The online racing simulator
Stick V. Slushbox
(156 posts, started )
I'm quite happy that one is forced to learn driving on a manual car in Germany. Not only is it easier to switch from stick to auto than the other way round, but it teaches you the sort of multitasking capability you need in a car. At least thats my opinion.
Quote from ACCAkut :I'm quite happy that one is forced to learn driving on a manual car in Germany.

I don't think that's the case.

You can take your test on an automatic car but with such a licence you aren't allowed to drive any manual car. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do it but it's possible.
So in general, it goes like this... :

If someone wants an Automatic, it's their choice, it doesn't matter to you... it shouldn't matter to you....

Equally, if someone wants an manual, again that's their choice and you should stick your big nose in someone else's business. I'd personally have a DSG over a manual, however I'd rather have a manual over a normal automatic.
+ 1 against automatic
but only if it's a four cylinder ( or below ...I.E .Swift 1.0L)
I greatly miss my alero and grand am ( both V6)

now i drive standard (05 saturn ion ) and although
i live in montreal it's not as bad as i would have thought.
but it is still kinda slow
I love the automatic transmission in my car. When I'm driving hard in the mountains, I like not having to take any focus off of steering. One of the main arguments for manual transmissions is that you have complete control over the engine but frankly I'd much rather have complete control over direction.
someone in my apartment building is a terrible manual driver... listening to them rev their engine up and down repeatedly trying to park almost made me want to go down there and pull him out of the drivers seat while i showed him how to park properly.

i didn't actually see him parking, but from the sounds of it, he pulled up to the spot and then inched his way into the spot. took them about 5 minutes too.

mind you, i've never driven a manual IRL, but i've driven trucks, vans and cars and i've never had a problem parking, except for the odd parallel job. also, i'm the kind of driver who will roll into a parking spot at a faster than snail speed, and then brake... and screw parallel parking if i can get it in nose-first.

DC was right about how ridiculiously easy it is to get a license here in canada though... how this kid got his g2, i'll never know.
Quote from flymike91 :I love the automatic transmission in my car. When I'm driving hard in the mountains, I like not having to take any focus off of steering. One of the main arguments for manual transmissions is that you have complete control over the engine but frankly I'd much rather have complete control over direction.

See, thats the time that I most want a manual. Way gentler on the brakes. And yes, I do realize you can engine brake with an automatic, but you just dont have as much control.
Quote from BigPeBe :I hate the fact that I may be sticking my nose in middle of an argument over here, but...

Actually for what I believe, the fastest drag cars have some kind of manual transmissions. Automatic can perform really good on dragstrip, but the fastest ones I believe use a hydraulic transmission, with usually 3 different gears which are changed manually. Tho this is more like semi-auto, so to judge if it's auto or manual is a different story then. But well at least it's a "stick shift".

All I know that I'm happy driving with manual everyday, wouldn't change a thing in it.

even with auto gearboxes you move the stick to change gear when racing (dont just leave it in drive), its all about how fast it shifts, auto's can shift alot faster then someone having to push the clutch, change gear then let go of the clutch
#59 - senn
if someone made a kit for my car with sequential and throttle cut (something like XRR/XFR/FXR etc) that didn't cost as much as a new car to bu/install, i'd take it in a heartbeat. But it would have to be something like the current WRC cars use, anything slower in the shifting is annoying (IE cheap auto boxes with "manual mode" *vomit*)
Quote from senn :(IE cheap auto boxes with "manual mode" *vomit*)

The things thats even worse than that (I can say from experience) is the CVT's with the pre-programmed "manual" shift points. Thats probably the worst thing ever.
Quote from speed1 :The things thats even worse than that (I can say from experience) is the CVT's with the pre-programmed "manual" shift points. Thats probably the worst thing ever.

didnt know CVT's had shiftpoints?

omg just noticed that i bumped an almost 24hour old thread
Gear ratio might have been a better word.
Quote from speed1 :Gear ratio might have been a better word.

well yes, but still dont really understand how u mean.. manual gear ratios in a tranny thats constantly variable? sounds odd
Quote from bunder9999 :
DC was right about how ridiculiously easy it is to get a license here in canada though... how this kid got his g2, i'll never know.

LOL, I love that show, because every one of those people HAS a license and shoulden't, it brings a very big problem to light.

People still arn't understanding what I'm getting at when I say everyone should have to learn manual. Its subconsious training, you have to be more aware because driving a manual isn't as easy as pressing the gas and turning the wheel. Theres a lot more to pay attention to when you are learning.

If you learn to drive a manual first, and are actualy good at it, then you will have the mindest and skill to drive any vehicle you want. I never said all people who drive manuals are better drivers, only the ones who drive manuals well are the ones who benefit from it.

It's about training multi-tasking and higher awareness in new drivers, it has nothing to do with people who have been driving for years already. Most of the people who have been driving for years already are set in their ways, good or bad.
Quote from DragonCommando :LOL, I love that show, because every one of those people HAS a license and shoulden't, it brings a very big problem to light.

People still arn't understanding what I'm getting at when I say everyone should have to learn manual. Its subconsious training, you have to be more aware because driving a manual isn't as easy as pressing the gas and turning the wheel. Theres a lot more to pay attention to when you are learning.

If you learn to drive a manual first, and are actualy good at it, then you will have the mindest and skill to drive any vehicle you want. I never said all people who drive manuals are better drivers, only the ones who drive manuals well are the ones who benefit from it.

It's about training multi-tasking and higher awareness in new drivers, it has nothing to do with people who have been driving for years already. Most of the people who have been driving for years already are set in their ways, good or bad.

my dead gandmother could drive better !! ( and she could...

40+ years on the road... of which 20ish where spent in a 1600 twin cam hill man hunter... it was a beast... far more dangerous then that pickup )

but how did he get his license ?? did he just buy it or ?
I call BS on all shows like that. They are all scripted. There's no way someone would start to wail on the wheel like that on the road, not even the stupidest person. He does it because that's what is in the script...
Are you sure it's all scripted? I don't have trouble believing that there really are such bad drivers.
Quote from hrtburnout :Are you sure it's all scripted?

Do you think that Paul Sr. spends a ton of money on remodeling the shop just to pick up a couch and throw it through the wall just because he's mad that Paul Jr. left a wrench laying on the workbench?

Yes, I think everything on TV is scripted. There is no such thing as "reality TV"
That show isn't completely scripted, I know that for a fact.

There are people who have lost their license after being on that show, or their insurance goes way up. It's supported by the OPP and RCMP.

Alot of the tests they do on that show are pretty good, and should probably be standard for getting your license, others are silly and are there just to show how stupid some people realy can be.

And if you think someone can't be that bad and shake the wheel like that, I have seen alot worse than that.
Back a bit to the point, I understand both sides of this argument.

I'm only disgusted with people that refuse to try learning how to drive a standard transmission. Most times it is out of pure laziness. They'd rather be talking on the phone, eating, messing with the radio, or putting on makeup than actually focus on anything car or traffic related.

I don't find anything wrong with someone driving an automatic even if they are able to drive a standard. I just get real upset when they only do it so they can do so many other things that don't pertain to driving, and run people off the road.

That is actually one reason I want a standard. I'm constantly eating on my way to work. Having to keep my hands busy with the car, I won't be able to. Plus it's a hell of an excuse for not answering the phone when my girlfriend calls.

I've never driven a car newer than a '94, but in all the automatics I've driven, when you select a lower gear, the car changes to that lower gear if it's not over the redline! That is actually how I need to stop since I'm having break issues ATM. I don't know how so many of you could say that you can engine break in an auto.
Quote from DragonCommando :LOL, I love that show, because every one of those people HAS a license and shoulden't, it brings a very big problem to light.

Again, the wrong assumtion that driving manual makes you a more aware driver. We had the same show here in austria and guess what, all the contestants couldn't drive for shit, even though every single one learned driving manual. I have to repeat it again: knowing how to use a manual gearbox doesn't magically make you a good driver.
Quote from flymike91 :I love the automatic transmission in my car. When I'm driving hard in the mountains, I like not having to take any focus off of steering. One of the main arguments for manual transmissions is that you have complete control over the engine but frankly I'd much rather have complete control over direction.

But if it changes gear when it wants to rather than when you want to you end up with LESS control over your direction. Cutting the power whilst your balancing a car in a corner can lead to big accidents.

Quote from masternick :even with auto gearboxes you move the stick to change gear when racing (dont just leave it in drive), its all about how fast it shifts, auto's can shift alot faster then someone having to push the clutch, change gear then let go of the clutch

What if you don't use a clutch for upshifts and downshifts?
Quote from tristancliffe :But if it changes gear when it wants to rather than when you want to you end up with LESS control over your direction. Cutting the power whilst your balancing a car in a corner can lead to big accidents.

I've never driven so hard that I was going to have an accident simply from cutting power or whatever. We're talking on the road here, not on the track.

That said, mountainous areas are the worst possible case for the failure of an automatic transmission. Nothing is worse than motoring up a steep hill about 75% throttle with the auto in 2nd gear, then lifting a bit because of a turn coming and the dang thing moves up into overdrive. You lose all momentum and when you are back on the throttle at mid turn, it takes 3 years for the thing to shift back down into 2nd again. That said, it relates to the next thing after my quoting you....

Quote :What if you don't use a clutch for upshifts and downshifts?

It matters not. I have yet to drive a normal road car that can shift faster than one can with a manual and clutch. My Altima takes forever as it lingers holding RPM before it finally decides to shift. My Mazda is pretty good, but it still can't shift faster than someone with a clutch and manual provided that person can drive.
Lift off oversteer is perfectly possible when on the road and motoring quickly (i.e. not road racing, but not driving like a grandad either). Automatic transmissions cutting the power can cause the same accident. Yes, you have to be going quite quickly for it to happen, but not that quickly, and it can easily happen if you misjudge a corner and go though it too quickly.

I agree - I can shift pretty damn quickly in all our cars. But he was referring to racing, so I thought I pip in with a silly comment about syncro-less gearboxes

Stick V. Slushbox
(156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG