Linux
Macintosh
I dont have PC (using public computers)
Any other/older operation system
Windows 95 (Including OSR2)
Windows 98 (Including SE)
Windows 2000
#51 - Migz
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Too bad you can't do anything useful in linux, because it doesn't run any application.

Mac OS at least has a few applications.

If mac is so amazing then how come the people who do buy a mac end up putting windows on it?
#52 - CSU1
Quote from bunder9999 :oh, get off your apple high-horse... not one OS is perfect for everyone. use what you want to use.

+1

(ot: first post on my apple iPod)
5 years old PC so I'm still at XP. but I'm thinking about moving to 7 later...
#54 - Migz
Quote from majod :5 years old PC so I'm still at XP. but I'm thinking about moving to 7 later...

Whooo, another 5 year old system user
#55 - 5haz
Xp here since 2003.

Whats so special about Mac OS?
Quote from Migz :Whooo, another 5 year old system user

the one im using now is 6-7 years old computeraltrought its my dads computer. still even after 6-7 years running like charm
Quote from 5haz :Whats so special about Mac OS?

its idiot proof and shiny
ill leave figuring out how this reflects on dustin to you
windows vista here. thinking about moving to 7 but not sure atm
#59 - Migz
Quote from batteryy :the one im using now is 6-7 years old computeraltrought its my dads computer. still even after 6-7 years running like charm

Oh my haha.
I think everybody who has an old system and still manages to make it work relatively well should acctually get an award for it!
Quote from Migz :Whooo, another 5 year old system user

yeah but this summer I'm definitely switching to something newer...

I'm looking forward to seeing lfs at more than 20fps with 20ppl online
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
XP ftw... Vista is epic fail imo simply for the fact that its huge compared to Xp and theres no real difference except for Aero, and UAC.. 10 GB extra over Xp for UAC, Aero, Search and Multimedia center... Its not like they have hidden a few full version games or movies in there... What is all this rubbish?....

Also, why buy a Mac for twice the price of a similar spec pc just to run a customised version of a free OS? Kind of a ripoff...

Better buying a pc and installing OSX86... Confused people when i test drove it for a few days on my Dell laptop....
Vista Home Premium X64.

I love how everyone bashes Vista, I have never had any problems with it.

For me it's faster and more stable than XP, if you have problem's it's usually a driver not Vista itself
Quote from Foilpact :Also, why buy a Mac for twice the price of a similar spec pc just to run a customised version of a free OS? Kind of a ripoff...
Better buying a pc and installing OSX86... Confused people when i test drove it for a few days on my Dell laptop....

I've had a try... and I was kind of unlucky. AMD Processor (but there's the AMD Patch), Creative Audigy Sound Card, ATi HD4650 Graphic Card: there aren't the .kexts. Also lots of kernel panics because of the Network Card.
Now it sort of works, fixed resolution, can't use PhotoBooth or any other program that uses the graphic card. So, a FAIL.

But, my suggestion... If you want a computer to behave like a Mac, just buy a Mac. You get tested hardware, warranty if something goes wrong, a nice OS, and also a very good looking case. With an iMac, you pay for the specs, you pay for the style, you pay for the build quality, and (not to forget it) you pay for the BIG screen.
One of my closest friends bought it, I fell in love with it, I wanted it.
And I will buy it, (well, I hope) soon.

Quote from mclarenmatt :Vista Home Premium X64.
I love how everyone bashes Vista, I have never had any problems with it.
For me it's faster and more stable than XP, if you have problem's it's usually a driver not Vista itself

My view.
Pc with XP on it. Bought Vista, partitioned the HD, installed XP, all working, installed Vista, BSOD. That was my first impression. So, I sent it back, and asked for a refund... all of this in less than 3 days. From XP, I only switched to a newer OS when Seven came out. The RC works like a charm. It's XP-stable and better looking than Vista, I love it
I use XP for quite a long time and no bigger problems so far
*sniff* i use vista... *sniff* i hate it..... none of the cool programs i could use on XP work with it
Quote from freddyalek90 :My view.
Pc with XP on it. Bought Vista, partitioned the HD, installed XP, all working, installed Vista, BSOD. That was my first impression. So, I sent it back, and asked for a refund... all of this in less than 3 days. From XP, I only switched to a newer OS when Seven came out. The RC works like a charm. It's XP-stable and better looking than Vista, I love it

Chances are it was a driver that didn't like Vista

Vista itself doesn't just BSOD randomly for no reason.
"gamer PC" - vista ultimate x64
laptop - XP home or something..
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Too bad you can't do anything useful in linux, because it doesn't run any application.

Mac OS at least has a few applications.

"Doesn't run any application"? The most popular Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSE to name a few) will run plenty of applications. Perhaps not the eye-candied up crap you get on a Mac, but applications all the same. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that there are more applications (taking the definition very literally here and including CLI stuff) for Linux than there are for OS X.

However, it is all a matter of choice. People use what they want to use and always have done. There was the whole Amiga vs Atari ST thing back in the 80s. ATi vs nVidia with regards to graphics cards on PCs, AMD vs Intel with regards to CPUs. None of it can truly be quantified as better for every purpose, therefore people choose the one they like most. Oh and Dustin, If you like OS X so much why do you use Windows too? Choice, that's why
Quote from JohnUK89 :Choice, that's why

Gong for you.

Choice = competition = good for consumers.

I use Linux because it does everything I need to do on a computer, without the vendor lock-in garbage, security problems, and other junk that plagues Windows. Word processing (including Word and Excel documents), web browsing and email, movies, music, games (Windows games via Wine), and the best software developer platform in existence are all within the reach of my fingertips with Linux.

Been there, done that with Macs. Liked the OS. Didn't like the expense and Apple's tendency to exert total control over the consumer's choice of hardware.

Others do just fine with Windows. Yet others like their Macs. Yet even others like their FreeBSD, Minix, Solaris, CDE, PalmOS, or what have you.
Quote from JohnUK89 :"Doesn't run any application"? The most popular Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuSE to name a few) will run plenty of applications. Perhaps not the eye-candied up crap you get on a Mac, but applications all the same. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that there are more applications (taking the definition very literally here and including CLI stuff) for Linux than there are for OS X.

However, it is all a matter of choice. People use what they want to use and always have done. There was the whole Amiga vs Atari ST thing back in the 80s. ATi vs nVidia with regards to graphics cards on PCs, AMD vs Intel with regards to CPUs. None of it can truly be quantified as better for every purpose, therefore people choose the one they like most. Oh and Dustin, If you like OS X so much why do you use Windows too? Choice, that's why

I use Windows as I am forced to test websites in a crappy browser that people use.

Oh, and if you want to get stupid.. anything that can be compiled on Linux can also be compiled and ran on OS X... Command Line or otherwise... so OS X still can run more.

But that's fine, I'll let you guys use something that's crap, I'll just sit here waiting for when you all defect so I can go "I told you so."

I LOVE how people get so defensive about what they choose to use. Yeah, we can all ignore dustin and his mad love for OSX, but other than that I find it funny when people choose to say one operating system or computer is shite. Just use what you like and accept some people like different things :P

And as for the question as to why you would buy a mac and put windows on it, is it really that hard to figure out? Then you get to do anything you want in OSX and windows without having to compromise by choosing just one OS. Hard concept to grasp, I know...
Quote from Michael Denham :operating system or computer is shite. Just use what you like and accept some people like different things :P

Oh we all accept that other people prefer Macs, it just happens to be a fact that those who prefer Macs do so because they're too ignorant and inferior to choose teh PC instead
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Oh we all accept that other people prefer Macs, it just happens to be a fact that those who prefer Macs do so because they're too ignorant and inferior to choose teh PC instead

No.

PC users are just too blind/stupid/retarded to realize that OSX is better.

It's a fact of life. Eventually there will be surgery to repair eyes/brain/learning disabilities, so then PC users will realize their failures, and switch to a Mac.

It just happens.
LoL I love tacos better than hamburgers too.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Eventually there will be surgery to repair eyes/brain/learning disabilities, so then PC users will realize finally Mac has improved on its failures, decide it's still crap and not switch to a Mac.

Fixed it for you, no need to thank

Quote from Blas89 :LoL I love tacos better than hamburgers too.

Well *you* would Meatpies with cheese > all, however /taunt

What operating system do you use?
(198 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG