The online racing simulator
It is a very interesting idea to use a supercharger to spool up a turbo. Maybe such a system should be implemented in the FXR and XRR? The supercharger would compress the air to about 4psi, and then the air would go into the turbocharger, which would compress it to 24psi. When you press on the gas, the supercharger would be forcing the turbo to spin! There would definitely need to be a bypass valve between the supercharger and turbocharger, because a supercharger reduces the engine braking since it is constantly compressing air.
Quote from Shotglass :gtrs are endurance cars ... no way anybody would ever put a turbo system thats prone to destroy itself in any car thats supposed to do 24h races

um, porsche 944 turbo?

they always blow fire out the exhaust when downshifting, and aren't particularly known for blowing up, are they?
Quote from Shotglass :gtrs are endurance cars ... no way anybody would ever put a turbo system thats prone to destroy itself in any car thats supposed to do 24h races

Uhm... dude, most LMP cars have turbo chargers installed. I don't know about GT1 and GT2 (or P2 for that matter) but many of the P1 cars have turbo chargers; the Audi R8, for instance, and I never recall Audi having a problem with their turbo system in any race it was run in.

@Faster111 - Was that bump necessary? You necro'd an old thread to say you like fire and loud bangs? And you wonder why you don't get the respect you want. Stop doing things like that.
Quote from MAGGOT :Uhm... dude, most LMP cars have turbo chargers installed. I don't know about GT1 and GT2 (or P2 for that matter) but many of the P1 cars have turbo chargers; the Audi R8, for instance, and I never recall Audi having a problem with their turbo system in any race it was run in.

@Faster111 - Was that bump necessary? You necro'd an old thread to say you like fire and loud bangs? And you wonder why you don't get the respect you want. Stop doing things like that.

well its better then makeing a new topic and wasting forum space and i also did i search but could int find anything.
Quote from MAGGOT :Uhm... dude, most LMP cars have turbo chargers installed. I don't know about GT1 and GT2 (or P2 for that matter) but many of the P1 cars have turbo chargers; the Audi R8, for instance, and I never recall Audi having a problem with their turbo system in any race it was run in.

He meant the anti-lag would cause troubles in endurance racing.

I think there will always be this problem, look at GT racing now. In the GT3 part of the 12h of sebring, there were almost all GT3 911's with just the odd Ferrari here and there. That's the way it is in the game as well. I just don't think its possible to "even" the GTR cars out. You can come close, but it just isn't gonna happen. You can falsely make the others easier to drive, but then you're negating the realism derived from the physics. We don't want that. The way it is now, I just have an automatic respect for the non-fzr's out there, especially who get quick with them.
Well all I can say is if you are having power lag in the turbo charged GTR cars or eating tires in any of them you are not driving the cars right. There are some very fast people in the XRR and FXR and I have seem them walk away from the FZR like its standing still.

Yes there is a delay between pressing the pedal and making power in the FXR and XRR but all that really means is you can get on the throttle sooner then the FZR. If you know there is a 0.5 sec depay before the turbo spins up then start applying throttle before you reatch the apex. The low power delay will allow you be be on the gas sooner and be making power the moment the car is ready for more power.

Each car is unique, learn to use its querks to your advantage and the other cars as well.
Quote from faster111 :well its better then makeing a new topic and wasting forum space and i also did i search but could int find anything.

That doesn't mean you are allowed to post inane junk.

Quote from Gimpster :...and I have seem them walk away from the FZR like its standing still.

That's because it's quicker to walk than it is to wait for the turbo to spool up

Honestly, though, I haven't had much problem with any of the three. I don't like the way the FZR handles, but I like the other two so I drive them instead. Yea the XRR has a little lag; that's just another little challenge to overcome. I don't really notice the lag all that much anyways.
What the hell is with these crappy bump the thread post these days!
Quote from Blackout :What the hell is with these crappy bump the thread post these days!

Must be the heat.
Quote from Huru-aito :Must be the heat.

you kinda just owned yourself then, that post was over a year ago...

IMO its so people dont get flammed by posting new threads instead of searching (its a lose - lose situation this forum....)
Quote from anbiddulph :you kinda just owned yourself then, that post was over a year ago...

Or maybe it was deliberate?
Ok guys, see you in a year for another controversial bump!
Quote :XRR is the 'step on the gas pedal and wait and wait and maybe till the next lap, the boost will come on' car.

so build boost before you launch?
Quote from Primoz :A lot of people are saying that the XRR is the 'step on the gas pedal and wait and wait and mybe till the next lap, the boost will come on' car. FXR is also turbocharged but has it's own, unique problems. One being the AWD transmission - power loss and tyre eating

I haven't searched, i haven't seen the improvement suggestions thread, i just got this idea on the bus on my way to school (typing this at my computer class), so if it was suggested, tell me to put my flamesuit on.

Anyway, the suggestion? Missfiring system. Many of you know this, for those who don't, it's used on WRC cars and is the thing that makes the 'BANG BANG' when the drivers lift of the gas pedal. What it does is pump some gas into the engine but the sparkplug doesn't ignite it. When it reaches the exhaust, it explodes because the exhaust is VERY hot. This then spins the turbo and once you press the gas pedal, hey presto, instant boost!

What do you guys think? Would be nice to be implemented and would probably help the XRR. Lately it has been used in the JGTC too, so it's not limited just to WRC. Would be nice if we also had backfires

EDIT:Wikipedia

Aren't anti-lags used to keep the turbo spooling while you take your foot off the gas(which you don't do in XRR/FXR) to shift? Seems pointless to me...
see you next year Huru, same place aight?
the worst thing about the xrr is the start line. you can start pole and if there is a fxr or a fzr behind you ...youll lose your position maybe 2 or 3. it is absolutley horrid off the line. ive treid everything watching where the turbo is i usually start off with -2..-3 turbo active but it jsut doesnt grab like the other cars you can go basically flat out xrr takes finesse and its still slower
I was going to suggest being less of a fail driver, then they aren't so slow. Just depends on the driver and the quality of the field sometimes.
Well, I think it is okay as now about FXO GTR and XR GTR. If there is more GTR or TCC or any of other Racing turbo cars, then I would say it would work.

about features of cars, XR GTR and FXO GTR are not that bad:

..........................Start.......Speed....Turning Speed
FXO GTR...4WD..Fastest.......Slow...........Fastest
XR GTR......FR......Slow........Medium..........Fast
FZ50 GTR...RR......Fast........Fastest..........Fast

IMO, I think this fits nicely, of course, This is my testing for these or maybe I just can handle them differently, I got fastest speed with FXO GTR in Kyoto Ring Long, nice to handle that car there
Quote from wheel4hummer :It is a very interesting idea to use a supercharger to spool up a turbo. Maybe such a system should be implemented in the FXR and XRR? The supercharger would compress the air to about 4psi, and then the air would go into the turbocharger, which would compress it to 24psi. When you press on the gas, the supercharger would be forcing the turbo to spin! There would definitely need to be a bypass valve between the supercharger and turbocharger, because a supercharger reduces the engine braking since it is constantly compressing air.

huh?
Superchargers blowing air directly into a supercharger is pointless, its an much better idea to blow this extra air into the engine which can use it to generate extra power and lots of extra air-volume(exhaust..) to spool the turbocharger even better up and at the same time generating nice low-end torgue for the driver.

There are irl cars with have a small supercharger and a turbocharger. The supercharger is used when the engine is running at low revs. As soon as the rev get over a certain point the turbocharger takes over smoothly. At certain point, the small supercharger will be too small to be of any use. At that point the ecu will bypass the supercharger(electronicaly controlled valves in airintake) and all the work for blowing extra air into the engine is done from that point by the turbocharger.

VW golf 1.4 tfsi (GT) for example is using such system and it works very well. Performance is comparable to a 2.5 liter v6. Fuel usage comparable to an modern 1.8 4 cylinder at cruising speed. Since power essentially comes from burning fuel.. At full throttle the fuel usage will be nearly as high as the fuel usage of a 2.5 v6 at full throttle.
Quote from 5th Earth :
Of course, what would be really great is a twincharger system so at high speed the supercharger drops out and an enormous turbo takes over. Best of both worlds, Lancia's later Group B rally cars used this with great success. But they're the only people in racing history to pull it off--the only other twincharger I've heard of actually being used in a car was an aftermarket modification for the early Toyota MR2, and it was supposed to be almost impossible to tune.

Have you a heard of an old model of nissan micra(or march,whatever)
which was called superturbo??It was a combination in 1.0L engine of a supercharger with a turbocharger.It worked pretty well and it had power at all rpms.Try searching for it you might find it

Or here if your bored to search
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nissan+micra+superturbo
Now i understand why the fzr is faster that xrr in general.

So +1 to the op idea.
Although it's four years old

A solution for the FXR and XRR 'slowness'
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG