The online racing simulator
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Let the speculations begin!

It's perfectly normal that everybody thinks that next patch is going to be big since it's first time we wait so long for a patch (7months).
Quote from Sir moi 407 :It's perfectly normal that everybody thinks that next patch is going to be big since it's first time we wait so long for a patch (7months).

Hopefully they improve the tyre physics enough so that we actually have to make an effort to do a good start, rather than just planting the throttle.
Quote from danowat :reading between the lines, it seems the vee dub highlighted some (possibly glaring) issues in the tyre physics, hence a re-working of the physics engine and the delay.

Tbh, if this delay brings us better tyre physics, it can only be a good thing.

Quote from trekkerfahrer :agree

+ 1.000.000.000

If this turns out to be indeed treu and not just rumors i say GO DEVS!
A lot of people have been asking for new content, mainly tracks, but a good physics update that would forces us to learn how to drive and race again, if coupled with a face lift on the tracks and cars that haven´t been updated in a long time, could be a great way to make the "old" content became new again. If that´s the devs plan for the near future, it could be a good way to satisfy the long time players, that got bored with LFS, and at the same time atract new players to the game. Let´s hope for the best, and that this info that you got, doesn´t lead to another series of useless topics,that would serve no purpose than to disrupt the development work of LFS.
Physics updates will be interesting but I imagine it will not be quick to do, as changing one thing can have so many effects elsewhere. For example I can foresee that changing how tyres behave fundamentally could have effects on how tyres heat and cool (especially non-driven wheels), wear rates, car balancing (think GTR and TBO's ) etc. So it most likely will require a lot of testing and tweaking. But that is all stuff that I'd really welcome so Scavier take your time and when it is ready bring it on!
Will the physics changes force devs to delete all hotlaps?
Indeed. Having uploaded tons of hotlaps, which will most probably be slower, than the new ones will be, is pointless.
By the way, how much space do they take? There's over 1000 combos, 100 times more replays and each is around 1MB in size... so few gigs of memory.. 9-15?
Quote from traxxion :Hardly..? UF1@AS5 is 191 kB

Meh... I was just guessing, but iirc, some spr's had this size, because of their length. It's probably less files, than i thought.
Biggest WR SPR is UF1@FE1 which is 1,58MB, smallest WR SPR is BF1@WE1, which is 14,9KB, average WR SPR size is 113,54872710129310344827586206897KB.
Are you bored Shadowww?
Shadowww - you realise your average is given to less than 1 bit precision?

Quote from Kid222 :which will most probably be slower, than the new ones will be

I wouldn't bet on it.
Also, while we are being pedants, which average did you use? Mean? median? Mode? other I can't think of?
Quote from Bob Smith :Shadowww - you realise your average is given to less than 1 bit precision?

I just copy/pasted value from calculator.
#68 - senn
sounds like what i'd suspected, altho people saying that LFS is overly "understeery" i'm completely stumped about, it always felt pretty realistic for me, altho FXR's running 2 locked diffs and being the quickest setup, was messing with my head (surely clutchpacks would improve the handling/turn in/steering?!?!)

All sounds good, bring it on.
Quote from senn :sounds like what i'd suspected, altho people saying that LFS is overly "understeery" i'm completely stumped about, it always felt pretty realistic for me, altho FXR's running 2 locked diffs and being the quickest setup, was messing with my head (surely clutchpacks would improve the handling/turn in/steering?!?!)

All sounds good, bring it on.

I think there are several aspects to the tire physics that might be under some consideration. I think the use of the term "understeer" in this context is a bit general. In other words, Scawen might be working on some tire physics changes that will have an affect on car understeer. I doubt he would fix the code to reduce understeer. What I suspect he would do (if he is in fact doing anything) would be to work on better overall tire physics that will address some of the odd behaviors that we see which includes some of the understeer, oversteer, lateral grip, etc. That's not a simple thing at all.

It isn't like LFS uses look-up tables to figure out the tire physics. So you can't go in and find the "understeer" parameter and tweak it down a few notches. LFS doesn't work like that. LFS is more like working with the Unified Theory of Everything combining quantum physics and general relativity than it is working a Sudoku game.
Idealistically, a physical model of "all things tires" would be the way to go, and in the long term I beleive it is - no question.

I'd never driven a convincing spread-sheet sim until iRacing came along, it's startling to me that it's more convincing (tire wise) than LFS is at the moment. Of course, I suppose testing your own tires and having boundless data at your disposal probably helps in that regard...

I jumped back & forth between iR and LFS last night - about 6 stints in each in different cars. I used proper setups in LFS (no locked diffs or other wierd shit) to really try get a semi-comparable feel for both sims.

To be honest I hadn't really pinpointed the understeer "issue" in LFS before because I was using the goofy setups that people run WRs with and so forth... But with a "normal" setup, sure as shit, most vehicles just don't want to turn in for some reason. I have no idea why that is though.

Kaemmer stated in the iR chat session a few months ago that iR will be moving towards a unified physical model for their tires as well. Must be a daunting task taking all their data and trying to work it back into formulae that work most of the time.

One thing is for sure, this is a great time for sim racing with all this R&D going on.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I'd never driven a convincing spread-sheet sim until iRacing came along, it's startling to me that it's more convincing (tire wise) than LFS is at the moment.

O/T
Interesting. I have found that the understeer in iRacing is very unmanageable. I think that iRacing regains grip after sliding better than LFS does, but initial turn-in seems worse to me. It also feels like the mid-corner understeer is greatly exaggerated in iRacing. You can overcome it by steering a lot more, which also seems odd. But, it's so darned hard to tell sometimes without exhaustive testing because of differences in the tracks, cars, and setups.
O/T

If Scawen is working on the tire physics, I will be very interested in seeing what he comes up with. I would love to see setups in LFS that are more aligned with reality than what we see now.
#72 - senn
agreed, the whole locked diff thing (especially a locked front diff BLECH)
was concerning....

very interesting points being made here, i'm liking this thread
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Idealistically, a physical model of "all things tires" would be the way to go, and in the long term I beleive it is - no question.

I'd never driven a convincing spread-sheet sim until iRacing came along, it's startling to me that it's more convincing (tire wise) than LFS is at the moment. Of course, I suppose testing your own tires and having boundless data at your disposal probably helps in that regard...

I jumped back & forth between iR and LFS last night - about 6 stints in each in different cars. I used proper setups in LFS (no locked diffs or other wierd shit) to really try get a semi-comparable feel for both sims.

To be honest I hadn't really pinpointed the understeer "issue" in LFS before because I was using the goofy setups that people run WRs with and so forth... But with a "normal" setup, sure as shit, most vehicles just don't want to turn in for some reason. I have no idea why that is though.

Kaemmer stated in the iR chat session a few months ago that iR will be moving towards a unified physical model for their tires as well. Must be a daunting task taking all their data and trying to work it back into formulae that work most of the time.

One thing is for sure, this is a great time for sim racing with all this R&D going on.

Could be done with a regression analysis model...
/me hopes for brake heat.
/me watches the last few posts fly right over his head

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG