripting magic to make the dials do real-time adjustments without having to reach for F keys.

The shift lights and gear indicator are controlled by the same unit (a USB HID device) that drives all the buttons. The LCD is a CrystalFontz character display connected via USB. My G25 now requires three USB connections to run.

I use both InSim and OutGuage to get information from the game to the LCD, the shift lights, and the gear indicator. The software is written entirely in Python using DarkTimes' fantastic Pyinsim library. Right now it displays all the stuff you see there (position, lap, fuel remaining, fuel consumption, speed, RPM) and some things you don't see there (lap time, best lap time, splits, sector times). I'm currently working on different display modes for qualifying and racing--in qualifying it will display the pole position time and the next-quickest driver's best time (unless you're on pole, then it will display the 2nd quickest driver's time), and in race mode it will display the times to the drivers immediately ahead and behind.

This is my first try at making something like this and I'm very pleased with it, but I've already identified some things that need improvement. The foam-core panel isn't quite as rigid as I would like, so the next version will be a solid CF sheet (I used foam-core to save a few bucks, I should have paid the premium for the real thing). I'll also try to find someone to laser-cut the panel because cutting with a band saw and grinding to shape with a rotary tool was kind of a pain in the ass. It could also use a few cosmetic touch-ups here and there, notably the grip tape around the handles. I would also install a USB hub inside the chassis to cut down on the number of cables.

More pics (again, click for big):

By request, pics of the back:

I'll create a short video when I get a chance this evening.

Let me know what you think!
Wow, that looks brilliant! Nice work. That had to cost lots of hard work to make it.
Vely Naise
That looks amazing. Great job.
Quote from Flame CZE :Wow, that looks brilliant! Nice work. That had to cost lots of hard work to make it.

It wasn't terribly expensive, actually (although I realize that's a relative term ). Total cost of parts on the wheel was about $350.
#6 - Myw
Sexy, pure sexy.
Snap I have that same Dell2407

Wow that really looks nice, I wonder if you could backlight the LCD?

Just out of interest could you post a pic of the back? I wonder how you've hidden all the wires from the back of the switches etc, or is that all inside the sandwich?

Super looking Wheel

Well done.

SD.
#8 - MR_B
Wrong section of the forum really but it's such a work of art I think it deserves a place in the main forum. Well done! A how-to guide would be fantastic!
I have to say.
I have a thread about an F1 wheel being made for me wich wasnt a succes.
But that wheel was a little bit better. Like the handels were 1 piece.
Though this looks awesome!
Quote from SparkyDave :I wonder if you could backlight the LCD?

I can't backlight this one, but I could easily swap it out for one that's already backlit. I didn't think I'd need a backlight (so far, that's held true, hope it stays that way) and it was quite a bit cheaper to go without.

Quote from SparkyDave :
Just out of interest could you post a pic of the back? I wonder how you've hidden all the wires from the back of the switches etc, or is that all inside the sandwich?

Well, the sandwich is very thin, I can't really get anything inside it. Right now everything is kind of exposed at the back, although I've bundled all the wiring and anchored it down to the panel where it's loose. It's a little ugly, but there's no risk of wires getting snagged and ripped off. That's another improvement for the next revision; I'll need to make a mold for a thin shell to cover the components. I'll post a pic later.

Quote from Vinnylegends :I have to say.
I have a thread about an F1 wheel being made for me wich wasnt a succes.
But that wheel was a little bit better. Like the handels were 1 piece.
Though this looks awesome!

I actually saw that thread, that was part of my inspiration. I used his Flickr album for ideas, both things to do and things not to do. Sorry it didn't work out.

Quote from MR_B :A how-to guide would be fantastic!

I'm planning on it. Unfortunately, I've had my hands pretty full lately (this was actually taking valuable time out of stuff I should have been doing ), so it won't happen soon. I totally understand where you're coming from though... I was a little disappointed to find a number of people doing projects like this and posting no information about them.
-
(Nadeo4441) DELETED by Nadeo4441
Cool. If you don't mind asking, how much does the stock G25 wheel weigh vs the CF one? Notice any difference in FFB?
Looking absolutely fantastic Maber!
GREAT job ! Love it !   

Now adjust the angle a bit, label the switches, and everything will be fine.
that m8 is summit else

When i saw the thread title I'll be honest i was expecting some hashed together pos .. wow was I suprised !!

People would pay money for that m8 , ya need to start churing em out

10/10
Oh god really nice, i want buy one!
Quote from Mojo1987 :Oh god really nice, i want buy one!

I'll take 2 or 3.  ( family race ... )
Thanks for all the kind replies, I'm glad you guys like it.

I've had a few questions that didn't make it to the thread, so I'll answer them here:

Quote :
Am I right to assume your PC is doing the communication (and logic) between LFS and the wheel display or does the wheel itself have an embedded chip that's handling that?

Yes, the PC does all the work and just sends data to the wheel. I use DarkTimes' Python library to get info from OutGauge and Insim, then communicate with the LCD over a COM port. The supplier for the U-HID device has a DLL (from a SDK for a different product called PacDrive) for talking to the LEDs; I loaded the DLL in Python and used the DLL functions to light them up. Other than the code I'm loading from the DLL, all the work is done on the PC in Python.

(By the way, mad props to DarkTimes, Pyinsim is a wonderful library... beats the pants off LFS_External and LFSLib.Net :razz

Quote :how much does the new wheel weigh compared to the standard G25 wheel?

I didn't actually weigh either wheel, but based on how it feels, I would guess that the new one weighs around half the original. It feels quite a bit different... Not only does it weigh a lot less, it also has half the moment of inertia (solid piece vs. a ring). I had to turn down the force strength a ton to keep it from ripping the wheel out of my hands.

Quote :I was wondering what "USB HID" device do you use to operate the leds and the gear indicator.

It's called U-HID, and it's sold by a company called Ultimarc.

Quote from DoC_uk :
People would pay money for that m8 , ya need to start churing em out

Quote from Mojo1987 :Oh god really nice, i want buy one!

Quote from Keling :I'll take 2 or 3.  ( family race ... )

I would not feel comfortable selling one identical to mine (there's too much that needs improvement), but once I get some of the bugs worked out, I will seriously make these to sell if anyone asks.

I also added pics of the back to the OP. They aren't very good, but they should give you an idea of what it looks like behind the scenes. As you can see, the wiring is something I need to clean up for the future. I got everything mostly bundled and out of the way, but it could be a lot cleaner.
Need video!!
Awesome! Good work mate.
I can't wait to see a video of it in action.
Looks nice!
I wish i had enough skill to make one
Can you tell me what kind of dials you've used?

I've been looking for a couple that give different signals depending on the direction of turn (1 button for left, 1 button for right) but haven't found one...

Would be sweet for adjusting rollbar/brakebalance, and do pit adjustments (like more/less fuel).
kinda weird having guitar-amp knobs on a formula 1 control unit...
No where do you see TC?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG