The online racing simulator
Americas Army 3
(37 posts, started )
it was updated this morning aswell
Buy yourself ArmA2, find a good solid online community (6th Sense, Tactical Gamer, ShackTac if you really want some good mil-simming) and you're in mil-sim heaven.

Quote :No hud. It also means no radial menu so you cannot do certain actions like chose a 40mm smoke grenade. You also do not know when ammo runs out, how much HP you have, stamina, etc.

I can understand if there being no HUD means access to critical menu points is cut-off, but why would you need a HUD? You don't have one in your eyesight do you? You cant just look infronot of you to see how many rounds you have left in the mag, how much stamina or health you have left?

Yes, I *know* it's a game, but if you're after realism (which tbh I would have though a game dev'd by an actual mil source would be!) hen a HUD is out of the question.

"HOW WILL I TELL I IZ GONNA RUN TO DAT COVERZ?" I hear you cry. Well, as ArmA 1&2 prove, For stamina, the further you sprint, the more you'll hear yourself breathe. When you come to a stop your aim will have decreased significantly and if you sprint too far you'll be stuck to a brief jog or walking. In the "Advanced Combat Environment" (refered to as ACE from now) mod for ArmA (soon to be converted to #2) You'll pass out from exhaustion.

Health: Visible blood, aiming ability is decreased. If a heavy shot to the legs is took, you'll have to crawl about. In ACE you'll bleed. You'll hear signs of pain (grunts, screams etc) and eventually pass out. If your heart stops, you need an epinephrine injection fast, some morphine & some good bandaging!

Ammo: In Arma 1&2s case, you either reload after prolonged firing to limit the chances of hearing a click instead of a bang, or you wait for that click & hastily reload. In ACE, a button is mapped so you can "check" the current mag, showing its "weight" (this mag looks/feels full/heavy/light)

Now my HUD rant is over, I did try AA3 and to be honest, I hated it. Its like the silly truck racing game that got absolutely slated but in FPS form.

Anyway, those who do enjoy it, have fun. For those who don't, get looking at other milsims !

EDIT: For those who say OMGOMG ARMA IS FULL OF TEH BUGZ. Patch 1.02 is out already. Its only just been released in the UK! Bohemia Interactive really do pump out patches!
Quote from Equinox :
Now my HUD rant is over, I did try AA3 and to be honest, I hated it. Its like the silly truck racing game that got absolutely slated but in FPS form.

This?
Equinox: Yeah, I know what you mean. I was totally fine without the HUD until I came to the M320 MOS. I was just adressing the other people who think they need/want a HUD.

Also, I think that truck racing game you were referring to was Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. That game was a laugh from start to finish.
That was it, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. So bad its good :')

As for the M320, I can understand if theres no HUD & the model doesn't have a sight. Should've been a nice 3D one though
Quote from Equinox :That was it, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. So bad its good :')

As for the M320, I can understand if theres no HUD & the model doesn't have a sight. Should've been a nice 3D one though

Oh no, there is a leaf sight on the M320 and you can use it to adjust elevation (my mistake for not making that clear). (Clicky)

It's just that no HUD = no Radial Menu which means:

You can't switch 40mm grenade rounds from smoke to explosive and vice versa.

Or you can't treat a soldier as a Combat Lifesaver (CLS), or Medic if they add it later.

But the game looks fugly without Anti-Aliasing so I have to chose between less abilities for the soldier and realism vs. fuglyness since the patch did nothing to solve the Anti-Aliasing making the HUD disappear thing.

But hey, this game is free. It's much better than Combat Arms, the crap Nexon is spewing, even if they are two different genres.
Attached images
AA3Game 2009-06-20 17-27-28-43.jpg
AA3Game 2009-06-20 17-29-47-83.jpg
AA3Game 2009-06-20 17-41-01-93.jpg
I honestly think if you want some mil-sim, go for Insurgency:M.I.C. It's a source mod so its on steam. You can download it directly from steam now too, provided you already own a source game.

Insurgency isn't perfect, but there isn't one combat game that I have played that's perfect, not even ArmA.

Insurgency has a minimal Hud aproach, so you only have what you need. Basicaly a compas and objective markers, and a mag count when you reload. No health and no crosshairs.

Some things arn't finnished, but they are actively working on improvements, and the sightless shooting is realy nice, the gun free aims untill you bring up the sights. The only thing that doesn't sight properly is the M203, but they are working on it.

I had a firefight that lasted five minutes, I was pinned down behind the hood of a pickup truck and had to wait for help. I only survived because I remembered that 7.62x39r won't go through an engine block, so I hid behind the engine.
#33 - Woz
Quote from DragonCommando :I honestly think if you want some mil-sim, go for Insurgency:M.I.C. It's a source mod so its on steam. You can download it directly from steam now too, provided you already own a source game.

Insurgency isn't perfect, but there isn't one combat game that I have played that's perfect, not even ArmA.

Insurgency has a minimal Hud aproach, so you only have what you need. Basicaly a compas and objective markers, and a mag count when you reload. No health and no crosshairs.

Some things arn't finnished, but they are actively working on improvements, and the sightless shooting is realy nice, the gun free aims untill you bring up the sights. The only thing that doesn't sight properly is the M203, but they are working on it.

I had a firefight that lasted five minutes, I was pinned down behind the hood of a pickup truck and had to wait for help. I only survived because I remembered that 7.62x39r won't go through an engine block, so I hid behind the engine.

The thing I love about insurgency is that you can actually pin people behind cover because of the suppression fire effects, unique in a combat game as far as I know
I have a weird problem.

Or problems.

1. I selected offline then training, I noticed the training missions are all unlocked.

2. I selected Combat Lifesaver, it refuses to load, I selected basic marksmaship, failed to load, I selected obstacle course, failed to load.
Quote from Woz :The thing I love about insurgency is that you can actually pin people behind cover because of the suppression fire effects, unique in a combat game as far as I know

Incorrect.

Project Reality - A mod for Battlefield2 also contains suppression effects. (Unless you want to be all uber say OMG ONLY GAMES NO MODZ PLZ)

www.realitymod.com
Quote from Equinox :Incorrect.

Project Reality - A mod for Battlefield2 also contains suppression effects. (Unless you want to be all uber say OMG ONLY GAMES NO MODZ PLZ)

www.realitymod.com

Actualy, Insurgency is a mod as well.

I prefer Insurgency over Project reality because Project reality has absolutely horrible cones of fire on all of the assault rifles, they deliberately made them inaccurate, which is incorrect for a realism mod.

Insurency is phasing out the cones for a ballistics system at some point, as it is though the weapons in Insurgecy are somewhat realisticaly accurate, they will hit if you take the time to line up a target.

The AK is generaly less accurate than the AR series, but for the same reason it is in real life, the sights aren't great on the AK series, they look alot like enlarged pistol sights.
#37 - Woz
Quote from Equinox :Incorrect.

www.realitymod.com

Never played BF2 so didnt know.

Americas Army 3
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG