The online racing simulator
Merge F9 and F10?
(51 posts, started )
Quote from nesrulz :Hm... -1.

I always use F9 when driving, so, info from F10 in F9 is to much, a lot of graphic information on screen for me...

I use script for rotate F keys on one wheel key, u can use any other key for this...

Damage is not so often, and the change is not rapid as in the tires.

Now, if we have configurable F keys and graphics in them, then is OK...

But see, even with my idea you can have F9 by itself. Nothing will change for people who only want to see one (except that pressing F10 won't switch, it will add. You would then press F10 again to go back to only tires, instead of pressing F9 to switch back to tires).

I really don't think there's any drawbacks for anyone (except Scawen who has to code it). The script to rotate F keys would be broken most likely, but I'm sure someone could code up a new version that takes this into account.

Configurable F keys would probably be the best idea overall though.
Quote from pik_d :But see, even with my idea you can have F9 by itself. Nothing will change for people who only want to see one (except that pressing F10 won't switch, it will add. You would then press F10 again to go back to only tires, instead of pressing F9 to switch back to tires).

Yes, I agree.
But simply merge is not solution...
Related suggestion: Remove F9 & F10 view in forced cockpit view
Quote from Not Sure :Related suggestion: Remove F9 & F10 view in forced cockpit view

Why just for cockpit view?
Do you even know what "Forced cockpit view" is?
Quote from Not Sure :Do you even know what "Forced cockpit view" is?

Sure.

I want say, it might be better example: "/show F info=yes/no"...
Quote from nesrulz :Why just for cockpit view?

Ok then, why? Because some people like to race at a server which encourages realistic view, and chase cam and floating pictures of tyre data are not realistic.

This restriction would have no affect on the servers that choose not to use fcv. So that is why I am not suggesting that F9 etc. should be removed altogether.

edit:
Quote :I want say, may be a better example: "/showF=yes/no"...

Ok, misunderstood you at first
Braw idea, +1 all the way, could come in handy when my comp returns.
+1 from me, i hate having to lean across my wheel to switch to check if i've picked up any damage recently
Quote from Not Sure :Ok then, why? Because some people like to race at a server which encourages realistic view, and chase cam and floating pictures of tyre data are not realistic.

This restriction would have no affect on the servers that choose not to use fcv. So that is why I am not suggesting that F9 etc. should be removed altogether.

edit:

Ok, misunderstood you at first

I think this is a bit misguided. From the point of view that you should have only the information that a driver will directly have I agree with you. Where I don't agree is that point of view is the correct one. A driver on a track will have their team talking to them over the radio, and until we have that (rFactor has a spotter add-on that would help with this) we should definitely have this extra info.

I don't think that a driver of a sim-racer can only be considered the driver, but instead is actually the whole team. You are the race strategist, you are the pit crew (in part) and you are the race engineers (setups). To be all those things you need all the information avaliable to all of these different people.

But of course this doesn't have that much to do with showing F9/F10 at the same time, just whether to show them at all (which isn't the point of this thread).
I see what you are saying, but...

Are you saying the pit crew has real time data of tire temps while the car is on the track?

I'm ok with the tire and damage data being visible only while pitting, "hardcore" mode or not.
Quote from Not Sure :I see what you are saying, but...

Are you saying the pit crew has real time data of tire temps while the car is on the track?

I have absolutely no idea what actual data the pit crew has. I wouldn't be surprised if they could tell if the tires were over heated or not. There are tons of sensors on the car. They can also visually see tire wear from the on-board cameras. Until we have visual tire wear we definitely need to be able to monitor that while racing somehow. In long distance races you need to know how much rubber you have left so you know if you can keep fighting for a spot or if you need to pit *now* to change tires.

Quote from Not Sure :I'm ok with the tire and damage data being visible only while pitting, "hardcore" mode or not.

So you pull into the pit, you take a few seconds to look over your tire/damage, take a few more seconds to configure your pit stop from what you read, THEN you finally get stuff added/changed/fixed? I don't think that will fly with too many people.
Quote from pik_d :I wouldn't be surprised if they could tell if the tires were over heated or not.

I would think the driver is able to notice that from the change in handling, without having the pit crew telling him?

Regarding sensors and whatnot, maybe it is that way in F1 and other top racing series, which in LFS would equate to what? the two fastest single seaters and the three GTRs?
Quote from Degats :Tyre wear is already represented in F9 - the 'tread' sections get thinner as the tyre wears.

I know, this thread is about merging the F9 F10 information

+1111
@ not sure: do your desktop-speakers start to smell when the clutch of your LFS-car is overheated?

to the main topic: A customizable info-screen would be nice.
Quote from Bandit77 :@ not sure: do your desktop-speakers start to smell when the clutch of your LFS-car is overheated?

No, but my speakers emit sound that tells me the revs rise too high when shifting.
useless for me, I just switch with two mouse buttons one for F9 one for F10, F10 is very rarely used, it will consume to much space on screen
you should better revork the cars internals or release VWS before next christmas comes, it's endless waiting for new changes
+19843257
+9876543210123456789
Quote from Bandit77 :can you say this as a word?

Plus nine quintillion eight hundred seventy-six quadrillion five hundred forty-three trillion two hundred ten billion one hundred twenty-three million four hundred fifty-six thousand seven hundred eighty-nine.
Quote from Flame CZE :Plus nine quintillion eight hundred seventy-six quadrillion five hundred forty-three trillion two hundred ten billion one hundred twenty-three million four hundred fifty-six thousand seven hundred eighty-nine.

What about this one: +10886750156930237653

I added all the +'s (and the one -1) in this thread to get that.
Quote from pik_d :What about this one: +10886750156930237653

I added all the +'s (and the one -1) in this thread to get that.

It's plus ten quintillion eight hundred eighty-six quadrillion seven hundred fifty trillion one hundred fifty-six billion nine hundred thirty million two hundred thirty-seven thousand six hundred fifty-three.

Sorry for offtopic here... just fun
+1 for this idea, simple and effective

Merge F9 and F10?
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG