The online racing simulator
Supermarket staff : PISS YOU OFF!
(62 posts, started )
Ok, so for the last ohh, idk.. couple of weeks, I've been making a point of going into my local Sainsburys (it's a fairly big one) every morning before work to grab a bottle of coke and some chewing gum.

And there tends to be the same 4 or 5 people you see, I used to work there so I know a few of them, but a couple I don't as they're new. It tends to be middle aged/older people, although there's one "younger" one, who's about 40.

Either way, every morning for the last 2 weeks I've gone in and seen these same 4 or 5 people (apart from the 40 year old one who's always happy and smiley:really just be really SLOW and MISERABLE and MAKING ME ANGRY.

I leave for work at 8.00 and commute 5 miles. I arrive at Sainsburys at about 8.10-8.15... I'm SUPPOSED to start at 8:30...

Then I spend 10 minutes waiting for these DREARY ****ING BORING PEOPLE to hurry up and SCAN THE BLOODY ITEMS.

Nearly EVERYONE there is buying things for lunch at this time, you can see. Newspapers, Sandwiches, drinks, salad bowls, etc.

The normal thing you'd expect people to do is to be swift.

I'm not saying rush like a mad chicken, just at least look like you're making half an effort. And not holding up the entire cue because you're scanning items at a rate of 6 per minute.

Let me remind you I know that they aim for 17-22 items per minute. I KNOW I USED TO WORK THERE.....

Bear in mind this is for peak hours, where you're supposed to talk with the customer. When you're just pushing people through at 8 in the morning there's no excuse to be slow!! Sitting there looking like a kid who's had his candy taking away from him is not an excuse!!!...

What I don't need is some fatty to sit there in a chair, leant back, half heartedly moving 4 small snack sized items across the scanners in the time it takes for me to paint my room. AND THEN to top it ALL off, the guy pays cash, hands over a £10 note. THE IDIOT BEHIND THE COUNTER JUST TAKES A WHOLE HOUR TO PUT THE DAMN NOTE AWAY AND GIVE HIM £2.72 IN CHANGE!!

AND THEN if I'm at the Ciggy till, (WHERE I BUY GUM NOT FAGS...), this stupid old lady waddles across to do the lottery for some guy, and takes 3498374983 HOURS PRESSING 5 BUTTONS! Then takes a further 18 weeks getting 3 scratch cards from the ****ING PLASTIC THING IN FRONT OF HER ****ING FACE.

Bear in mind this happens every morning and I'm nearly always 5 minutes late into work because of it. They don't mind cause there's nothing every happening till 9am anyway

Pissed me off and I felt like ranting about it.

*awaits comments of tough and poor you stfu noob*
Tough noob!

Seriously, maybe think about leaving 5 mins earlier? Or go to a newsagents or something along the way, why go into a big ass supermarket, park up etc just for a drink and some gum?
Because it's easiest for me. It's closest, I use my nectar card, I buy fuel from there as well so I can use the points instore... It's just easier than having to go INTO the town centre.

Besides I don't wish to sound racist but there's one I could use, but it's a typical Pakistani corner shop, and the lady in there, while I have nothing against them, this particular one is so bloody rude. What's more she wants an extra 10p for a bottle of coke, and a packet of wriggles is bloody 50p! Not the 39p it is in Sainsburys. What's more I lose out on my 2 nectar points!
buy bulk?

or buy the day before, and refrigerate it?
Can't you get it from the petrol station when you fill up? Or go there instead, you won't have to lokc the bike but i imagine big que' if doing it everyday.
#6 - Gil07
Quote from S14 DRIFT :*awaits comments of tough and poor you stfu noob*

tough and poor you stfu noob

Quote from SilverArrows77 :generally ...people suck... (until proven otherwise)

no, you dont have to put that in white, and you wont be proven otherwise... people just suck
Quote from Gil07 :tough and poor you stfu noob

And no I can't go to the petrol station because I can't be bothered. Well, I could, but sometimes I get a sandwich or other stuff and they don't have the choice.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that just blatantly lazy, dead-end people who make life difficult for people (and it's not just me, every day I see people shaking their heads). Surely they have a modicum of common sense and would think that people in suits buying luncheon type food (or me in my bike kit with a backpack) are going to work and they should act accordingly.

-sleep-

Silverarrows i don't expect anything from anyone apart from when I pay part of their bloody wages!!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Bear in mind this happens every morning and I'm nearly always 5 minutes late into work because of it.

Guilty from the 2nd time it happened. Wake up 5 minutes earlier
#9 - amp88
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :buy bulk?

Exactly. You can get 5 packs of Extra chewing gum for the same price as 3 single packs normally. You can buy 4 packs of 500 ml bottles of Coke/Diet Coke for the same price as 3 single bottles. Buy next week's supply on the weekend (or the Friday night on the way home from work) when you're not rushing to get somewhere. It makes absolutely no sense to go the supermarket every day for the same couple of items unless you need something fresh (like a fruit/salad bowl or fresh fruit).
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Haha Jamie, I like that post of yours!
And I totaly agree. It's not like we custommers ask them to stress their asses of, but just to work as it seems they actually is working. They can be slow, but then they need to compensate it by having a chat with the custommer or something. I can live with a very slow one in the box, just as long as he/she has a smile in the face and maybe tell you a joke / asks a question / tells about the weather or something, it's all CUSTOMMER friendly.

I worked in videoshop / fastfood thingy, and if you actually work as fast as you can, flying around like a little bee, people actually is nice to you. When you then managed to screw up and asked for forgivness 99% of the people was just "cool man, seeing you have a lot to do, I just stand over here waiting mate" . Now, a other on the work was a slow bastard, and he NEVER ever got a nice remark back from the custommers.

So, smile and be happy, even if you are not, and try to at least LOOK like you are interested in the custommer. Do that and the custommer (you,me and we) will be happy.

Jamie, why don't you tell the staff managed at that place, since you have worked there before? People like that in the box really makes me angry sometimes.
Quote from amp88 :Exactly. You can get 5 packs of Extra chewing gum for the same price as 3 single packs normally. You can buy 4 packs of 500 ml bottles of Coke/Diet Coke for the same price as 3 single bottles. Buy next week's supply on the weekend (or the Friday night on the way home from work) when you're not rushing to get somewhere. It makes absolutely no sense to go the supermarket every day for the same couple of items unless you need something fresh (like a fruit/salad bowl or fresh fruit).

This.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ok, so for the last ohh, idk.. /SNIP...

Lol. I especially like the Clarkson style exaggerations!
I can see why you're pi**ed, although if i had to work in Sainsburys, i'd be pretty fecking misserable too...
#13 - SamH
Quote from Jertje :This.

Not only, but also.

What you're seeing is a problem, but for some reason what you're not seeing is the solution. I'm not sure if it's just because I'm sooooo much older, but the answers to the problem just seem screamingly obvious to me.

[edit] It's like queueing every morning for £5 of petrol at a petrol station that's always busy at rush hour. Eventually you just peg that if you filled up the tank instead, you wouldn't have to be doing this every day. You just need to connect the dots so the thing you already worked out at the petrol station applies to every other aspect of living life, in exactly the same way
Always expect the worst so you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I really thing the best option for you is to do like some have said above to simply get more chewing gum and bottles of coke when your not really busy.
why not call for the stuff on the way home ?

actually the fatty on the checkout sounds like a so called supervisor in our place (somerfield) he just cant be arsed.

actually most of our staff are ok apart from the ones they put on the fag / lottery kiosk who are bewildered by anything more modern than an abacus, guess thats why they put them on the lottery

oh and in case your wondering i work night shift so don't deal with customers, apart from an old dear who phoned up at 1am to complain her tv had packed up and would we replace it, turned out she'd bought it from the shop when it was a kwik save 6 years earlier
Quote from S14 DRIFT :And no I can't go to the petrol station because I can't be bothered.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :I don't think I'm alone in saying that just blatantly lazy, dead-end people

You get out of life what you put in.
Quote from S14 DRIFT : whole pathetic rant

Aww poor you, how tough you have it…I mean too wait a wee while when you could just go to another shop…or even get it in the evening before hand.

Careful where you step guys…..the toys have been well and truly flung from the pram.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :

Aww poor you, how tough you have it…I mean too wait a wee while when you could just go to another shop…or even get it in the evening before hand.

Careful where you step guys…..the toys have been well and truly flung from the pram.

It was meant to be slightly humorous as other people has found. Sorry you woke up on the serious tree this morning!!

However a serious point was masked in there that, at rush hour and in the mornings, staff should be at least half bothered and smiling, or at least not looking like a campaign poster for neglected horses. (:hide

But yes you guys are right. I could buy a multipack of stuff. But there's no space either under my seat (Scottoiler is there) or in my backpack, which already has most of my lunch and a bottle, a coat and a pair of shoes. Size is everything ladies! But yes I suppose I could buy one on a weekend or out of work hours when I can fit it in my back-pack.

Durbster, another reason why I avoid petrol stations is that all the wankers in their rep mobiles over-fil with diesel. This means you're much more likely to crash coming out of the petrol station than you are the supermarket!
-
(5haz) DELETED by 5haz
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
What I don't need is some fatty to sit there in a chair, leant back, half heartedly moving 4 small snack sized items across the scanners in the time it takes for me to paint my room. AND THEN to top it ALL off, the guy pays cash, hands over a £10 note. THE IDIOT BEHIND THE COUNTER JUST TAKES A WHOLE HOUR TO PUT THE DAMN NOTE AWAY AND GIVE HIM £2.72 IN CHANGE!!

AND THEN if I'm at the Ciggy till, (WHERE I BUY GUM NOT FAGS...), this stupid old lady waddles across to do the lottery for some guy, and takes 3498374983 HOURS PRESSING 5 BUTTONS! Then takes a further 18 weeks getting 3 scratch cards from the ****ING PLASTIC THING IN FRONT OF HER ****ING FACE.

Quality!
#20 - 5haz
It's not their fault that customers like you bore them half to sleep.
You're in a hurry and expect the world to be in synch with that neurotic impulse that has you believing its so important to be on time. In actual fact, if you never turned up for work at all, you'd soon be replaced and after a day or two, there wouldn't even be a ripple to signify your disappearance.

Take a sickie.
Did common sense die in the 80's?
If i were you id just avoid buying the coke, i mean having a coke everyday? I think you should invest in the bulk buying of food, or better yet get water. Water is much healthier though these days cost as much.
Or go option 1, leave 5 minutes earlier.
#24 - Vain
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Did common sense die in the 80's?

Judging by the way people dressed in the 80's I don't think so. Must've been earlier.
Though the 70's they didn't have any more sense. Neither in the 60's. 50's perhaps? Obviously not 40's. 30's not either. 20's absolutely not. ...
Has there ever been common sense?

...I wonder why they call common sense common - it appears to be anything but...

Vain
Think of it the opposite way, in the worker's eyes. You get hundreds of ****s coming through acting and treating you like ****s, you become an **** yourself.

My wife went back to work after 8 years of child rearing. She worked at a home improvement center, and went back to the same store. She made it 1 day before she was tired of putting up with ****'s shit and treatment when they came through the store.

When 99% of the public out there coming through stores and shopping centers are ****s, it makes it difficult for the clerk to be nice to that 1%, if by off chance that 1% happens to include you.

When I go to the registers in a store, I do not dump a basket of products onto the counter and expect the clerk to sort through them. I do not leave the 50 pound bag of dog food at the bottom of the cart expecting the 60 year old lady working the counter to lift it out and pull it across the scanner. I do not just leave everything in the cart and expect the clerk to pull it all out to scan it. And I do not expect the clerk to be having a good day and be pleasant when I just watched 5 ****s in front of me treat her like shit. I will try to make it their day when it comes time for me to be checked out.

Be sure to look at yourself and the way you treat the "fatty" at the register before complaining about the service you recieve.

(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG