The online racing simulator
How many cars make a "good race"?
(53 posts, started )

Poll : How many cars minimum for a good race

16+
8 - 16
2 - 8
At least 2
Quote from G!NhO :Quality/clean racing may go down but more cars means more bettles and that is more fun.

I definately agree with this, on usual public races there's problems with large grids which is even worse on small tracks due to constantly having to lap slower cars. But no matter what track you're on, larger field makes T1 mess even more likely and I got fed up with whole restart vote spam everytime someone crashed out. Thankfully it seems that there's more and more servers which have it disabled.

But on the otherhand, I've also had some great racing on Lime Rock Park which is only 2,5km long circuit and Formula Mazda completes a lap in 46 seconds. Combining that with 20 car grid which makes competition very intense and you got yourself 45 minutes of adrenaline rush.
As many as possible
Ignoring the skill of the drivers, the controller I think would dictate the grid size. With a pad which, (to pull a figure entirely out of the air) 95% of console racers will be using, unless you're an alien you just don't have the fine control needed to drive cleanly in a large pack.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Ignoring the skill of the drivers, the controller I think would dictate the grid size. With a pad which, (to pull a figure entirely out of the air) 95% of console racers will be using, unless you're an alien you just don't have the fine control needed to drive cleanly in a large pack.

But everyone is in the same boat, they all just need to allow more room.
You're restricted by the track though, you can only give so much more room.

For a given track, with wheels, it'd be a lot easier for the pack to go round T1 three abreast than if everyone was on pads. And with a bigger pack, the chances of everyone trying to go round 3 abreast is increased.

Also with console racing, as a general rule, people don't take the racing as seriously on the PC (*obviously* I'm implying that there are exceptions) so the chances of people trying to do the above when they really shouldn't, are increased too.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Also with console racing, as a general rule, people don't take the racing as seriously on the PC (*obviously* I'm implying that there are exceptions) so the chances of people trying to do the above when they really shouldn't, are increased too.

There are definately 2 distincts camps on console racing, those that don't take it seriously AT ALL, and those that take it really seriously.

I quite easy to detect what type of "room" you are in quite quickly.

I have had some very, very good races on Forza 2.
Quote from danowat :There are definately 2 distincts camps on console racing, those that don't take it seriously AT ALL, and those that take it really seriously.

I quite easy to detect what type of "room" you are in quite quickly.

I have had some very, very good races on Forza 2.

i have never had a "proper" race on ps3, apart from dirt, where you are doing time trials. then again, has anyone ever had a good race on grid?
Quote from oli17 :i have never had a "proper" race on ps3, apart from dirt, where you are doing time trials. then again, has anyone ever had a good race on grid?

Every single race I have attempted online on GT5p has ended in a complete nightmare for me, likewise with GRID.

Forza 2 seems to attract people who can actually go round corners, of course there are a lot of numptys on there, but at least there are some good racers on Forza that actually care about racing.
I have had great races with Grid Sure, there was allways an idiot or two on the server, but most people were friendly and fun, and did offer good/clean and tight races.
30+ Then starting from the back can be an absolute blast but you get those times where you have 1 incident which takes you out (generally quite alot). Still in pick-up racing id rather start from the back than go to the front and win with a boring race anyday.
I've had a few good races on Forza 2. I even had some good racing on PGR3 back in the day, but obviously it doesn't have the same sort of damage consequences and handling characteristics. The Forza 2 community does seem to be mainly populated by people who want good clean races, which is a good thing. I guess for the wreckers and people who just want a mess around, there are much better options. Grid's damage model, for example.

Oh, how terribly off-topic. Err... all you need is you plus one. Think I've covered this ground already.
I like the thought of some good racing on a 30+ car grid, but everytime i try, someone usually lags and side barges multiple cars including mine off the track as the race starts like there is an invisible force pushing them, and my game turns into a slideshow of about 3 fps when i get to t1, if i get there.
LFS: 8-20 all tracks

rFactor: 20 or less on a track smaller than 2 miles.Up to 50 on a track like LeMans, Spa, or Nords. The AI and people in rFactor are alot less suicidal.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :As much as possible.

8 is worthless.

:clapclap:Lol, completely agree.
What's the point of an 8 car field? Feels like empty racing. The more the better, (unless you have the shittiest PC in the LFSForum community (mine)) because there is a certain variety of cars (not always) and also the danger of lapping in a 30+ cars field.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :LFS: 8-20 all tracks

rFactor: 20 or less on a track smaller than 2 miles.Up to 50 on a track like LeMans, Spa, or Nords. The AI and people in rFactor are alot less suicidal.

Not what i saw, i did the megane mod online once and oh MAN! I think we started off with 20 cars on monza and after the first turn everybody was all over the place.
however many friendly and well matched drivers you can find
almost all of the most enjoyable races ive had were against 1 other driver who did bang on the exact same times as i did
Quote from G!NhO :Not what i saw, i did the megane mod online once and oh MAN! I think we started off with 20 cars on monza and after the first turn everybody was all over the place.

Thats a easy track to infer that it's flatout all the way around for a new person
I wonder if the voters understood the poll right.

Do half of the people who voted (atm) really think that you need more than 16 cars to have a good race?

You can definately have good races with "only" 2 cars, just look at H2H.
right.

I'd rather have 16+ cars than 2.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :right.

I'd rather have 16+ cars than 2.

That is not the question.

The question is how many cars are the MINIMUM to have a good race. Are you really saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a good race with 3 or 4 cars?
It doesn't say anything about MINIMUM, it says how many cars do you think make a good race.

From a spectator a race with 2 cars is boring as shit, although H2H is different because its very short race, but it can be really fun to race it yourself.

A race with 20 cars is much more exciting than a 2 car race, from both spectator and racer viewpoints.
Quote from G!NhO :It doesn't say anything about MINIMUM, it says how many cars do you think make a good race.

Of course it does. Read the actual poll question, ffs.

Quote from G!NhO :A race with 20 cars is much more exciting than a 2 car race, from both spectator and racer viewpoints.

You can't say that this generally. If you have 2 cars racing close to each other or you have 20 cars 3 seconds apart from each other after 1 lap, which one will be more exciting?
Quote from zeugnimod :Of course it does. Read the actual poll question, ffs.

You can't say that this generally. If you have 2 cars racing close to each other or you have 20 cars 3 seconds apart from each other after 1 lap, which one will be more exciting?

Most of the times racing with 20 cars is alot closer than only 2 cars.
Quote from G!NhO :Most of the times racing with 20 cars is alot closer than only 2 cars.

That is not the point. Is it sooo hard to read and answer the actual poll question?
It is my points against yours thats about close racing, and i don't agree with you thats why.

And yes i read the question...

How many cars make a "good race"?
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG