The online racing simulator

Poll : What brand GPU do you have?

nVidia
ATi
Integrated GPU
Quote from Stiggie :Little question: Temperature-wise, i would like to know how these temperatures of my XFX GTX 260 216 are. It idles at around 56º, full-load (Crysis) 76º-80º. This is at the stock clocks (621/1350/2000) Do these temperatures sound reasonable, and not harmfull for the core? I'm worried about it running too hot.

My Sparkle GTX 260 core 216 w/ 1792mb idles at 36-40 degrees at 300/600/100, when the clocks kick in (576/1242/1100) for games it's gotten up to 80 degrees C and the fan runs at 40% all the time as I haven't yet been able to work out how to change the fan profile in rivatuner.

Quote from Bose321 :That seems really low, I can't even seem to do that. My lowest underclock is 500/750...

It's probably power phases, though my old 8800GTS 320mb never underclocked itself, it always sat at 570/1242/900 no matter what it was doing, and its idle temps were woeful IMO, with the fan set to auto in rivatuner it idled at about 58 degrees C and wouldn't go lower than 48 degrees, no matter how hard I tried, an 8 degree night didn't make it go lower either, even with all the fans on 100%. It'd go up to 70 degrees easily though, and once I got it up into the 90's.
Thank you 9.6 drivers!
Crysis benchmarking :
Run #1- DX10 1400x960 AA=16xQ, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 47.04
Run #1- DX10 1900x1200 AA=16xQ, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 37.01
Quote from Bose321 :Thank you 9.6 drivers!
Crysis benchmarking :
Run #1- DX10 1400x960 AA=16xQ, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 47.04
Run #1- DX10 1900x1200 AA=16xQ, 64 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 37.01

Sick.
Is that with both the cards at full load?
Quote from Stiggie :Sick.
Is that with both the cards at full load?

Havn't checked. But I don't think so, because the fans didn't really make alot of noise.
Quote from Bose321 :Why not on auto? Works fine.
Idle #1=78 degrees with 20% fan
Idle #2=68 degrees with 50% fan
Both run 102~ on full power with 100% fan.
Monday my HAF932 will arrive, I'll hope to get better temps by then.

Got my new case. It's HUGE. But I am so happy with it. Idle temp of CPU is same. Still have to put it under load. The GFX cards now run 55 degrees with 50% fan. So that's a (whopping) 13 degrees difference! I'll go test and put them under load now.

edit-94 degrees with 100% fan after 3 minutes
#181 - WSR
The poll's a little flawed, as I have both an ATI RADEON 9550 and a NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512 in my computers.
Quote from tristancliffe :
Am loving the speeds - Ati Traytool is claiming 300fps in Half Life 2 (yes, I still play that occasionally), and I dread to think what LFS would be able to acheive if I didn't Vsync it).

Just want to find something great to play on it graphics-wise. Have ordered Crysis (only installed the demo yesterday, and loving it). Was thinking Far Cry 2 might look nice, and I can't wait for Operation Flashpoint...

Good to hear I'm also doing some shopping for a new GFX card.. looking for something which may just be able to handle Arma II. I've never played the previous games before and I'd not seen anything about the new Operation Flashpoint. Arma 2 looks astounding, on a whole new scale- but I hear there are some problems as well. I also hear that it eats graphics cards

TBH I didn't really understand where all the negativity towards Crysis was coming from. I played it after all the hype and hoopla had died down, and found it a very entertaining and immersive experience. You might also like Warhead, but I'd play through the orig first. FarCry 2 has really nice GFX but the gameplay somehow falls short, considering the freedom you are given, your abilities and the reactive environment. I just uninstalled it today as I was fed up with it.

If you've never played any of the Stalker games, I'd recommend taking a look. Graphics probably aren't cutting edge by todays standards, but the atmosphere is incredible. I also recommend reading 'Roadside Picnic' if you can get your hands on it- the book which originally inspired both the movie and the game. It's a great accompaniment to the game as it helps to bring you closer to the mindset of the wise and hardened Stalker, and fleshes out the underlying vibe of 'The Zone' in a way that only good literature can do.

Some other gfx intensive titles you may like..

PT Boats (looks interesting- not out yet. DX10 gfx are nice. There's a benchmark to test your rig in the link)

X3 - Terran Conflict (if you have the time and like big ships in space, this might be for you. It's a fairly complex game.. lots to chew on).

Fallout 3 - Great game with TONS of environmental and narrative detail.

err.. iRacing?

I don't get to play many games these days but I've just found Plants Vs Zombies. By no means will this stress your new card, but it's fantastic nonetheless.

Enjoy your pasta
I currentyl run following PC:

E6750 C2D @ 2,66Ghz
4GB 667Mhz RAM
XFX ATI HD4890 1GB GDDR5 (VERY fast card, just got it a week ago instead of my 8600GT as this is my main gaming/lfs rig)

Edit:
I run LFS 1280x1024 with all highest, all bars graph-wise to the right, Vsync, AAx16, texture filteringx16 and whatnot..

~70fps
IMO this is kinda bad? Or am I wrong? however greatly playable but I would think a pc as mine would run above 150 fps while this gets to 140 max..

Far Cry 2 @ max settings all aa etc @ steady 70fps too..
Sounds kinda wrong yeah...
LFS is more CPU dependent.
Quote from D1GrandPrix :I currentyl run following PC:

E6750 C2D @ 2,66Ghz
4GB 667Mhz RAM
XFX ATI HD4890 1GB GDDR5 (VERY fast card, just got it a week ago instead of my 8600GT as this is my main gaming/lfs rig)

Edit:
I run LFS 1280x1024 with all highest, all bars graph-wise to the right, Vsync, AAx16, texture filteringx16 and whatnot..

~70fps
IMO this is kinda bad? Or am I wrong? however greatly playable but I would think a pc as mine would run above 150 fps while this gets to 140 max..

Try using in-game AA and AF. I was getting 50-90 fps with nvidia 32xq AA, but that looked pretty bad - too much AA haha. Switched to in-game 8xaa and 16x AF with default LOD values. Now I get 200-250 FPS, never dips below 150 (v-sync'd to 75 though)

Also try to overclock a bit, maybe 3.2ghz, spend $30 usd on an aftermarket cooler (xigmatek dark knight is good), 3.5-3.6ghz. Will get you a lot of performance.
Just got my new card, its a Geforce GTX260/216 896MB.
Did make my computer alot faster in games
Quote from D1GrandPrix :I currentyl run following PC:

E6750 C2D @ 2,66Ghz
4GB 667Mhz RAM

Edit:

~70fps

ur cpu is faster than mine so is your gpu
i use 1680x1050 setting the rest same as you (i have hi res pack to) and i get 90-200fps, i would say something is wrong yes.
sure vsync is off?? also in the driver menu, it limmits framerate to your screens fefreshrate.
Quote from G13Haze :ur cpu is faster than mine so is your gpu
i use 1680x1050 setting the rest same as you (i have hi res pack to) and i get 90-200fps, i would say something is wrong yes.
sure vsync is off?? also in the driver menu, it limmits framerate to your screens fefreshrate.

I just realized he said "Vsync" among things he had on. So yeah, if you turned off vsync the fps would fly to 270 easily. But keep vsync on, your monitor can only display a certain amount of fps (in your case 70)
Quote from MijnWraak :I just realized he said "Vsync" among things he had on. So yeah, if you turned off vsync the fps would fly to 270 easily. But keep vsync on, your monitor can only display a certain amount of fps (in your case 70)

in the case of fps and v-sync: i would really like to have a 22" monitor that supports more then 60Hz. is there anyone of u guys here that can point me in the right direction of one that supports that? :P i would like to find one in the $250 - $300 range.

OT: as mijnwraak said, turn of the vsync and ull get a higher, tho not noticable, fps.
Quote from Feffe85 :in the case of fps and v-sync: i would really like to have a 22" monitor that supports more then 60Hz. is there anyone of u guys here that can point me in the right direction of one that supports that? :P i would like to find one in the $250 - $300 range.

OT: as mijnwraak said, turn of the vsync and ull get a higher, tho not noticable, fps.

There are a few 120hz monitors out for the Nvidia 3d glasses. Has a pretty large price premium, however.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... anel-_-SAMSUNG-_-24001311
$400 for samsung, and only 22" I could find.
I moved from nVidia to ATI now. Count my vote as ATI now, ive already voted for nVidia
Quote from hazaky :I moved from nVidia to ATI now. Count my vote as ATI now, ive already voted for nVidia

Quote from Shadowww :You are dumb.

He switched for a reason. Because ATi is better: D
Quote from Bose321 :He switched for a reason. Because ATi is better: D

If it would be better, ATI would had more votes in this thread.
Just because more people got a product, doesn't mean it's better.
I've had good cards from both ATI and nVidia. I've put off getting a new card for now but I'd almost decided on a Geforce GTX 275, mainly because the card was quieter than the ATI equivalent.
Then get one with a good fan.
Well, im not dumb i think. Taking it as i moved from nVidia 8600GT to ATI HD4870 ... its a good upgrade and im really happy with it since im still nVidia fanboy and i prefer nvidia. Also, this is my very first ATI card - i was thinking that it really sucks and ive gotta deal with hilariously huge number of problems but no ... the card works like charm and i havnt had any compability issues yet, except some games what have been installed with nVidia PhysX settings and stuff, AGEIA PhysX didnt help tho. Im talking about Mirrors Edge and there are few more games. Shadowww, i was like u before - that "ATI sucks" and stuff, but now when im pretty proud owner of one HD4870 then i can say people who say it sucks are stupid. Its just the way it is, my ATI card performs so well that im just so amazed. Before i had to play GTA IV with crappy lowest settings and 800x600 to play it almost on realtime fps. Now i can cranck everything on max and 1920x1080 resolution and bang, huge fps and even better gameplay.
Quote from hazaky :Before i had to play GTA IV with crappy lowest settings and 800x600 to play it almost on realtime fps. Now i can cranck everything on max and 1920x1080 resolution and bang, huge fps and even better gameplay.

Nice job comparing $50 card of 2006 to $200 card of 2008.

What brand GFX card do you have?
(285 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG