The online racing simulator
Gripping or racing?
(77 posts, started )
Quote from G!NhO :its just not a word...

its a "term" used by drifters for racing.

did i say that.........no

i saidf that you said that Gripping is the main factor of racing that requires grip. or something similair.....

1. about that term...
read my first post on this topic again mate. If then any questions about that text left ask instad of saying something random witch i proved you wrong on my first comment

2. "did i say that.........no?"

You didnt that? Lol... is it me or do i really read... and i quote:

"...and that "Gripping is the term for Motor racing that has grip as the the main factor". Bollocks IMO. "

Its in your first post m8...

3. And 'hottentottententententoonstelling' is a official word... tough try to look it up the the dictionary, you wouldnt find it... Your dutch so you'll know what i meen...

And those comments the word only came to world by some NFS game... rofl... lets hope thats sarcasm and i just dont get it :twirl:
Who cares? No need to fight over what words mean or what word to use to mean something. Just let people use any word they want and if you don't understand what they mean by a word, ask them.
Quote from VR38DETT :

"...and that "Gripping is the term for Motor racing that has grip as the the main factor". Bollocks IMO. "

Its in your first post m8...

try reading this again below.

Quote from VR38DETT :I did Never mention that motorracing was the main factor of gripping...
:

you did mention the thing i said, but not what i quoted here from you.

You never proofed me wrong, its a term used by drifters.

So i can also come up with a name for drifting and saying its a legitimate word...
Hurray for pop culture bastardizations of .... pretty much anything, this is no exception.

I'm off to take in some drag-gripping!
Quote from geeman1 :Who cares? No need to fight over what words mean or what word to use to mean something.

That's a terrible attitude! Let's stop teaching language in school then too.

Fight bastardization!
I love Kart-gripping especcially with lots of grip on the steering wheel.

Anyone up for some Formula 1 gripping tonight?
Quote from G!NhO :try reading this again below.

you did mention the thing i said, but not what i quoted here from you.

You never proofed me wrong, its a term used by drifters.

So i can also come up with a name for drifting and saying its a legitimate word...

lol, sorry, was a typo... but still i never said it that way eighter...
but anyway, besides the whole 'you did say - i didnt say discussion' you say i still didnt prove you wrong? Well... My first comment (witch you seem to ignore) i typed a whole text trying to prove you wrong. So if you want a real discussion (pointless or not) read that comment of my and tell me why that text isnt true... what point i tell in that text are wrong???

I can type whatever i want but aslong as you only reply 'Its just a term made by drifters' and you dont get involved in any of my 'points' we are getting nowhere

prove me wrong
hehe
Quote from G!NhO :I love Kart-gripping especcially with lots of grip on the steering wheel.

Anyone up for some Formula 1 gripping tonight?

what ?
brabo used the word gripping to mean any type of motor racing that involved competertive racing against the clock/ set number of laps where the idea is to go as fast as possible round the track and get number 1 spot. He did not use grip to replace the word race. So the fact your making a joke about somthing that wasnt even said is to me, pointless, just like this thread. Its not going to solve a problem that doesnt even exist.
Its pointless to start a discussion again because the "point" is already proven by many other posters, and i will not say it again.

Ok let me put it this way, its a term used in NFS Pro Street. Which isn't a good thing.

AND YES you did say that several times......ffs
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :That's a terrible attitude! Let's stop teaching language in school then too.
Fight bastardization!

The thing is you can't change how people use words. Word meanings change over time and new slang words will form. There is nothing you can do to stop it. Fighting against it is pointless.
Arguing about them always ends up in shouting and name calling and in the end no one is any wiser, usually only more angry.
Racing is the same motor racing, drifting is also a form of motor racing, gripping IS not another word for racing, normal people call racing racing and not gripping which makes no sense just like this comment so...

I wonder why the term gripping isn't on google, youtube or any other non NFS/drifter page.
drifting is also a form of motor racing
Since when is drifting a form of racing?
(mainly)

And a word world wide know so much only comes from NFS... imo...
I talking about the real drifting here, not some sort of arcade game...
And im sensing a bit of a temper here... Hey, i didnt start this topic and you don't have to reply... And your still not wanting a discussion at all cause at everything i say or prove you wrong your only answer is 'its just a term used by drifters from NFS...' so when you keeps your ears and eyes shut for other visions you'll keep thinking in your own lil'world. Tunnelvision they call that... No offence mate, but if your not will to start a real discussion i'll better keep the honor on my side and leave it here...

Have fun my motorsport friend...
(yes thats grippers AND all other motorsportminded amongst us)
And dont forget...

.... keep it sideways
#38 - 5haz
Get a grip.
Quote from VR38DETT :drifting is also a form of motor racing
Since when is drifting a form of racing?

Thats also strange, some drifters get angry when i say it isnt racing and you think its NOT racing...

look, drifting is also a competion of speed (and show).

Quote :race 2 (rs)
n.
1. Sports
a. A competition of speed, as in running or riding.
b. races A series of such competitions held at a specified time on a regular course: a fan of the dog races.
2. An extended competition in which participants struggle like runners to be the winner: the presidential race.
3. Steady or rapid onward movement: the race of time.
a. A strong or swift current of water.
b. The channel of such a current.
c. An artificial channel built to transport water and use its energy. Also called raceway.
5. A groovelike part of a machine in which a moving part slides or rolls.
6. See slipstream.
v. raced, rac·ing, rac·es
v.intr.
1. Sports To compete in a contest of speed.
2. To move rapidly or at top speed: We raced home. My heart was racing with fear.
3. To run too rapidly due to decreased resistance or unnecessary provision of fuel: adjusted the idle to keep the engine from racing.
v.tr.
1. Sports
a. To compete against in a race.
b. To cause to compete in a race: She races horses for a living.
2. To transport rapidly or at top speed; rush: raced the injured motorist to the hospital.
3. To cause (an engine with the gears disengaged, for example) to run swiftly or too swiftly.

Quote from G!NhO : normal people

define normal ?

plus i dont see how you can say only nfs drifters say gripper, because i dont play nfs and i use it.

what website did you get that infromation from ??? ^^^
Quote from kroozin :define normal ?

plus i dont see how you can say only nfs drifters say gripper, because i dont play nfs and i use it.

what website did you get that infromation from ??? ^^^

i said only NFS and drifters use it

from a dictionary...

saying drifting isnt motor racing is like saying rally driving isnt motor racing.
It's not drifting, it's slipping. Get it right
Another similar one, although nowhere near as annoying:
Wheel spin / sliding / slipping

The tyres, if you are moving, are in a perpetual state of spin and slide. So anyone saying "too much throttle spins the wheels" or "the transition from grip to slide" isn't really accurate. Still, it gets the idea across, so lets all just sit back and enjoy some gripping motorport, be that racing or drifting.

Edit: prime candidate above.
Quote from geeman1 :The thing is you can't change how people use words. Word meanings change over time and new slang words will form. There is nothing you can do to stop it. Fighting against it is pointless.
Arguing about them always ends up in shouting and name calling and in the end no one is any wiser, usually only more angry.

Watch the movie "Idiocracy". This kind of crap takes humans down that path.

I, one man, cannot stop the illigitimate and moronic (mis)use of words, but I, along with my grammarnazi(tm) collegues can slow the insidious corruption caused by filthy verbal mutations. I hereby call my bretheren to instate the Union Against Bullshit Terminology (UABT). Together, we shall fight to protect the DNA of terminology everywhere from gross infection by the vile disease of popus-culturitis (POP-us CUL-ture-EYE-tus).

Yoho mateys.
#45 - 5haz
Argh, it's extreme, over the top powersliding, not drifting, as I've said before.
Quote from G!NhO :

saying drifting isnt motor racing is like saying rally driving isnt motor racing.

obviously you cannot read. he said since when has drifting been racing. Drifting isnt (motor)racing, it is a motor sport. Its a battle of angle, smoke, speed, and skill.
hmm
RACE DRIVER: GRIP
RACE DRIVER: DRIFT
Quote from kroozin : Its a battle of angle, smoke, speed, and skill.

so i can call drifting, Angling or Smoking? because thats what you need in order to win.

same as you need grip to win a race.

Booyakasha!
Quote from G!NhO :same as you need grip to win a race.

Not necessarily, you could drift around the track and still win if you were good enough

(Likewise, if your opponents were crap enough, you could win a drift-dorito-battle-twin-arab-combo without actually drifting :razz

Gripping or racing?
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG