The online racing simulator
Quote from Tweaker :I still don't understand how "LFS feels perfectly flat and smooth"... unless you only drive on the skidpad

Me neither...just drived with UF GTR on South City Town, and it really wasnt smooth at all, bumbs everywhere

And about rFactor, I have tried the MP-demo. The first impression was "grrgh" becouse the steering, wheel wanted to pull left or right full all the time didnt like beeing on the centre, could have been a bug but I could fix it, and just made me think negative things about the game. Cars look plastic and indeed litle rice too,....There was (and still is) something about LFS when you try it the very first time, when I tryed the S1 demo I just knew that this is the game I want, the first impression is important to make customer to buy and LFS does it way better than rFactor or GTR/L...
Quote from Tweaker :The only reason people think rFactor has crazy bumpy tracks (like they feel it) is because the game, by default, comes with excessive G-Force movements of the head. The tracks are smooth in rFactor too you know....

Maybe so, but Rfactor gives you a better sense of being on a real track i think.

You wouldnt be able to create a perfectly smooth track in the real world, like you can in 3d max..
Quote from Blackout :And about rFactor, I have tried the MP-demo. The first impression was "grrgh" becouse the steering, wheel wanted to pull left or right full all the time didnt like beeing on the centre,

I know, its the same on GTR, but you can fix it. Just have to press an invert button or something. Don't remember exactly what I did, but its not too difficult.

What I have learned when I am comparing new games to my fav games is that I HAVE to be open minded, or ellse I won't like the game because my fav game is better no matter how good the new game is.

There is goods and bads with rFactor, but the same is it with LFS to, I bet there will come patches that will fix buggs the next months, but I won't bother buying rFactor until I know it is going to survive and isn't yet another overhyped "sim" racing game.
There are just little things that LFS needs to make you feel like you're on the track. Most importantly, which I STILL am waiting for in LFS is curb noises, better dirt sounds (in the fenders/wells), .... other external miscellaneous sounds such as cars roaring in the distance, crowds cheering (btw there isn't anybody in the grandstands or standing on the sidelines watching you race.....), .... extra track additions ... more ad banners, balloons, festivities, etc etc....

That's the part (all of the above) that lacks in almost every sim's tracks I think

I mean... u ever take a tour at Aston? Great track, but the exterior details are lacking to make it seem lively.
Quote from Blackout :Me neither...just drived with UF GTR on South City Town, and it really wasnt smooth at all, bumbs everywhere

And about rFactor, I have tried the MP-demo. The first impression was "grrgh" becouse the steering, wheel wanted to pull left or right full all the time didnt like beeing on the centre, could have been a bug but I could fix it, and just made me think negative things about the game. Cars look plastic and indeed litle rice too,....There was (and still is) something about LFS when you try it the very first time, when I tryed the S1 demo I just knew that this is the game I want, the first impression is important to make customer to buy and LFS does it way better than rFactor or GTR/L...

u didnt configure it right, using logitech ff driver, force must be set to -100% ( MINUS HUNDRED PURCENT ).

Appart from that, i bought the game, and love it .. I play with DFP set to 500°, physics feel right, FFB feel right, graphics are a bit too 'cartoonish', sounds is great , i dt care it is "old" sample system, IT sounds great.Career mode is very good, the upgrade part is very interestings, sort of Gran Tourismo like mode
I still love LFS, but rFactor will come with Addon track ( real ones) , new cars ( real ones ), and that LFS will never have..
Spiderx... how can you fell it is always sliding ????
anyway...
I love both.. good 4 me that is 2 sim to drive
Quote from MagicFr :and that LFS will never have..

I love both.. good 4 me that is 2 sim to drive

Never say never.

Nice to see someone who can enjoy both! Good on you.

Both have good and bad points, so play both, and you get the best of both worlds.
I have always used very high head movement settings in LFS, but I was just amazed how calm and dead the driving sensation actually is in LFS - even when racing GTR cars at the speeds of over 250 km/h. And then I tried the XR GT Turbo and... wow... even worse. It really feels like driving on flat surface (although I see the small bumbs in suspension view).
I'm not getting into the discussion which engine sound creating method is better, samples or real-time generating, because both have pros/cons. But none of you can deny that there should be plenty of more sounds in LFS if the sim is trying to be more realistic. I'm not asking that there should be 100 000 sounds playing at the same time, so be reasonable when flaming, please...

Personally, the lack of immersive sound enviroment is the main reason why I suddenly feel so disconnected when playing LFS.

But hey, I might grow tired of rFactor soon, who knows. And I seriously doubt if ANYONE can do the multiplayer code and playability better than our precious Devs. Cheers!
Quote from spankmeyer :But none of you can deny that there should be plenty of more sounds in LFS if the sim is trying to be more realistic.

Anyone who even tries to deny this, must have their sound turned off. I think just about everyone is in agreement about this.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Man, the in-car view in rFactor is HORRIBLE! It doesn't look or feel the least bit real to me. What's the game on the right?

Oh my god, I was convinced that the right image was the rFactor one! Absolutely amazing.

Quote from Bob Smith :No demo? How am I supposed to know if I want to buy it? Silly...

Wait, no demo? Then what is this 400mb file I am downloading?
Quote from MagicFr :
Spiderx... how can you fell it is always sliding ????

even without demo i take a chance...
because all isi powered sims when u curve you're put in a void of feel?
Quote from dUmAsS :actually, rfactor cost £0.99 more then s2

In the US LFS is more expensive. I can get rFactor for $39.99US but when I registered LFS about two weeks ago it was $47 and change, IIRC.
Quote from Cue-Ball :In the US LFS is more expensive. I can get rFactor for $39.99US but when I registered LFS about two weeks ago it was $47 and change, IIRC.

$47 USD???? uh......

12.00 GBP = 21.9957 USD
Quote from eobet :Wait, no demo? Then what is this 400mb file I am downloading?

That's the full game. You won't be able to do anything other than install it unless you pay for an unlock code. There is no demo in the game and there is no separate demo at this time.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Didn't you just say "so far, so good" three hours ago? What made you change your mind?

Does anyone care to give a really in-depth review? Hearing "it sucks" is nice and all, but not really constructive.

I liked the day to night transition, but the more I played it, the less I felt I was getting my moneys worth.

Again, If you liked any of ISI`s graphics in other games, or the MP demo, then the graphics will be ok with you. I think they look dull and dingy. Sound is ok, Ffb is ok, Physics are fine, MP is great. It`s just a good sim. Nothing great, not the OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! kind of sim that will make an A.S.S out of you.

It isn`t the GPL killer, it isn`t the LFS killer, it`s the same old ISI in new clothes. For me LFS is not only a great sim, but it is fun to drive, RFactor just wasn`t. Getting my money back to preorder S3, I think The Devs, for LFS are going in the right direction, as to the way a great sim can be.
Quote from Tweaker :$47 USD???? uh......

12.00 GBP = 21.9957 USD

I just checked and it cost $42.63 exactly. So I was a few bucks off going from memory, but rFactor is still cheaper. And keep in mind that S2 is only alpha (more expensive, but it's not "released" software) and is only two-thirds done, as everyone is keen on pointing out. So, by the time S3 is out, buying the full LFS will be much more expensive than the full version of rFactor.
Quote from Tweaker :That's the part (all of the above) that lacks in almost every sim's tracks I think

I mean... u ever take a tour at Aston? Great track, but the exterior details are lacking to make it seem lively.

yeah, and I would love to have the abbility to drive wherever I want to on the track, like if the race is held on AS Club, and I want to take a little trip up to the chicane on AS Historic then I should be able to do so.

That could even give more opportunities for special layouts

Remember you could do this on the racecircuit on world racing.
My game is still LFS, no doubt about that. Im looking forward to new car sounds, night transition and a little bit better tyre grip later on in LFS.
I had run most of the evening alone on the rFactor servers. There are only 90 racers online according to Racecast and i have trouble finding somebody to race with. If I find some, people are leaving after only one lap or so. Not much are going on for a completly new game.

But maybe eveything is getting better when Mods arrives.

I LOVE LFS, thx. devs.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I just checked and it cost $42.63 exactly. So I was a few bucks off going from memory, but rFactor is still cheaper. And keep in mind that S2 is only alpha (more expensive, but it's not "released" software) and is only two-thirds done, as everyone is keen on pointing out. So, by the time S3 is out, buying the full LFS will be much more expensive than the full version of rFactor.

That would be because you paid for S1 and S2 at the same time, if you had s1 already it would have only been 22$ for S2, which is hugely cheaper than most games with an expansion pack (in example sim city, its normaly 40$ for the base, then say another 20$ for the addon pack, whereas lfs is 20$ for the "base" and 20$ for the "addon", so yes, r factor is cheaper, but you are only paying for 1 game, in essance you paid for lfs plus an addon pack. I hope this make sense.
that may be true dodge.. but rFactor has (guessing) about the same amount of stuff S2 has (through pics that i've seen.. i have no clue how many tracks/cars it has)

i kinda liked the rFactor MP demo.. it had some good +'s like the sound.. was very well put together.. but some negatives too.. like.. the odd shading (as already pointed out lol) but overall.. looks like quite the interesting game imo
#95 - thd
Quote from Phlos :Lamer.

Yes yes. On your way now, rFactor awaits your genius!
Quote from Cue-Ball :I just checked and it cost $42.63 exactly. So I was a few bucks off going from memory, but rFactor is still cheaper. And keep in mind that S2 is only alpha (more expensive, but it's not "released" software) and is only two-thirds done, as everyone is keen on pointing out. So, by the time S3 is out, buying the full LFS will be much more expensive than the full version of rFactor.

A couple bucks more and it makes the difference between a 2 bit crack whore and a $1000 call girl.

Seriously though, I haven't bought rFactor yet so I can't really comment on the driving or any of that, but it does look godawful. The 3d models seem to be nothing but boxes (look at the mirrors for example and that freaky steering wheel that looks like it's been carved out of granite...) and the textures look like they were drawn in MS Paint. Especially their 2d art is just plain bad. What's with all those bevels? And the thick straight black lines? And that horrible interface (the overlay and the in-car dials)? And the over saturation? The textures all look like high res versions of 7 years old textures. There's no proper detail in them. It all looks cartoony to me. And it doesn't have to be. Look at the GTP mod and the Simbin games (say of Simbin what you want, but they do know how to make an interior look good). ISI could have easily hired some of those F1C mod making guys to actually make it look good. And that "but it's a modding platform" doesn't do it for me either. This game is supposed to be finished, but they're relying on mod teams to actually finish the game for them. So now I'm going to have to wait a year or so for a mod team to make a mod that actually is of a professional standard? I don't think so. I'll stick with LFS...

/rant out.
Quote from XCNuse :that may be true dodge.. but rFactor has (guessing) about the same amount of stuff S2 has (through pics that i've seen.. i have no clue how many tracks/cars it has)

rFactor has 5 (very American style ) tracks and 6 cars. I don't have rFactor but the track layouts and car info is on the rFactor website.
Absolutely underwhelmed by this rFactor game.

Nothing is outstanding, in my opinion. Sounds are nice, except for the wind and road noise, oh, and other cars which sound like keyboards but with fewer keys, and the annoyingly repetitive crash/smash mp3.
GFX look ok, but not "revolutionary", and the modelling of some of the cars, interiors and tracks is almost funny. Not that it runs that well on my computer, which handles the easily-as-nice-to-look-at LFS with no problem.
Handling is too mushy, numb and vague, even the single-seaters, but I guess that's a "realistic tyre model" for you, hmm, glad my real car has an unrealistic tyre model, it's much more fun.

It really makes me wonder just how much engine sounds influence people.
Quote from sinbad :It really makes me wonder just how much engine sounds influence people.

More than I dare to imagine... There are people who won't drive LFS BECAUSE of it's sounds, even though it trounces every other driving sim (imho of course) in nearly every other department. Hell, all departments!
Quote from danowat :I don't know, it's just that whacking a friggin great wing on a small hatchback looks a bit ricer to me..........

I never said rF was "no good", I just said it wasnt as good as LFS , there is a BIG difference between those 2 statements.

Dan.

... Don't forget that's a front wheel drive hatchback.

Cheers,

Allan.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG