The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :Anyway, long time no speak Shaun, hope all is well with you

Life is great Dan, and yourself? Going on Holz with family in 4 days time, so cannot wait. Just shocked and suprised by here. As Goose and Maverick said in Top Gun "Where de Go"......"Where da Who go"
Yeah, not too shabby, I am just back from Holzs myself!!!.

As for "this place" and LFS, I can't quite put my finger on what / when it all seemed to go a bit pete tong, but I have my own thoeries on that one, personally, I think CTRA is a little to blame, their system was so good that it took a lot of people away from pick up and play racing, then when CTRA went south, there was a massive gap left, people had had a taste of structured and licensed racing, and didn't want to go back to just racing for fun, so a load of other psuedo-CTRA style systems popped up.

Obviously, pick up and play for fun racing as suffered a lot because of this, not sure it will ever return to how it was in the "glory days", but there you go.

I don't think the seeming lack of ethusiasm by the dev team helps either, but thats just my personal opinion and view on things.

edit : blimey, just noticed that in a few weeks I'll have been licensed with LFS for 6 years!!!!
I think it's all ctra to blame. Sure it's nice to have clean racing and earn points and such, but generally it tries to battle against lfs' strenght(s), the easy pickup online play.

Now, I cannot be arsed to drive xfg's for three months just advance in the rank list. The whole idea of having ranking systems is a huge failure, because who knows when the servers will disappear suddenly. I naturally want to choose a server from the list and drive with a car that's enabled there. So nowdays if I wish to have good racing in a car of my choice I need to set up the server myself and get all my mates to be online at the same time. Which almost never happens-

BTW about the bad setups; This is a good thing only. Having insim restrict setups kind of creates new carmodels to the ever-aging game. When the devs just sit there on their arses (now where's the sarcasm smiley ?) this is a good way to create diversity to the racing. And usually the system informs you what you are doing wrong. For example our kyoto 500 server only allows R2 tires, so if you join with anything else you will get spectated and told you need to use R2's. It will actually do that twice, and on the third time you will be kicked for being illiterate.

EDIT: @ Dan: Since you are about twice my age, and have been licensed for three times as long, you have in relation to me been an LFS user for 6 times longer.
I don't want to create a flaming war here, was just curious and asking questions. LFS license.....I have reached 7 years, past go and collected my pension

Dan - I have to agree with you on this one

hyntty - I don't feel you can blame one entity here. CTRA was only providing what CRC did all those many moons ago, just slightly different. CRC folded when the license system came out and wasn;t required, but it worked to a point, "teaching" people to race clean. CTRA done the same to a point. I mean in real life, you past your driving test, you would not jump straight into a Ferrari would you, same as CTRA, so it worked. What it did kill is like Dan said, the pick up and race servers.

What is need, IMHO is all the server Admins, to pull together, and make a variation of servers and cars ( look how many BL servers there are ) Its not like a website, hits don't count nor does popularity.

Lets pull this community together and help each other ( as we used to ) and give all the drivers some variation. This will then spark the "fun" element of what LFS was actually built on in the first instance. Nobody wants LFS to die away like the others, more so than me, but its is down to the server admins here, as they hold the key to some online fun?

I am not trying to be a Braveheart here just trying to inject some life into what is IMHO the best racing simulation ( not game ) and online racing fun there is available ATM!!!!

Well I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears, maybe I am waisting my time, but at least I tried.

Calling all SERVER ADMINS.......COME ON HELP US OUT HERE

Regards

Fordie
There are empty servers by the barrel load that people can change cars/tracks on, but they just don't get used, people like to race on combos that they are comfortable with, and as such the vast majority of the LFS population only race a very small percentage of whats actually available.

I don't want to be Captain killjoy, and I like your enthusiasm, but I think you are on a hiding to nothing, I think "we" have passed a point in LFS's lifescale, and I don't think we can go back to it.

Many of the old guard that remember the "glory days", have dropped LFS, some in favour of iRacing, others in favour of something else, but those that have "gone", can't / won't find anything of yet that could draw them back.

LFS is stale, LFS is stagnant, its still as good as it was all those years ago, but the nuts and bolts of LFS are still the same as they were years ago, we need REVOLUTION in LFS, not EVOLUTION
Quote from Fordman :

Calling all SERVER ADMINS.......COME ON HELP US OUT HERE

Regards

Fordie

We run a public LRF+LX4 server, which is empty nearly all the time.
Our UF League server is public apart from racenights, it is UF1 @ FE RallyX atm, but as far as I can tell only our league drivers are using it.

FOX, TBO and STD are pretty much covered, all that is left is the GTRs and FBM/FO8.

C'MON RACERS, USE THE INTERESTING COMBOS !!!11eleventy
my sister is going to be 57 year 7 months 3 weeks 6 days 22 hours 45 minutes 20 sec ,9427 of age when LFS will be FULL.
Agreed - CTRA killed LFS by destroying the simple pick-up-and-play atmosphere. No longer could you see a mate on LFS who you know was quick and clean, join in 2 seconds and race against him. Instead you had to race idiots for a month to earn your place in the decent servers.

And as LFS didn't have a wrecking problem I think that's silly. It was more likely the quick guys were so annoyed about having to lap people, rather than having them disappear from the track in front of them.

Of course, you can still pick-up-and-play, but the ethos has changed. Too many servers with too many in-sim apps running.

Of course, it's not the end of the world. It just requires us oldies to forget, and learn to cope with the new way, the new order. But it's hard to accept mediocrity when you've flirted with perfection.
Oh my Gosh! DUDES!

what if we are going just to play Live For Speed?
Quote from Bean0 :We run a public LRF+LX4 server, which is empty nearly all the time.
Our UF League server is public apart from racenights, it is UF1 @ FE RallyX atm, but as far as I can tell only our league drivers are using it.

FOX, TBO and STD are pretty much covered, all that is left is the GTRs and FBM/FO8.

C'MON RACERS, USE THE INTERESTING COMBOS !!!11eleventy

Track rotation helps a lot IMO, I rarely join servers that race only one track.
Also, not many people join empty servers.. After all, they're empty :P
Quote from tristancliffe :But it's hard to accept mediocrity when you've flirted with perfection.

That is the Quote of the Decade, absolutly hit the nail on the head there m8.

Maybe we should all install S1 and go about our own business
Quote from RasmusL :Track rotation helps a lot IMO, I rarely join servers that race only one track.
Also, not many people join empty servers.. After all, they're empty :P

LRF server has a rotation.
UF server changes to the combo of the next race...so either UF1, UFR, or UF Baby-R.

With the LRF server, I find that if I go on just to fill in some time flinging the FZ around then a few more will join.
Hell, even taking the FZ out on an empty track can be more fun than racing the same old combos over and over.
Even though the amount of people online has stayed pretty much the same through the S2 era, the number of racers have decreased quite a bit. Many "old-timers" have grown bored and switched sims / quit completely. These old-timers had a background of other sims, but now - I'll make a bold claim that's nothing more than a hunch - more and more people online have no earlier experience of "proper" racing and that shows up as lack of respect, general misconceptions of racing etiquette etc.

Combine the lack of good racing servers to the slowed down pace of development and you're bound to lose interest.
#39 - Dmt
Ahh mates, lets just celebrate our half year of patch delay and dont argue. :elefant:
Quote from Dmt :Ahh mates, lets just celebrate our half year of patch delay and dont argue. :elefant:

Go troll somewhere else, this thread is not about LFS progress it's about the online experience.

I guess I need to join the good old times club. I've always though that you got old (and useless for anything because old people are smelly and drool) when you said the words "it was better in the old days" and now I've fallen in to my own trap.

MRT and SO, those were the days. Saw if any good racers where on and joined them. If you want to have a good race nowdays, it needs to be at least semi-organised event or league. Had a blast in LX6 last night on our Thursday LX evening, the set was shite but I had fun and plenty of great battles. Proper fair racing.

It's still better what it was in the CTRA era, as Tristan put it, you had to drive with idiots for ages to just drive with your mates. Restricting your cars when you've been playing the game for years just doesn't serve a purpose, and I hope that CTRA will never come back in that form ever again.
Quote from Blackout :I guess I need to join the good old times club. I've always though that you got old (and useless for anything because old people are smelly and drool) when you said the words "it was better in the old days" and now I've fallen in to my own trap.

Who knows, if/when Westhill gets updated we may be able to say 'I can remember when this was all just fields'.

Now where's my slippers...
Quote from Huru-aito :... more and more people online have no earlier experience of "proper" racing and that shows up as lack of respect, general misconceptions of racing etiquette etc.

I think thats a very important point.
The lack of respect and etiquette leads to total chaos on non-admined servers. As soon as you get more than say 10 cars on the track you can be sure there is one that just goes full throttle to turn one and takes out half the field. There are too many players around that have the "Need-For-Speed" Attitude. Race-Fast-FullThrottle-IamKing-TheOthersSuck...kinda stuff.
And since you simply cannot live-admin a server 24/7, not even the time it is busy (in the end, admins are also racers and want to race from time to time), the insim apps, like airo tracker helps pre-admining the server. It sorts out the total idiots (sorry for the word, not meaning anybody in specific) and tries to give the top say 15 racers a good racing experience. That it is no perfect system, no question about it.
But as you already stated, the glory days seems over.
LFS is very different to what it was even when I started playing two years ago. I don't think blaming CTRA is such a good idea, as it did good things for the game, and definetly generated interest. I know of many people who have stopped playing the game because it has gone. I think the main thing about CTRA that people enjoyed was that it was like casual league racing, because you raced for something, in a clean racing enviroment. In my opinion, if STCC comes back, it'll be one of the best things for LFS in a long time, as it'll rekindle interest from the old foes who battled in it a few years ago, and bring back the motivation of people who never raced in it, but are keen on doing so now.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Oh my Gosh! DUDES!

what if we are going just to play Live For Speed?

We are having a wise discussion here about live for speed's status at the moment.
So why don't YOU go and just play the live for speed while we try to think of the problem and try to solve it?
Typical nonsense comment from you.
The community is still tight. I've raced against the majority of people who posted in this thread for example. I think that would count as people knowing each other.
Quote from Fordman :Trust me, I am not bitchin and moaning, just heavly surprised thats all, and just woundered what other LFS people thought about it. If I found this in 1-2 days, what on earth do you guys think that have stuck with it since day dot?

Isn't this what you are supposed to do as an oldy? Saying things where better in the past?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Most of these "you need xx licence to drive xx car" are the server admins running silly ario insim apps, or other things..

Some of us admins running servers don't put these restrictions on.

If I did on mine, I'd not get on myself, as I would fail to make the minimum grade - I've tried it on other servers and failed.

Also, some of the servers (like mine) allow you (if no-one else on) to change the track/car combo. I sometimes join my server to find it's been changed to some combo I haven't driven for a while, and am usually glad it's been done. Except BL1 - too many servers with that.

I'm now starting to design and load autocross tracks on just to have a change from even the normal combos. Some people like the new experience and challenge. Some give it a quick go, decide it's not for them, and leave. Either way's fine by me.

As for silly insim apps - I use LFSLapper. Find it great for quite a few things. I won't abide swearing and name calling on my server. Do it, and you get warned. Continue and you get kicked. My server; my choice. Lapper is great for doing that automatically.

I also have a drift score meter enabled. I can only do that thru lapper. I can't drift (difficult for old keyboard users like me), but it's there for anyone that wants to use it - or other admins who've wanted it for their own servers.

As for actually racing and admin on my server; I barely have couple of hours late at night to get on my pc (time I get back home after work, chores, walking dog, wife wanting to do her work on pc, kid's schoolwork, ferrying kids to this and that, kid's wanting to use the pc for surfing cause they're bored with the PS3, me needing to catch up on work, etc). Finally getting on the pc at 11pm (if I'm lucky) I just want to have fun and race people. Last thing I want is to have to sit back and watch other drivers crashing into each other and slinging abuse about, then having to go get replay, watch it a couple of time to make sure I make right decision, then get back on server to advise/spec/kick/ban whatever, and find no-one there as I couldn't make an instantaneous decision that blamed the other driver.

For that reason, I can quite understand why other admins put restrictions on racers who join their server. If you can do certain lap times with these restrictions then more chance you take racing seriously, and if you're serious, much less likely to be a serial crasher/abuser. Therefore less time overhead spent being an admin. More time spent on driving, which is the reason you got into LFS in the first place.

-------------------------------------------------------
I N V I T A T I O N
==============

Open to all.

I'm finding that I can't get on my server much nowadays (for reasons detailed above), and when I'm not on it, not much activity - too many empty servers to choose from, I suppose.

For that reason, if you want to use my server for special event, with only your own invited guests attending, then let me know, and I'll be happy to lend you it for the day/evening.

Just give me a suitable length of notice (minimum 3 days would be nice), and I can probably set it up for you with password only access. You supply the password.

No guarantee that Lapper won't be working in the background, although I could switch it off. It's currently off as I'm trying (unsuccessfully - MY fault) to upgrade to newest version.

I'm away off on holiday from 10 July to 19 July inclusive, so may be able to make server available to you exclusively for that period.

Might give you (easy) taste of what it's like to manage your own server.

If you want to try it, email me. Email address on server - it's on the opening Welcome message when you join the server. You don't even have to join the game.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sin'rs (Sinanju's racing server)
Lack of servers is NOT the problem, at all, in fact, the abundence of empty servers is some of the problem.

Variety of racing is a big problem, for me, obviously not for some, because they seem happy to drive a million laps on the same track, in the same car.
One of the problems with some servers is, they run a very rare combo, and just because you haven't set a time online in LFSW you get kicked from the servers.

What are they thinking? You see LX4 BL2 Servers twice in a year for some time. How should I have set a time online, if I'm not racing every day?

That's just silly
FTR, I can't recall a single instance where I have been kicked for having no setup, having no time on LFSW, or being too slow.

Would somebody care to explain
(152 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG