The online racing simulator
The Sims 3
(66 posts, started )
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Such a boring game. Only played like 2 days after that removed it

Agreed. I got bored of it quite fast aswell. I just cba to remove it.
I already played it like 2 weeks ago, installed it at 6:00 PM, and had it uninstalled by the same time the next day. I found it too frustrating, and I couldn't edit my "family" how I wanted to. It was a waste of time to "accuire" it.
I was thinking of going for the ahem - "pre-release" version, but it only has half the game in it. And it looks like Sims 2, but with a paint bucket and some new cupboards. If I found it for <€10 in-store I'd get it for sure, but not at the usual extortionate prices games come out at. I suppose it's a bad thing when a game is too crap to bother pirating
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I was thinking of going for the ahem - "pre-release" version, but it only has half the game in it. And it looks like Sims 2, but with a paint bucket and some new cupboards. If I found it for >€10 in-store I'd get it for sure, but not at the usual extortionate prices games come out at. I suppose it's a bad thing when a game is too crap to bother pirating

Why would you only buy it if it costs more than 10 Euros? Surely the cheaper the better..

Man, that house is ugly. Surely better can be done?
Heh I meant the other way I even had < down first, but it looked wrong
This thread has shocked me a little, I didn't realise just how many people are downloading cracked or pirated software, just the other week another member of this forum proudly admitted to running a cracked copy of RFactor.

Considering this community is quite small, and 3 peeps in this one thread have stole it already, its no wonder games and films cost so much.

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :This thread has shocked me a little, I didn't realise just how many people are downloading cracked or pirated software, just the other week another member of this forum proudly admitted to running a cracked copy of RFactor.

Considering this community is quite small, and 3 peeps in this one thread have stole it already, its no wonder games and films cost so much.

SD.

I call it 'Try before you buy'. But most games are too bad to buy. Including rTractor.
If these people had no intention of buying the game in the first place, then how does the company lose money when they download it?
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If these people had no intention of buying the game in the first place, then how does the company lose money when they download it?

For the record: I have it too. Because it's free.
#35 - Migz
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :If these people had no intention of buying the game in the first place, then how does the company lose money when they download it?

Not many people are like that, alot of people would buy it, but prefer to get it for free because they can.
Not many people, if they can afford to buy a proper version then most people will. I personally want to see more developers giving out watered down versions of a game for free, then having a retail version which has more features. I would like to see films being available to download for free too, then sell the DVD's with lots of extras so people buy them. The trouble with that is it would only work for good products, and we know that people want to be able to sell us shit, EA games would go out of business for a start.
Quote from Migz :Not many people are like that, alot of people would buy it, but prefer to get it for free because they can.

Some people wouldn't play games at all if there would be no cracks.
I have to guess that more folks download stuff just because they can with no intention of ever purchasing if it wasn't available in download.

How many folks on this board who do renders do you thing paid for their $3500 copy of 3dsmax? How many do you think paid $600 for photoshop just to paint computer cars?
#39 - Migz
Quote from Shadowww :Some people wouldn't play games at all if there would be no cracks.

I don't quite get you?

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Not many people, if they can afford to buy a proper version then most people will. I personally want to see more developers giving out watered down versions of a game for free, then having a retail version which has more features. I would like to see films being available to download for free too, then sell the DVD's with lots of extras so people buy them. The trouble with that is it would only work for good products, and we know that people want to be able to sell us shit, EA games would go out of business for a start.

I think this is the case with the majority of people who pirate, if they can buy the proper version they will, if they cant they pirate.
Ill admit it, im a pirate myself, but only because of the fact i dont have a job, i have no source of income, and therefore i cant afford to buy everything, although as i get money i will spend it buying something ive already downloaded.
My brother used to be like this, he used to download programmes/games/music but now he has a full time job, and buys everything.
Quote from mrodgers :How many folks on this board who do renders do you thing paid for their $3500 copy of 3dsmax? How many do you think paid $600 for photoshop just to paint computer cars?

You can buy older copies of software like that 2nd hand and at a much cheaper price. But it is more of a problem for high end expensive software, although again those people who download the software are people who can't afford to spent $600 or $3000 on something that small, so they would never be a paying customer anyway. Their target market is not the average home user either, they sell licenses to businesses. If someone used the software they illegally downloaded for their business and made a profit because of that, then there should be a problem.

I personally believe in complete creative freedom, people shouldn't be limited by the greed of large companies, or restricted by copyright law. Instead of being treated like potential criminals and subjected to pages of text and little films about how evil piracy is, we should be thanked for purchasing their product. The day they start doing that, is the day I stop downloading films, music and software. But for now I will continue to do so, with the promise that if I like something I will buy the legit version.
Quote from mrodgers :How many folks on this board who do renders do you thing paid for their $3500 copy of 3dsmax? How many do you think paid $600 for photoshop just to paint computer cars?

I got mine through college , but Adobe and Autodesk, the way they treat piracy of their products I think is very mature - they generally don't mind people downloading cracked copies for their own use, only really making sure companies using it for profit have to pay. This is because it means there's a large pool of people who can use it, so when a company buys in a product like that, they're more likely to choose them.
Do Adobe really not mind downloading cracked software for personal use? :o

How awesomee!
Well, I'm sure the official line is that they don't like it, but they'd only track you down if you were a company using it in your products.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Well, I'm sure the official line is that they don't like it, but they'd only track you down if you were a company using it in your products.

Yeah, but the other reason that they do it is.. if a user becomes comfortable with software, and goes to a company for work and they ask "What do you want to use"... Then several licences for that software may get purchased, and the people that **** about with it for non-serious things wouldn't buy it anyways so it's really no loss, and just trying to gain from companies that hire people who use it.
Exactly. They've realised that one download != one lost sale.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You can buy older copies of software like that 2nd hand and at a much cheaper price.

It's as illegal as cracking.
Quote from Bose321 :Stuff about the Sims 3

Bose, perhaps you can put my girlfriends mind at rest. She is a big fan of the Sims 2, so I preordered 3 for her, partly to say sorry for always being late home from race car work and generally being busy and tired all the time.

She makes these imaginary stories in her head, and acts out a sort of soap opera - she might have 20 families, and she makes sure the right people are born, get married or die when she wants them too, and she plans affairs, divorces, or other 'real life' stuff to occur to the right people.

But with the Sims3 your other sims (if that is even possible?) continue to live, and so they might not do what you want them to do. If she wants Guy to spend a couple of [game] years having an affair with Girl, will Guy lose interest when she is playing with Grandparent??

Does that make sense? She is worried that the 'whole city' approach will actually ruin the game for her style of play.

Having said that, she is REALLY excited about the building/decorating stuff, especially diagonal placing of chairs and stuff.

And as she is going on holiday the day after release I get the chance (if I can fix my computer in time) to play with it a bit before she gets too addicted!!
Erhm ok

Well, I'll jump into the discussion about pirate gaming. I am well aware it's a tabu, and shouldn't be bragged about. But most of my games that I have buyed I have tried illegal first. LFS and some online games are the only ones I have not cracked before buying it. But look on the bright side, due to the crack I have bought at least 7-8 games that I did not plan to buy. The soul reason for me to buy a game is the multiplayer part. If the game has multiplayer I want to check out if this game is something for me, if it's something for me and has multiplayer, then I'll buy it.

However, it's not to be hidden under the tree that cracking also has made me selective in what I chose to buy and what to not. I tests out the game fairly good before chosing to buy it, however I do little career aspects of the game since I want that to be completed in the legal version of it.

I am not proud of it, but I don't see the wrong of it either. Demo's just doesn't give me enough info to know if I want to buy a game or not, I need to test out several features and aspects of the game before beeing sure what my opinion is about it.
Quote from tristancliffe :Bose, perhaps you can put my girlfriends mind at rest. She is a big fan of the Sims 2, so I preordered 3 for her, partly to say sorry for always being late home from race car work and generally being busy and tired all the time.

She makes these imaginary stories in her head, and acts out a sort of soap opera - she might have 20 families, and she makes sure the right people are born, get married or die when she wants them too, and she plans affairs, divorces, or other 'real life' stuff to occur to the right people.

But with the Sims3 your other sims (if that is even possible?) continue to live, and so they might not do what you want them to do. If she wants Guy to spend a couple of [game] years having an affair with Girl, will Guy lose interest when she is playing with Grandparent??

Does that make sense? She is worried that the 'whole city' approach will actually ruin the game for her style of play.

Having said that, she is REALLY excited about the building/decorating stuff, especially diagonal placing of chairs and stuff.

And as she is going on holiday the day after release I get the chance (if I can fix my computer in time) to play with it a bit before she gets too addicted!!

It is possible to have several families, but you can only use one at the time.
You mean that guy loses interest in Girl when he's playing with Grandpa? If so, I've tried this myself, and he doesn't change his mind about her or whatsoever when you are doing something with someone else. Unless you gossip or have double affair.

I don't really understand what you mean with the 'whole city' thing. You mean that screenshot I took from the house that you can see the rest of the city? I think if you just don't use it. It would be just the same as Sims2, because other people just come over and walk in your house.
I have to admit, the building and decorating with this 45 degree turning is quite cool. Especially the kitchens are cool now. But most of all, the HUGE variation in stuff is just massive. If you liked sims2 alot, you will LOVE this.
If there is anything else, ask me, I'll try to answer it.
Thanks for trying to understand my drivel! I don't think I wrote it well.

In the Sims2 she had several families. When she played Family A then Family B was paused. As such SHE was in control, and could decide who liked who, who loved who, who lived where etc.

But in Sims2 Family B continues to do stuff whilst you play Family A, so you have LOST that control. You might spend ages getting a character to have an affair with someone, but whilst you play as another family then they might change their minds and do something else.

Does that make more sense? She is worried that because the whole city is alive, rather than just one household at a time, then she won't be able to make the stories she used to do.

Personally, I think she'll adapt and get used to it, but as you've played it I thought there was no harm in asking on her behalf...

The Sims 3
(66 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG