The online racing simulator
PC freeze problem
(80 posts, started )
hold on.You need to unplug also the power cord from powersupply. I saw few times when someone screwed his motherboard by doing clear CMOS and leaveing the powerplug in powersupply.

Be aware some powersupplys does not have on/off button!!!
Now that's some signature stuff
that is when someone talks to you and you are in the middle of word and the continue....

I have to deeply laugh myself
I have a bit of a hint about where it is, yes.
So...I'll try to locate that battery, and if I don't reply in an hour or two, then my PC's done. even more than it is atm. In case the CMOS thing doesn't work, then I'll be glad to hear suggestions about good Windows OS's (I'm thinking about retuning to Win98, but trying to keep a modern footprint).

@DEVIL 007: I always turn off my powersupply and unplug the cable before making changes to the PC, so no probs about that part. Thanks for caring though

EDIT: I took it out, waited some seconds, put it back in, and still nothing. I'll try putting some pics of it here.

edit number 2: here are some pics
Attached images
DSCF0335.JPG
DSCF0337.JPG
Quote from DEVIL 007 :that is when someone talks to you and you are in the middle of word and the continue....

I have to deeply laugh myself

We can see "Last edited by DEVIL 007; Today at 16:42."

nice try though

@senni: that's a very strange battery. Might want to make 30 seconds, though. If it had the 2 pins it would only take 3 seconds, but the battery will take a bit longer.
#33 - halo
@Senninha25; IMO, your problem is maybe related with loose power/data connections of the devices.
Most probably, you already did check those connections but sometimes wide data transfer cables of the HDs and CDRs are easily broken and there is no easy way to understand whether the cable is ok or not visually. Its better to replace those cables with new/tested one, especially HD data cable.

Recheck all the peripherals, cards and ram slots are ok (included CPU). Ensure they are dirt free, remove-clean the contacts with alcohol-reinstall if you are not sure. Overheating is also caused instant freezes as you may know. But you said you already cleaned the fans and heatsinks.

If you have more than one HDD, TV card, USB devices etc. remove them during troubleshooting. Sometimes a bad CDR or sound card may cause freeze.
Good Luck.
well, I'm about to give up now, since the battery procedure hasn't worked, even when I waited some time. Does anyone here know about Windows XP prices?
Quote from Senninha25 :well, I'm about to give up now, since the battery procedure hasn't worked, even when I waited some time. Does anyone here know about Windows XP prices?

If you don't know sure it's th OS, don't buy it. Because that would be a waste of money.
but I think it's the OS. I just want a fresh start from scratch. I can't believe my luck. Srsly, the PC's fine in school year, when I have basically no time to race in LFS. and then, in the holidays, this ****er just starts freezing out of nowhere. I'm getting into a situation where I can no longer put up with these problems. It even looks like I've been losing access to the PC's programs, first the WLM, then Windows Installer, and now I can't even work with a proper windows session.

Sorry for the rant but I just needed to get this off my head.
Try windows 7. Sounds like you have a virus, TBH.
nick, don't ****ing give up dude
I think I'll give this pc another try, then. I don't feellike giving up, but I can't think of something else to solve this problem.

mijnwraak, the first thing I did was defragging both HD's, cleaning registry, wiping e-shit and then scanning for viruses. Got nothing wrong except for windows installer not installing and wlm getting an 80040154.
go here

download that

burn it to an empty cd

boot from it and see how that goes

when it boots, do what it says.
If it is a virus or very bad malware, you can try COMBOFIX.
http://www.combofix.org/
Just follow onscreen instructions for using combofix, it may take time to finish, and you WILL have to disable any other anti virus, anti spyware programs that have real time monitoring.
My PC had bad infection and combofix was only way to remove it, i tried malwarebytes, spyware doctor, spybot S&D, yet combofix was the only program that fixed my problems. The good thing about combofix is that it automatically downloads and installs microsoft recovery console (and it's free), this is a good thing cause most anti virus, anti malware programs just delete the infected files or disinfect them. Combofix on the other hand deletes the infected files and replaces them with new uninfected files from the microsoft recovery console.
Then again your constant freezing of your comp could be from another source, for example: faulty power rails on your power supply, data cables breaking down, hard drive faulty, motherboard components or other components showing intermittant faults like your RAM (Memory), you could search for and download memtest to test your RAM, also as a previous poster said, defrag hard drive, clean registry. And make sure your comp is not overheating
i really really really really do not want to sound condescending or anything, but i would not trust any kind of "fix it all" software. once compromised, you can not trust anything on it, no matter how much you fix it.

your other advice, however, is very very good

Nick, can you take a photo, a high res photo of your motherboard? i am particularly interested in this: (pic to follow soon)

@ george_tsiros, i'm a PC engineer and my reference to combofix was merely a suggestion to prevent a reformat and reinstallation of his OS.
When my PC became badly infected due to visiting a certain warez site, none of the mentioned software in my previous post could remove the infection, the infection also disabled editing my registry, so i could not remove registry entries via regedit.....tried all the options to enable regedit, but non worked.....combofix was the only way to get rid of infection without having to format and reinstall windows.....and when combofix downloads microsoft recovery it downloads it from microsoft site which all appears on the screen.....before i used combofix i did not have an option on bootup to enter "microsoft recovery console" or "windows XP", but after using combofix i do have that option, so it does in fact download and install microsoft recovery console.
The main thing after removing a bad infection is to keep an eye on your system processes in task manager and also network activity in your firwall to make sure there are no dodgy connections being made by a program you don't recognise......when i install windows and all my programs and games i check to see how many processes are running and i check my network connections in my firewall, i know exactly how many processes are running on my comp.....and the time my comp got compromised my number of processes increased by 10, after combofix had fixed my problem, my processes went back to the number they were before infection........let's put it one way, i'm very very against hackers, and would never recommend anyone dodgy software, i recommend software that worked for me in a situation that i was tearing my hair out trying to fix, this infection rendered malwarebytes, spyware doctor, spybot S&D and kaspersky internet security suite 7 useless. And i found reference to combofix on an anti virus help forum where you post your hijackthis log and an experienced member of the forum reads your log and helps you remove any nasty shit on your PC, so i think if people like that recommend combofix....then it's fair to say it's a program that can be trusted.

if you don't believe me...search for combofix and read the many PC tech forums and sites that recommend it......here is just one: http://www.tech-faq.com/combofix.shtml

Also may i add that my other anti spyware and anti malware programs did detect my infection, but couldn't remove them....so i knew the name of the infection and searched internet for information on how to remove it, that's how i came across combofix. As i said the original posters comp freezes might not be due to his PC being infected, it could be one of a multitude of things wrong with his comp, as any good PC technician knows "you have to be at the problem comp" to go through your process of elimination to find the exact root of the problem. If the original poster could inform us of any error messages and what they say....then i think with a few of us willing to do a bit of searching on these error messages we can help him as quickly as possible.......as was said before, if it's an old comp then things do break down, and it might be a terminal breakdown of a mobo component that can't be fixed......or it could be something simple.....but as we are not in front of the comp we can't help unless we get correct info and error messages, if any, passed to us.
-
({CA}Nighthawk) DELETED by {CA}Nighthawk : wrong info
Quote from {CA}Nighthawk :@ george_tsiros, i'm a PC engineer

stop reading right there.
kudos for the lengthy post, sorry i won't read it and sorry i have to be so condescending again [size](glancing at it, seems off topic, anyway)[/size]
well, ComboFix is quite a good tool to use. I'll put here a log.
It removed a shitload of stuff in the span of 10 minutes that MalwareBytes didn't detect in a 4 hour full scan. Still that didn't solve the problem. While restarting, it went to a normal windows session. and damn. the monitor resetted (or refreshed) and all I could see was half of the cursor.
Attached files
log.txt - 25.2 KB - 230 views
@ george_tsiros, condescending, you actually mean snooty ignorant and so full of it your head is up your own ass. I come on this forum and if i see any posts that i can help others with my PC knowledge, who maybe are not as clued up as others, then yes i offer any help, tips and links to software that i know works and i more or less get told by you to "piss off your help is not needed".....now i looked at your profile and it seems to me that because you do coding, you think you know everything about a computer....PMSL. The last guy who i knew that was a coder and computer programmer knew jack shit about how to even upgrade his PC.....now i'm not saying you don't know anything about PC building and troubleshooting......just the way you replied to my posts was to me not acceptable.....and totally stinked of...."i know better".....also your response to me saying i'm a PC engineer also didn't go down too well with me.....it was as if you frowned upon me mentioning it. I'm qualified compTIA A+ and N+for network engineering aswell. I offer kindly to try and help yet all i get are smug remarks from you.....who the hell do you think you are!!!! i don't take shit from no-one especially some jumped up coder who thinks he knows it all.
Tell you what....it'll be the last time i post on this forum....or try to help. I don't like smartasses who think they are IT!!!
#47 - halo
@Nighthawk; Since you are in engineering business you should have known better. There could be some obstacles on the road but keep going, do the right thing, try to help others without paying attention to negative ppl.
Keep posting, you might help ones that need it.

@Senninha25; IMHO, if you can put at your first post a list of stuff you tried to fix your problem ppl might have check and offer different solutions.
great...I needed some more tips from Nighthawk...
GUys, sorry for double-posting but I think I know what it is! I checked te linkage to the monitor and the graphics card and the cable is missing some spikes already. I've been relating things here and it shows that when I plugged the cable in or off, the problem got worse. So the problem's not related to the system anymore. It's in a good time since the monitor is old (and already has some dents in the screen), the graphics card (Nvidia MX440) is also aging and the cable isn't in a good condition.
So, does anyone know a good cheap TFT monitor, a good DDR Graphics Card and a good cable?

Cheers.
uh... not all cables have all the connectors. are you sure they fell off?

PC freeze problem
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG