The online racing simulator
Stick V. Slushbox
(156 posts, started )
Quote from DTrott :As in the driver has no input as to what gear the car is in? Interesting.

Yes. They were banned for the 2004 season:

Quote from F1 Technical :Full automatic gearboxes are now banned

Source

If you look at approximately 0:29 on this video from 2003 you can see Schumacher's right hand is off the steering wheel but the car still changes up a gear.
But they weren't automatic gearboxes, but the same gearbox and a 'change gear for me automatically for me' button.
Quote from tristancliffe :But they weren't automatic gearboxes, but the same gearbox and a 'change gear for me automatically for me' button.

They were gearboxes that had the ability to make upshifts and downshifts without input from the drivers. It's pure semantics whether you call that an automatic gearbox or not, but for me that's an automatic gearbox.
the point is that its completely irrelevant to this discussion since those geaboxes have nothing whatsoever in common with automatic geaboxes youll find on road cars
Not really. A 'slushbox' auto as we are discussing is a very different beast - planetary gears, torque converters, etc. An F1 'auto semi-auto' is more like a standard manual gearbox as used in everyday cars.

I don't think, if you ever looked inside one, you could ever argue that as semantics...
Quote from speed1 :Thats just it, not only is putting it in neutral not completely legal, it is a bad idea. You need to be in control of your vehicle at all times.

Also, I took my drivers test using a standard gear box, and I have no idea what you're talking about with the hand brake.

Oh, sorry. I got you guys mixed up. The guy in my original post said his test required him to have the handbrake on if he was in neutral.
Cause you cant be arsed changing gears and use the car as a DD. So as stated in like the second post, peak hour traffic grid lock ect, much more convenient.
Quote from MadCat360 :
If autos are so slow, why did they use them in F1? Every auto I've driven is smoother than most drivers in a manual (most people are not racing drivers, remember), and faster shifting.

To be fair they are manuals with automated clutches. Hence semi automatic. But try using one on a day to day basis, you'll get very annoyed.

Quote :I enjoy a manual transmission as much as anyone else but for an everyday runaround car why wouldn't you have an auto? Cost? $1,000 every 150k miles is not that big a price to pay for a little convenience.

I know of plenty of Ford Fiestas that chew their automatic gearboxes up at as little as 40k and it costs £2100 to fix.
What happens to them specifically?

One point one could make about slushboxes is that they can, simply by their design, handle more torque throughput than a typical manual design in a road car.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :What happens to them specifically?

I have no idea, a few years ago when I was subscribed to Autocar magazine people would often write in about their elderly parents cars, generally smaller things, they'd buy a new auto, and use them little over the 3 years, and when the warranty ran out, a few months later the gearbox would break.
Quote from amp88 :Read my post above. Fully automatic gearboxes have been used in F1 before.

If you look at the spacing between our posts, you'll see that they are quite close. I posted it before The page had been refreshed.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :To be fair they are manuals with automated clutches.

I dont know that I completely understand how that works, but how often does something like that go through a clutch?
It's a manual gearbox, but you change gear using paddles using a hydraulically actuated automatic clutch, if I remember correctly!
An F1 gearbox is effectively a conventional manual (not a sequential) syncroless gearbox with electro-hydraulic actuation (rather than levers, cables and bars etc). They will use an electro-hydraulically operated carbon clutch, probably around the 4" diameter. These will be replaced for every race meeting as a matter of course, and when needed.

The clutches are unlikely to wear out, but warp and become grabby, or merely slip too much to be effective.

The sequential control is merely because two paddles can only do up or down. Some cars used to have an 'auto-up' function and a 'change to nth gear' button, skipping the gears in between (or going through them sequentially if preferred).
Quote from S14 DRIFT :To be fair they are manuals with automated clutches. Hence semi automatic. But try using one on a day to day basis, you'll get very annoyed.

Alright, so what about drag cars? They use torque converter autos.

I do use an auto every day. Both my parent's Accord and my own 80's Diplomat. The Diplomat is rough, yes, but the Accord is very smooth and is only rough on the kickdown. It's somewhat annoying when you step on it, but other wise it does a fantastic job.

I just think people are a little too much on the "autos are the devil" side and not enough on the "autos are convenient" side.
I've got an auto Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l with an lpg conversion and regularly tow a 1.5t caravan. Its the best thing i ever bought!! You cant beat a torque converter when pulling off from an uphill junction.
Quote from MadCat360 :Alright, so what about drag cars? They use torque converter autos.

I do use an auto every day. Both my parent's Accord and my own 80's Diplomat. The Diplomat is rough, yes, but the Accord is very smooth and is only rough on the kickdown. It's somewhat annoying when you step on it, but other wise it does a fantastic job.

I just think people are a little too much on the "autos are the devil" side and not enough on the "autos are convenient" side.

My sisters boyfriend had a BMW 330 with an Auto box. I found that very smooth, as was the jaguar XJ I went in a few weeks ago. ZF gearboxes are good.

The auto box in my Granddad's Volvo 440 however is dreadful.

As I was refering to using a flappy paddle (ie F1 style Ferrari/Lambo, BMW SMG, Alfa selespeed etc) you'll find them very annoying to use.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

As I was refering to using a flappy paddle (ie F1 style Ferrari/Lambo, BMW SMG, Alfa selespeed etc) you'll find them very annoying to use.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Most of them take so freaking long to respond. I wouldn't use any of them, at least the one's I've seen/tried. I'm sure there are some paddle gearboxes out there that aren't total slugs. I've heard VW's DSG is supposed to be quick.
Yeah DSG is like, probably the only decent one out there.. but I'd consider than a full auto rather than a semi, although it has the twin clutches and blah blah and stuff.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :One point one could make about slushboxes is that they can, simply by their design, handle more torque throughput than a typical manual design in a road car.

by wasting most of it in what is essentially a fancy blender?

Quote from tristancliffe :An F1 gearbox is effectively a conventional manual (not a sequential) syncroless gearbox with electro-hydraulic actuation (rather than levers, cables and bars etc).

isnt a sequential a conventional unsynced manual box with a slightly different actuation of the selector forks? ie basically as conventional as a f1 box in terms of gearbox conventionality
"multi-element designs as used in the Buick Dynaflow and Chevrolet Turboglide"

you know youre in trouble if the technology in you car is named after lubricants
Quote from speed1 :Thats just it, not only is putting it in neutral not completely legal, it is a bad idea. You need to be in control of your vehicle at all times.

Sitting for long periods of time with the clutch down is bad practice, it wears the clutch bearing out and it means you have to keep your foot held down for no reason, which is uncomfortable and if your foot slips the car will lurch forward.

Quote from MadCat360 :Alright, so what about drag cars? They use torque converter autos.

Drag racing cars are very different, the requirement is all about power delivery, unlike a racing car which has to change up and down and deliver drive as fast as possible a slow torque converter can do the job quite well for delivering the power off the line when the engine produces far too much power. It doesn't do the job as well as a conventional dry clutch and slipper mechanism employed by the fastest drag cars though.

Quote from Shotglass :
isnt a sequential a conventional unsynced manual box with a slightly different actuation of the selector forks? ie basically as conventional as a f1 box in terms of gearbox conventionality

Sequential boxes are different in that the selectors are physically only able to move sequentially (hence why sequential gearboxes require no electronics or hydraulics).
Quote from ajp71 :Sitting for long periods of time with the clutch down is bad practice, it wears the clutch bearing out and it means you have to keep your foot held down for no reason, which is uncomfortable and if your foot slips the car will lurch forward.

Again, the state cares not about the health of your car. Besides, I'd think it would be bad practice to look in your rear view mirror and see a truck skidding at you and not be able to get out of the way. That almost happened to me the other day, only it was an idiot on a cell phone who didnt see the light. Just buried the throttle and made a right turn into a gas station. No way in hell I could have made it into first if I wasnt already there.
The teaching here is, if you are first in a traffic queue (lights, pedestrian crossing, roundabout, etc.) you sit in 1st with the handbrake on or foot on the brake. If you're further back in the queue, put it in neutral with the clutch engaged and handbrake on.

In the test, you can do either when stopped without being penalised, regardless of where you're stopped. However, we're taught to sit in 1st at the head of a queue, as you will be penalised for hesitancy if you're not quick enough to take off.

Stick V. Slushbox
(156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG