The online racing simulator
PC freeze problem
(80 posts, started )
PC freeze problem
Hi all,

It's me again with one of my freak problems with my PC. Well it seems that this time the PC freezes after a short "monitor refresh". With this I mean that lights go off, and when they go back on, nothing is working, and most of the times showing flaws like half a cursor and many other crazy flaws and stuff.
It started to show with LFS, when all I did was push the throttle as mild as possible and then bam, freeze. Next day, I had to restart the PC 3 times at least for everything to work, and if I didn't want it to freeze again, I had to avoid playing certain games. Two weeks later, I had to restart it 9 times to get it working without freezing.
I tried dusting off the processor and graphics card, including many other parts. The first two ones were indeed full of shit, so I cleaned them (...) and turned the PC back on. Well, things became even worse. The bloody bugger would freeze on the logon screen, and I didn't need that much effort, just a slight cursor move and I had to go over and over again.
Right now I'm posting from Safe Mode, I tried defragmenting both HDD's, scanning for viruses, malwares, cleaning registry, wiping shit off the PC, but nothing worked. Not to mention that WLM doesn't still work and Windows Installer stopped working (uninstalled and reinstallation won't work).
Anyway, at this stage I haven't got many solutions left to fix this, I'm really frustrated with this, so frustrated that I could pick up a ****ing sledgehammer and trash this crap to pieces, and I'm out of money for super glue after the rage I let go on it (yes, the problem is that annoying).

Scanning for viruses and malware...found stuff but FAILED
Cleaning registry...also found stuff but FAILED
Resetting CMOS Battery...FAILED
Replacing monitor, graphics card and linkage cable...Looking for prices
Go on...

...make its day.

but srsly? sounds like your hardware is dying. either the mobo or the psu. hopefuly none

wait... you said it works in safe mode but not properly? which means that the vid card might fail when its driver gets loaded but work with the generic driver (Without acceleration).

i'd look into that. maybe.
If you have a copy of XP (im guessing thats your OS?) then i would just re-install windoze and see if it helps, total wipe and start from afresh.

If its as bad as you say then its got to be worth a try IMO
Quote from danthebangerboy :If you have a copy of XP (im guessing thats your OS?) then i would just re-install windoze and see if it helps, total wipe and start from afresh.

that'll be my last solution after everything fails.
i'd strongly recommend what danthebangerboy suggests.
Quote from danthebangerboy :If you have a copy of XP (im guessing thats your OS?) then i would just re-install windoze and see if it helps, total wipe and start from afresh.

I dont think that windows can force computer from not working. I belive its in the BIOS. Try to reset the CMOS

Also, it might be short circuit, try Prime95 for stability test. If it goes off while doing the test then something is wrong - anyways, inform us.
Quote from hazaky :I dont think that windows can force computer from not working. I belive its in the BIOS. Try to reset the CMOS

Also, it might be short circuit, try Prime95 for stability test. If it goes off while doing the test then something is wrong - anyways, inform us.

BIOS (Basic In/Out System) only effects things that happen before windows starts, all it does is tell which piece of hardware what to do and when to do it, so this kind of problem will almost certianly be OS based, if it was indeed BIOS baed then the PC would never boot into windows.
uh...this is embarassing for me since I'm almost a know-it-all with DOS, but how do I reset CMOS?
#9 - CSU1

+1

...and stop shitting in your PC senninah25, it's a very bad habbit
Try booting from Ubuntu live CD. If everything is flawless there, reinstall XP.
Quote :...and stop shitting in your PC senninah25, it's a very bad habbit

no, it isn't EDIT: well, ok, it's a bad habbit, but not a bad choice when running out of ideas and the pc is stubborn LOL

my father, ooooold coder, on the phone:

"good evening... yes, everything here is fine... oh... i'm listening... yes... yes... ah... well i can't be of much help from the phone but... try wiggling the cabl-- oh... i see... Well you can try something... turn it off and whack it, not too hard but enough... yeah... ok i'll be waiting"

hangs up and tells me "naaaah... they won't possibly try it..."

5 minutes later, phone rings

"Yes? Yes... oh, did it?... Ahahaha, good! now immediately get an external drive and start copying files... yes... well, glad to have been of help!"
#12 - CSU1
:sheep::noob:

He's a pro
how do I reset CMOS then? any ideas?
#14 - CSU1
Just remove the small battery from motherboard for ~10 minutes to reset CMOS.
no, do not remove the battery.

near the battery there will be a jumper with "CLR" or "CMOS" or "RST" under it.

you turn off your computer, take out the blue thing you see in the pic and connect it to the two other pins (2-3) for a second and then put it back to where it was (1-2)
Quote from CSU1 :
So you have no Windows install disk handy?...

no. that pretty much means I'm screwed, right?
Quote from george_tsiros :no, do not remove the battery.

near the battery there will be a jumper with "CLR" or "CMOS" or "RST" under it.

you turn off your computer, take out the blue thing you see in the pic and connect it to the two other pins (2-3) for a second and then put it back to where it was (1-2)

so I have to make something to that hammer on the pic?
There are two pins near the CMOS battery. Short them for ~5 seconds with anything metal (screwdriver will be fine) and then start computer. There is no way this will damage your PC, unless you somehow jab the screwdriver into the socket or something. Unplug your PC first.
and where can I locate that battery? I know there are many different motherboards, but I checked mine and didn't manage to locate the CMOS battery.
if i say "somewhere on the motherboard" will you reply with "what's that?" or something?

it might be covered with plastic or something.

the battery is the shinny round thing you see in the pic above.
I can't see those pics somehow...it shows another thing rather than a motherboard.
Yeah, all we see is a small picture of a cartoon looking hammer with toms hardware guide written underneath it.

Try this one..

And as for not removing the battery, i don't know of any reason why you shouldn't do it that way, as it has the same effect as using the jumper reset method.

My old PC had to be done like that because the jumper had been jammed onto the pins so tightly i would have broken the board trying to take it off.

Resetting that by removing the battery never caused a problem at all.
#25 - CSU1
Quote from danthebangerboy :And as for not removing the battery, i don't know of any reason why you shouldn't do it that way, as it has the same effect as using the jumper reset method.

My old PC had to be done like that because the jumper had been jammed onto the pins so tightly i would have broken the board trying to take it off.

Resetting that by removing the battery never caused a problem at all.

...I guess it's easyer to jump the jumper(?) than get a tool or earth-strap for your wrist to remove the battery, as with all small batterys the second you touch it it starts to die

PC freeze problem
(80 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG