The online racing simulator
Gripping or racing?
(77 posts, started )
You still need grip to drift. Therefore calling non-drifting gripping is just stupid. But then people (mainly drifters, who are usually [but not always] the mentally challenged, stereotypically) seem to think that a slide is an absence of grip.
In racing you sometimes need to go beyond the line of having grip, but in the end still having grip.
So dont say gripping.
Quote from G!NhO :Well i was on a drift server and someone said the word "gripping".

I told him it isn't the correct term for racing, it's just a term used by drifters for racing. But he said it was a word and blablabla, and that "Gripping is the term for Motor racing that has grip as the the main factor". Bollocks IMO.

I looked it up in an online english dictionary and it wasn't in it.

So who is right, me or the dorifto boyz?

I searched and didn't want to bump a 4 year old thread. :P

And who gives a penny for what a drifter thinks?
Quote from tristancliffe :You still need grip to drift. Therefore calling non-drifting gripping is just stupid. But then people (mainly drifters, who are usually [but not always] the mentally challenged, stereotypically) seem to think that a slide is an absence of grip.

Yeah... I share pretty much the same feelings as what you've said..

What's more, I just detest the word "gripping" as it's completely stupid. D:
I think racing is usually gripping, whilst drifting is only of limited interest. Badumtssch!

"Did you see that ace drifting on TV last night?"
"Yeah, I thought it was gripping"
"No, it was drifting"
"I know, but I thought it was gripping"
"But it was drifting"
"I know, and it was gripping"
Quote from Speed Soro :And who gives a penny for what a drifter thinks?

As long as they are happy players in LFS

I sense another racers vs drifters war, but oh well.....
Quote from tristancliffe :You still need grip to drift. Therefore calling non-drifting gripping is just stupid. But then people (mainly drifters, who are usually [but not always] the mentally challenged, stereotypically) seem to think that a slide is an absence of grip.

Thank you.
Quote from VR38DETT :The term 'gripping' doesn't pure and only have to meen 'racing'... Basicly (few exeptions) all types of motorsport when you try to be the fastest/fast you could call as a typ of 'gripping'... Its like a main-term to defention of multiple types of motorsport... For example racing, go-karting, drag-racing, gymkhana, tougé. (Last to types not to be confused with their drift-version brothers). For all these types you need optimal 'grip' to win this event (and ofc other things like handling capabillity)... Its like you got 'Civillian Cars' that you have in multiple other versions 'sedans, MPVs, 4WD's, Hatchbacks' and so on. The 'Civillian Cars' can be replaced with 'gripping' and the versions with any kind of grip-motorsport. Civillian Cars have their main task to transport people (unlike Company Vans 'drifting'). The models (Sedan, MPV....) are just a type of Civillian cars preforming the same task just in a different form.

But you can't really compare gripping and drifting their its a total different kind of sport. Only simulair thing is we both use cars but thats about it. (Like said before its like comparing a 500m ice skate sprint vs. show iceskating). But yea, since some people thing 'gripping' is per deffinition a negative term they don't like to hear it... but that doesn't make it untrue.

Just like now-a-days people call every powerslide drifting... Or say that powersliding, doing donuts or burnouts is a form of drifting... Thats not true... Yes they are both competetive and the amount of 'SHOW' is the main key to succes, but that doesn't make it drifting... But since drifting is a pretty new sport (relativly) we doent have a main term that includes Tansou, Tsuiso, Gymkhana (driftversion), Tougé (driftversion), the art of donuts and burnouts all in one. Maybe we should call all these things together 'showmotoring' or something . So we get 'showmotoring' and 'gripping'... Witch doesnt meen the same as 'drifting' and 'racing'... Thier are multiple different version of these type's of motorsport... But all those toghether you can seperate them in the group 'showmotoring' and 'gripping'...

Race and drift....
uhhhhhhhhhh
Race and showmotor in peace!

Although your explanation above is all over the place and kinda random, you make one critical error.

You try to make the distinction that Gripping is a form of motor sport. It isn't. It doesn't exist.

There is motor sport. This is a broad category that includes everything from F1 to track days and everything in between. There are multiple subcategories within motor sports. Unfortunately, drifting is one of them (I would rank drifting slightly below lawn mower racing). However, there is no subcategory called "gripping" or "grip-racing". There is just racing. Racing does break down into hundreds of subcategories too including ralley and club racing. To say there is such a thing as "gripping" basically implies that drifting is akin to and associated with racing. It is not. There is racing and there is drifting. They are two completely different subcategories of motor sport.

Drifting is synchronized swimming. Or, to look at it another way, it is "sports entertainment". It takes the guise of a sport in order to provide entertainment for viewers. It is much like the US professional wrestling, AKA WWF, in that regard.
Quote from G!NhO :so i can call drifting, Angling or Smoking? because thats what you need in order to win.

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

However I wouldn't say Smoking... Because I'm a smoker, and sometimes i light up a cigarette when racing over long periods of time. It would create the following confusion : "I'm a smoker" "Go to a smoking server then" "That's not what I meant..."

Angling is very relevant though. Yeah let's take their reasonning, since angles is the principal aspect of Drift competitions, the sport should be called angling. (or perhaps cockdisplaying, since cockdisplay is perhaps the main factor of these peacock fights )

So when is Formula Angle this year ? Are there still many angling servers in LFS ? Because last time I check, there were a lot more anglers than racers...

_____

FYI : Gripping comes from Pro Street... Before the trailers came out, I've never heard any drifter tell the word in the servers, nor nowhere else. If you consider Pro Street as a source for racing history, terminology, techniques and physics, then you fail Sirs.
Those darn drifters:doh:
Quote from Zen321 :Angling is very relevant though.

Let's not insult the intelligence of bass by associating them with the drifting community
Well seems the way terms are used differ from place to place...

Im a swede, and i tend to think that "drifting" has become what you say "gripping" has become to the drift community.

People use "drifting" for stupid thing like sliding around in the snow, or just skidding or powersliding on some gravel.

Drifting isnt just sliding your car... its based on and involves sliding your car but its so much more... using the word "drift" or "drifting" for loosing your grip or "powersliding" is just as demeening as using the word "gripping" for racing.

I use the terms, "grip", "grippy" or "gripping" to describe and unwanted behaviour of my car when im drifting, and that is when the car simply has to much grip to effectivly work together with my driving style... like someone said earlier, drifting can be compared to "figure skating" and really doesnt have anything incommon with racing.

so how i think it should be.

Gipping: unwanted behaviour of my car(to much grip)
Drifting: a term to describe the motorsport of drifting, and NOT how the car behaves.
skidding/sliding: a behaviour of the car.
Racing: the term of how to describe a motorsport genré.
Quote from AcesHigh :Well seems the way terms are used differ from place to place...

Im a swede, and i tend to think that "drifting" has become what you say "gripping" has become to the drift community.

People use "drifting" for stupid thing like sliding around in the snow, or just skidding or powersliding on some gravel.

Drifting isnt just sliding your car... its based on and involves sliding your car but its so much more... using the word "drift" or "drifting" for loosing your grip or "powersliding" is just as demeening as using the word "gripping" for racing.

I use the terms, "grip", "grippy" or "gripping" to describe and unwanted behaviour of my car when im drifting, and that is when the car simply has to much grip to effectivly work together with my driving style... like someone said earlier, drifting can be compared to "figure skating" and really doesnt have anything incommon with racing.

so how i think it should be.

Gipping: unwanted behaviour of my car(to much grip)
Drifting: a term to describe the motorsport of drifting, and NOT how the car behaves.

Very good. Well, except for the fact that phrases such as "4 wheel drift" used to describe a particular type of sliding of the car has been in use for years in racing.

So, just come up with a different name for your sport, and we will all be happy. How about Makingmoneyfortirecompanies, or Gnicar or Smorking, or Lapsus (latin for slide), or Lapsusbalartro (for the driver), or something like that.
Quote from AcesHigh :
Gripping: unwanted behaviour of my car(to much grip)

Yes that makes sense.

@Hallen you prooved the dorifto boy wrong.
#66 - Riel
Well, in most languages Racing is nothing more than moving very fast.

Gripping well sounds like shit IMHO, I never heard of it
"Gripping" is just such a crappy term, I've not heard it used before except in Need For Speed, where I first heard it and thought "What the ****?".

If you call motor racing "Gripping" I think you're childish and have no experience of racing outside of playing an arcade game with a controller.

No touring car commentators have ever used the term "gripping", neither in F1, NASCAR, Trucks, or any of the events I've spectated at Brands Hatch.

In conclusion - if you call it "gripping", I call you a "cock".
I though I would sum up the whole thread in to one image:
I don't know if "grip" is a NFS invention or if the term was picked up. In NFS Carbon, there were 3 settings for the tires, "drift" (oversteer), middle setting, and "grip" (understeer). The NFS series include a few modes, circuit (street or track), sprint (point to point), drag, drift, wheelie, streetx (like indoor go-cart racing), url (underground racing league, track courses instead of street courses - Underground 2), outruns (get and maintain lead on opponent car, with traffic), speed (sprint almost all at top speed - ProStreet), and pursuit events. Depending on the game, separate tuning and/or cars were used for the various modes.

NFS ProStreet was the first and last (so far) NFS game to use "grip" as a term for a racing mode, but it only saved 3 letters as the only "grip" mode in ProStreet is circuit. Cars were setup for one the ProStreet modes, grip (circuit), drag, drift, wheelie, speed.

The next NFS - Undercover doesn't use the term "grip", and it only has one mode for cars (no drift or drag modes), just racing and pursuit events, all of which use the same tuning.
#71 - SamH
IMO, the term "grip racing" is, to English language, what "Halloween skellington" is. Something kids will eventually grow out of.
I first heard the distinction between 'Grip' and 'Drift' In old arcade games like Ridge racer. Also in old Japanese movies there's mention of grip and drift styles. Other than the ridiculous arcadey meanings. I sort of thought of it as having a tendancy to understeer vs having a tendancy to oversteer. Both at extremes involve a loss of grip. It's just retarded in general to call racing "gripping" but I dont worry or complain about it anymore....

I remember back in the day i would drift, and if one guy wasnt going for big angle and wasnt sliding enough, someone would sometimes yell that he was gripping
I did a re-check and as corrected above, there is only one NFS game to use the term "grip" to refer to a game mode (ProStreet), the older NFS games, and the current Undercover don't use the term "grip", so it didn't last long in the case of the NFS series.
Why are you all talking about me?
Can I hurt some you guys for getting this discussion yet again?
everyone that
IMO this is just a converstation that can never be won by any part of the discussers everyone can call it what they want so whats the big point seriously ........
Al of u know this subject is just useless al of you guy should know that becaus it wil never get setteled and its stupid so dont bring it up

Gripping or racing?
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG