The online racing simulator
Interesting cars to buy?
(119 posts, started )
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It weighs 1500kgs dry.. wet with some fuel you're looking at closer to 1700kg.

Are you talking out your arse or are Crossfires heavier in Berkshire?
whats wrong with the crossfire? apart from being not that well built? the convertible looks fine.
Quote from Klutch :Rx7.

Rotary power!(or lack of)

Don't their engines only last to 75000 miles then they have to be rebuilt?
Quote from brt900 :http://www.manchestereveningne ... ucky_kit_car_crash_escape that did happen because he had rubbish tryes in the wet

woah! How fast was this dude going?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nope

agreed. The Crossfire looks kind of weird, well to me it does.

Dude, I would go for the MX-5. They look rather stylish, and I heard they are really fun cars to drive. Either that, or the Mazdaspeed 3 would be my choice . They look so cool, and they actually have some power to them.
Quote from trebor901 :whats wrong with the crossfire? apart from being not that well built? the convertible looks fine.

Quote from jibber :
I'm looking for something not too heavy, RWD, sporty handling...
Main criteria is really that it should be an honest car with good handling and not weigh two tonnes.

Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :
Either that, or the Mazdaspeed 3 would be my choice . They look so cool, and they actually have some power to them.

Quote from jibber :I'm not looking for a limousine with a high powered engine... so please don't say Audi S3 or something like that. It should be a sporty car, not a car with a sporty engine.

Quote from jibber :I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say with that.

A caterham as a daily driver is not acceptable. It rains quite a lot in switzerland, and i don't feel like wearing a raincoat and a helmet every other morning when i drive to work. Does that make any sense for you?

you can get weather gear
Dude, seriously, stop it.

I will not ever think about something like a Caterham as a daily driver (not even going to elaborate on that).
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :Don't their engines only last to 75000 miles then they have to be rebuilt?

woah! How fast was this dude going?

agreed. The Crossfire looks kind of weird, well to me it does.

Dude, I would go for the MX-5. They look rather stylish, and I heard they are really fun cars to drive. Either that, or the Mazdaspeed 3 would be my choice . They look so cool, and they actually have some power to them.

not that fast
Quote from brt900 :not that fast

oh. For a fast car, I would get a 3rd gen or 4th gen Camaro or Trans Am, but you don't like somewhat heavy cars. How about a BMW 1 series?
@ajp71 and S14 DRIFT: Those models that you are looking at the weight of are two different models! Of course a 3.2 Roadster is going to be heavier than a 2.6 Coupe! The Chrysler is still so damn ugly though.

What about a Hyundai Coupe? They are dirt cheap and are frankly amazing cars! A 10 year old one will cost about £795 in reasonable condition! If you have as much dosh as to buy a S2000, then buy a 2002 Hyundai Coupe Mk2 1.8! Don't ever buy the V6 as it isn't any faster but is a lot heavier on fuel and weighs a lot more! Also, have you ever considered one of the older Supras? Yes, I know they are too old for your requirements, but they are Toyotas so they are very reliable and fairly easy to source parts for. Toyotas are good at everything but not great at anything . Mazda MX-3s and MX-6s are rare but look quite interesting! Or buy a Ford Focus . Sorry for the wall of text, this is probably my biggest post ever! I mean longest . I won't stop typing !
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :Don't their engines only last to 75000 miles then they have to be rebuilt?

depending how theyre driven, the better the diver the more miles you get but just to be sure 75k is a good guideline... concidering you drive normally between 12-30k per year...

go out and buy a slk merc or simular and you'll note that you need a new fuel pump and kompressor rebuild/replacement every 50k...

that aswell as other issues will ensure you spend equal if not more time in the garage then the rx-7, and it wont be cheaper either...

big for buck the rx-7 is just about as good as you can get it seems, but be careful...

light tuning + turbo rotary engine = spinning out... All day long.

can be picked up for next to nothing when you think about it... 99 reg rx-7 vs anything is a bargin, sure you'll get a used mx-5 for half the money, but its half the car.

the only problem with the rex is that its a thirsty car, either then that, regular maintenance and getting stopped everywhere by people going " its that a silvia... ?? " when you have de-badged it - yeah, people are actually that dunce.

Anyways, rx-7 clearly gets my vote.

Quote :!RAM! Nissan Pulsar GTiR

I only want to get that because it's like the car on LFS

Lol.... just lol.

Quote :

Wenom BMW Z3 or Z4, Mercedes-Benz SLK yeesyeesyees

good to see graham norton has arrive just on time
#37 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :LOL? You keep going on about how cars are shit to drive and then you suggest the Chrysler Crossfire. LOL.

It's in no way a modern car underneath :P

They seem fairly light on the road if getting my ass handed to me by a guy in one is anything do go by :P
Quote from shaun463 :@ajp71 and S14 DRIFT: Those models that you are looking at the weight of are two different models! Of course a 3.2 Roadster is going to be heavier than a 2.6 Coupe! The Chrysler is still so damn ugly though.

What about a Hyundai Coupe? They are dirt cheap and are frankly amazing cars! A 10 year old one will cost about £795 in reasonable condition! If you have as much dosh as to buy a S2000, then buy a 2002 Hyundai Coupe Mk2 1.8! Don't ever buy the V6 as it isn't any faster but is a lot heavier on fuel and weighs a lot more! Also, have you ever considered one of the older Supras? Yes, I know they are too old for your requirements, but they are Toyotas so they are very reliable and fairly easy to source parts for. Toyotas are good at everything but not great at anything . Mazda MX-3s and MX-6s are rare but look quite interesting! Or buy a Ford Focus . Sorry for the wall of text, this is probably my biggest post ever! I mean longest . I won't stop typing !

They all sound nice, fun & RWD.

Wait - nvm.
heh been there although with a bit less money that i was willing to spend
since youre considering an s2000 im guessing youre looking in the ~15k€ (whatever that is in dried and pressed people from my region) range

unfortunately almost rwd coupes or roadsters were produced in the last 10 years
the only ones that i can think of which id consider worth buying are
rx7 fd
rx8
s2000
mx5
so that would be 2 binge drinkers one of which afaik is only available as rhd and a roadster that will make everyone think you work in a salon
in other words get the s2000
Quote from Shotglass :heh been there although with a bit less money that i was willing to spend
since youre considering an s2000 im guessing youre looking in the ~15k€ (whatever that is in dried and pressed people from my region) range

unfortunately almost rwd coupes or roadsters were produced in the last 10 years
the only ones that i can think of which id consider worth buying are
rx7 fd
rx8
s2000
mx5
so that would be 2 binge drinkers one of which afaik is only available as rhd and a roadster that will make everyone think you work in a salon
in other words get the s2000

See, that's kind of the options i had left after looking around. The S2000 sounds VERY tempting. But who knows... i'll need to drive one first before i can say if i like it or not. I need to stop watching videos of it on youtube however.

I just thought that there maybe is another true sportscar on the market, not 20 years old, and not expensive as hell... and while i have my doubts about it, i'm still open for suggestions. However, I feel like you are one of the few who actually understood what i am looking for...
-
(D.Zanetti) DELETED by D.Zanetti
Yeah, I'd say definitely drive an S2000 if you can. In my experience (from driving them on the street and at autocross) they feel a bit more special than a Miata, the gearchange is even nicer on the S2000 than a Miata, but you can feel the extra weight on the S2000. They grip well but are not as nimble or playful as Miatas. Personally I'd never take an S2000 over a Miata for autocross, but I'd definitely consider an S2000 over a Miata for the street.
Vtec is like bad sex, A lot of effort and not realy worth it

I'd say a Z4. Luxurious roadster with enough power and good handling
Anyway, you should be glad you're not living in Portugal, cause if you were all the answers would be: anything diesel
One thing I forgot to mention... if you're looking at s2000s, find out whether they're the 2 litre or 2.2... the 2 litres are a little weaker in the low end with a bigger kick when vtec comes in. The 2.2 have a little more low end and vtec comes in a little earlier and smoother too.
the only other sports car that i can think of that fits the 10 year timeframe would be an s14a which wouldnt be too bad but i wouldnt consider it as much of a sportscar as the s2000
also how could you possibly buy anything else if you can afford a roadster that revs beyond 8k?
I guess any Nissan S-body is a great sports car (no....not because I own one)
If your looking for comfort and luxe i'd go for an S14. looking for not to many comfort go S13..200SX or 180SX. Europe, UK etc... will be mostly 200SX. Altough the 200SX S14 comes with the better SR20DET engine then de CA'ed S13 :-)

Or an MR2 Turbo would be nice to ;P
i've been thinking about these cars aswell
Quote from jibber :
- 2nd gen MX-5 (1.8L version), had one a few years ago and loved it.
- Honda S2000 (around year 2000/2001), love the looks, downside is a not so good powerband.

MX-5 10th Anniversary or the NBFL Sportive (6-speed gearbox, better suspension)
RX-8s are insanely cheap around here, about the price of an MX-5 of the same year (because of consumption?)

Toyota MR-2 has been mentioned I think, preferably the facelift from '94-'9x but most have been ruined with mods and are overpriced anyway
Nissan 200SX (at least that's what it's called here) S14 '96-'98 looks quite acceptable
but no idea if the latter two are any good in the handling department

the only recent sport-ish RWD cars for that budget in europe i can think of
Quote from Michael Denham :One thing I forgot to mention... if you're looking at s2000s, find out whether they're the 2 litre or 2.2... the 2 litres are a little weaker in the low end with a bigger kick when vtec comes in. The 2.2 have a little more low end and vtec comes in a little earlier and smoother too.

iirc the 2.2 is north america only. who buys this 2.2 anyway?! S2000 is about RPM and 2.0 has MOAR
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nope

Appologies I was talking about the nearly 10 year old manual coupe, far more desirable and stylish than the automatic roadster IMO.
I was looking for a Manual roadster but hey.

Interesting cars to buy?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG