The online racing simulator
PS3 questions...
(87 posts, started )
i paid 320 Quid for mine , dam , 180 now , this was only 1 and a half years ago . but i wanted the ps2 compat , so i got a 60g .
Is it worth keeping my PS2 then?
Depends how much you're likely to use it
#29 - Migz
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Is it worth keeping my PS2 then?

May as well keep it, just incase they dont make any emulation sort of thing.

This is why i love my PS3, it's one of the first ones, and one of the few ones which is 60GB, has all the memory card readers, is fully backwards compatable and has 4USB slots. Along with HDMI Out and Optical Out.
Selling it? :P

Hmm...what to do with my PS2, as in should I move it or...?
Quote from Dajmin :Depends how much you're likely to use it

PC use: 14hrs a day
PS2 use: rest of day

'nuff said :P
Bump

How to connect to a PC monitor, Google confuses me
#33 - Migz
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Bump

How to connect to a PC monitor, Google confuses me

What is the like input slot thing on your PC monitor?
DVI? HDMI? Whaa?
Standard VGA I think, how to find out?, I already have a tuner box that connects PS2 to PC monitor with a switch, my (flawed?) logic being that I could connect PS3 to that?
#35 - Migz
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Standard VGA, I already have a tuner box that connects PS2 to PC monitor with a switch, my (flawed?) logic being that I could connect PS3 to that?

You should be able to just use the cable that plugs into the back of the PS2, as in the back of my PS3 it has a port thing for HDMI and for the same kind of cable the PS2 uses, unless the new PS3's dont have that in the back of them. But i know mine does :/

Edit:

Ignore the three cables on the right.
Look at the cable on the left, do you have a cable like that which goes into the back of your PS2?
Because if so, then as long as your PS3 has the exact same space in the back for that cable. Then a simple plugging that cable into your PS3 will work fine
Quote from DieKolkrabe :PC use: 14hrs a day
PS2 use: rest of day

'nuff said :P

If you played all the best games like GOW 1 and 2, ICO, SOTC, Metal Gear Series etc, then let's say you don't need it.. But why sell it for some low price (if you're not really in need for some cash), it's the best console with the best gaming library, may aswell keep it just for those facts I'm saying this cause i've sold mine in 2005 (had it for two months) and never got the chance to play GOW 2, ICO and SoTC, and i'm hating myself ever since.
Quote from Migz :
This is why i love my PS3, it's one of the first ones, and one of the few ones which is 60GB, has all the memory card readers, is fully backwards compatable and has 4USB slots. Along with HDMI Out and Optical Out.

Show off.

Oh yeah, is that right about all PS3s being able to run PS1 games? I've got the original PS1 Formula 1 game (the first Psygnosis F1 game), which I would dearly love to play on my TV in the lounge. Gonna try it when I get back from work.
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :Show off.

Oh yeah, is that right about all PS3s being able to run PS1 games? I've got the original PS1 Formula 1 game (the first Psygnosis F1 game), which I would dearly love to play on my TV in the lounge. Gonna try it when I get back from work.

Yes. Just be aware that PS1 games are region locked, so if you have for example NTSC PS1 game, it probably won't work on PAL PS3, and vice versa..
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :Oh yeah, is that right about all PS3s being able to run PS1 games?

So I understand. But don't quote me on it, because I've never tried

Check here, although the US versions of the console are slightly different to the Euro ones.

Bottom line is yes, most PS1 games should work on pretty much any PS3.
#40 - Migz
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :Show off.

Hell yeah haha, i payed a crazy ammount for mine, and i was one of the first batch of people in the uk to get one.
So of course im gonna show off haha :P
The only drawback is that its only 60gb, and right now i have just under 1gb left .
But then again, i do have 20gb partitioned away for linux which i really need to get rid of.
Quote from Migz :You should be able to just use the cable that plugs into the back of the PS2, as in the back of my PS3 it has a port thing for HDMI and for the same kind of cable the PS2 uses, unless the new PS3's dont have that in the back of them. But i know mine does :/

Edit:

Ignore the three cables on the right.
Look at the cable on the left, do you have a cable like that which goes into the back of your PS2?
Because if so, then as long as your PS3 has the exact same space in the back for that cable. Then a simple plugging that cable into your PS3 will work fine

But I thought you needed a HDMI cable? I have a VGA adapter from my PS2 -> PC -> Monitor

So if I plug that cable into the adapter, you're saying it'll work?
#42 - Jakg
Can't you upgrade the HDD in the 60GB model, retaining all the benefits of that model (i.e. PS2 backwards capability) but getting a larger HDD?

It's around £80 for a 500GB HDD...
So if I just slot in a 60gb HDD I'd get backwards compatability, even if it didn't have it as standard?

LMAO this guy keeps trying to sell me an extra controller which I don't want. Ten points for effort, every e-mail ends with "Are you sure you don't want the controller and games?"

Gotta love us Northerners
You can, the PS3 takes a standard laptop HDD. The switch is fairly straightforward too, but obviously invalidates any warranty.

It supports externals too, but you can't install games to those.

Thing is, unless you have way too much money to buy or download games, 100Gb on a console will last ages. Less on the PS3 because of the installs, but even then not every game does it and most save files are only a couple of Mb. I don't expect my 80Gb to last forever (my 360's 20Gb is full) but it isn't going to fill up any time soon. But I'd happily upgrade to a big laptop hard drive when that happens.
If it saves to a HD, then why a memory card?
Quote from Dajmin :You can, the PS3 takes a standard laptop HDD. The switch is fairly straightforward too, but obviously invalidates any warranty.

Actually... It doesn't invalidate the warranty on the console.
#47 - Jakg
Quote from DieKolkrabe :So if I just slot in a 60gb HDD I'd get backwards compatability, even if it didn't have it as standard?

No - only the model marketed as the 60GB has the backwards compatibility. Theres nothing stopping you replacing the HDD in it with anything, you'll retain that feature.
I see, I thought there was a hack or something to get PS2 games playing on PS3 (like Swap Magic f.ex)
Nah, PS1 and PS3 games work on all PS3's. There was one model of PS3's produced that had the extra hardware (E.G. a PS2) that would play PS2 games but they took it out for cost cutting. Although I'd bet a large sum of hair that at some point a software update will add PS2 compatibility.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Actually... It doesn't invalidate the warranty on the console.

This. It's actually encouraged by SONY that you can put a bigger HDD

BTW, they recently patented a PS2 engine for the Cell processor, so that could mean something regarding PS2 backwards compatibility..

PS3 questions...
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG