The online racing simulator
PS3 questions...
(87 posts, started )
PS3 questions...
Okay, so I'm looking into getting a PS3, and have some questions

1. Are the games region locked, e.g. if I buy a PS3 over here and import an American/Canadian game, it'd play without using trickery?

2. Can it be hooked up to a PC monitor (I have my PS2 hooked up to my monitor already)

3. Suggestions for good games? I've already got LBP on my list to get
Not sure about the first or 3rd question but the 2nd question, it is possible but the adapter you need is pretty expensive. I tried to get one for my PS3 and it was £80
#3 - CSU1
Just wait for the PS4 to come out, it has mor buttons

Good games? hmm.....tough one that.

I guess Wipeout HD is a worthy purchase, LBP didn't float my boat at all, GT5p is good fun, but there is a serious lack of content.

I also got some game off the PSN where you put rubbish into a bin, can't remember what its called, but its good fun.

TBH, my PS3 gets no use AT ALL, which is a shame.
Battlefield 1943 is great
So is it worth it (bearing in mind I use my PS2 a lot)?

I found one for £190
Quote from DieKolkrabe :So is it worth it (bearing in mind I use my PS2 a lot)?

I found one for £190

What gb is it? And i personally think its worth it, plus its a bluray player..

1. Are the games region locked, Im 99.99% sure that you can play any game from any region.. some one confirm this :P

2. Can it be hooked up to a PC monitor, Yes as Bawbag said

3. Suggestions for good games?

GT5/P
LBP
Uncharted /2
Resistance /2
Motorstorm /2
MGS4

and loads more

Battlefield: Bad Company is good.
Quote from lukelfs :What gb is it? And i personally think its worth it, plus its a bluray player..

1. Are the games region locked, Im 99.99% sure that you can play any game from any region.. some one confirm this :P

2. Can it be hooked up to a PC monitor, Yes as Bawbag said

3. Suggestions for good games?

GT5/P
LBP
Uncharted /2
Resistance /2
Motorstorm /2
MGS4

and loads more

It's 40GB, I already have an adapter to hook my PS2 up to my monitor, I can just put the PS3 in that right?

EDIT: Info: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI ... :IT&item=120447168843
I quit enjoy Saints Row 2 and FUEL. Killzone 2 is pretty damn good as well. I haven't bought InFamous yet, but from the demo it seems to be a great game. Same goes for Prototype.
Already got Prototype on PC and enjoy it immensely

Is GTAIV on PS3 better than on PC? If so I may pick up a copy, since IV on PC is shite.

Also Killzone 2's now on my list after watching Youtube vids

This is gonna be one expensive few months...

What's FUEL about? I've not found much about it
Try the fuel demo first, I did, and it was pants
I Couldn't find a FUEL demo (probably just me being daft) so I just plunged and bought it. I actually enjoy it immensely. The game is basically a huge open-world map set in an alternate present where the climate has decimated a large portion of the US, and you have some off-roading vehicles. Some tornados sprinkled about (I've only found one race so far, though) for some added zing.

As for GTAIV, that depends, I guess, on what about the PC version you think is shite. I'd imagine the story and gameplay is all exactly the same, just on the PS3 I guess you could expect better performance that what I hear the PC version has been having for a lot of people.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Okay, so I'm looking into getting a PS3, and have some questions

1. Are the games region locked, e.g. if I buy a PS3 over here and import an American/Canadian game, it'd play without using trickery?

2. Can it be hooked up to a PC monitor (I have my PS2 hooked up to my monitor already)

3. Suggestions for good games? I've already got LBP on my list to get

1. Games are not region locked, but multiplayer part on some games is. So, you import an US game and you only have US servers available to play.. But majority of games don't have region locked servers.

2. Yes. You just need a HDCP compliant monitor. You can check that in the specifications.. It needs DVI offcourse, or HDMI. In DVI case you have those HDMI-DVI cables, or you can buy HDMI to DVI adapter (couple of euros here) and hook it up on the HDMI cable..

3. Killzone 2 (for sure), Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, LBP, Street Fighter 4, GTA IV, Wipeout HD, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift etc.. Be sure to check out Uncharted 2 this fall (but play Uncharted 1 first ), Heavy Rain (possibly 2010), God of fu*ing War 3 etc..
#16 - JJ72
Quote from DieKolkrabe : Is GTAIV on PS3 better than on PC? If so I may pick up a copy, since IV on PC is shite.

PS3 have garunteed performance and pretty much bug free, but I am more inclined to the mouse and keyboard control scheme on the PC.
Quote from Boris Lozac :2. Yes. You just need a HDCP compliant monitor. You can check that in the specifications.. It needs DVI offcourse, or HDMI. In DVI case you have those HDMI-DVI cables, or you can buy HDMI to DVI adapter (couple of euros here) and hook it up on the HDMI cable..

I can play games in 1080p fine on my non-compliant Asus VW222U, no problems with streamed HD content either. I guess it really only matters for bluray

Only problem I have with my monitor is that it doesn't support 576i, makes the initial setup a bit tricky
Quote from trebor901 :Battlefield 1943 is great

I'd agree strongly. It's a cheap PSN game, but lots of fun.

Battlefield Bad Company is fun too (uses the same game engine), and Bad Company 2 should be good too.

Resistance 2 / Killzone 2 are good too

GTA4 is good, but will be the same except for some more consistent framerate

COD4/COD5 are pretty good too, COD4 now finally falling in price (at least over here).

Burnout Paradise is pretty fun too. It should be really cheap now that it's a greatest hit, the only downside to it is that there's a lot of downloadable (for money) content and my inital update took 45 mins.
#19 - Migz
Quote from JJ72 :PS3 have garunteed performance and pretty much bug free, but I am more inclined to the mouse and keyboard control scheme on the PC.

The PS3 should have garunteed performance.
But GTA IV can still lag.
If you decide to drive on the pavement and run over lots of people then you can start to lag.
If you do anything which requires lots of physics calculations then GTA will lag a bit, even on the PS3
Hmm, does anyone know what the cheapest price I can get for a good PS3 is?

I'm gonna offer the guy on eBay £50-100 for it, but if I can get one for cheaper/quicker
#21 - Migz
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hmm, does anyone know what the cheapest price I can get for a good PS3 is?

I'm gonna offer the guy on eBay £50-100 for it, but if I can get one for cheaper/quicker

I'd say just get that, i doubt your going to get a PS3 for much cheaper then that.
BUT dont listen to me, because the last time i checked how much a PS3 cost was when i bought mine a few years ago, and back then it was around £500.
So by now the prices have gone down :/ Just god knows by how much.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Hmm, does anyone know what the cheapest price I can get for a good PS3 is?

I wouldnt expect him to sell it for less than £100, but you might aswell ask , I think they are going for like £180+ atm??
Spoke to him, said he wouldn't take less than £200, I settled for a 40GB one off play.com for £195

EDIT: Damn, not backwards compatible, I now have a real reason to keep my PS2
Now to get games...
No backwards compatibility with PS2, but apparently all PS3s will run PS1 games. Of course then you have to deal with crazy low-res/low polycount graphics on a big screen.
And they are talking about adding new emulation software for PS2 games, although I can't see it happening since they'd lose revenue from reselling them on PSN

Can't fault Boris' games list up there. Just finished the KZ2 campaign and currently getting my ass kicked in multiplayer
I'm gonna buy (Over a period of months):

Killzone 2
Uncharted
FUEL
GTA IV
MGS4

PS3 questions...
(87 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG