Why the devs didn't realease a final demo for those (like me) who aren't convinced ?
Quote from dontsimon :Thanks for the info. I have the 1.1 version sitting on my HDD, just need to get round to setting it up. I assume it isn't possible to get hold os the V1.0 content??

I have a version of Wat Glen long for NR2003, but I don't recall any sweeping left turns. I'll take another look. Where can i get that specific version??

The tracks and cars are still on the net, hosted by other sites, I'll try and find a link for you.
Quote from dontsimon :Thanks for the info. I have the 1.1 version sitting on my HDD, just need to get round to setting it up. I assume it isn't possible to get hold os the V1.0 content??

I have a version of Wat Glen long for NR2003, but I don't recall any sweeping left turns. I'll take another look. Where can i get that specific version??

http://www.gtpzone.com

there are more sites on net with great tracks. i advice roadtwo rattlesnake point by alex ulleri...

the 1.0 content is worth it, try emule or torrent sites like torrentspy etc...
sry i cant help more since im credited ingame and...

btw, have i ever said how much i love first-racing/iracing?
The more I play rFactor the more I'm getting the feeling that LFS is lacking. The whole "being at the races" feel and atmosphere is on a whole new level above LFS. Listening to LFS's sounds makes me cringe now after hearing cars in rFactor. LFS most definetly needs a big improvement on the audio part. Maybe time to hire a sound designer?

But hey, it's a good thing that now we got two fine sims at the moment, right?
I agree, the ISI games definatly have the atmosphere just about perfect (other than the fake car sounds) but when it comes to physics, im just not feeling it, i can feel what im doing in lfs car, but in r factor its like, im just kinda along for the ride, there is no sensation of acually driving the car (grip, suspension movement, body roll ect), lfs and papy games spoiled me on that i suppose, but if games dont have that now its just no fun for me then (see GT4, i loved gt games till i started playing lfs) (and yes i have played the full game)
Quote from spankmeyer :The more I play rFactor the more I'm getting the feeling that LFS is lacking. The whole "being at the races" feel and atmosphere is on a whole new level above LFS. Listening to LFS's sounds makes me cringe now after hearing cars in rFactor. LFS most definetly needs a big improvement on the audio part. Maybe time to hire a sound designer?

it's not hard to use recorded sounds like GTR or rF.
LFS has another philosphy, you'll have to accept that. And maybe someday it's as good as those 2 games, but with all the advantages of synthesized sounds.
#57 - Gunn
Have you guys ever heard of LFS S2 Alpha? LFS isn't finished at all yet, but when it is finally finished that would be the best time to make comparisons.
Please don't post your 'opinion' of rFactor unless you've actually played the bleedin' thing. It's difficult enough to get an overall judgement without the pointless comments from people who are just guessing what it might be like. :rolleyes:
Quote from Gunn :Have you guys ever heard of LFS S2 Alpha? LFS isn't finished at all yet, but when it is finally finished that would be the best time to make comparisons.

Alpha or not, it doesn't matter. LFS S2 Alpha is available now, rFactor is available now. That makes them direct competitors. Not to mention the fact that LFS actually costs MORE than rFactor (a finished game).

I love LFS, but you can't reserve judgement just because it's "not finished". It's available for a fee, the same as rFactor (and other sims) so it needs to be compared on it's merits [i]as it is right now[/], not as it may be some time in the future.

Quote from dubster :Please don't post your 'opinion' of rFactor unless you've actually played the bleedin' thing. It's difficult enough to get an overall judgement without the pointless comments from people who are just guessing what it [i]might[/i] be like. :rolleyes:

While I agree with you to a point, I don't need to play the game to know that the cars look like ass (both exterior and interior). I can see that much from screenshots. Also, the game's track layouts are all shown on the rFactor web site. I don't need to play the game to know that the tracks are fewer and less varied than LFS.

But, these are both things that can (and will) be changed since rFactor is so open to modding. I really, truly hope that the control, physics, and game mechanics of rFactor are solid. As long as those things work well, the graphical stuff can be modded and additional tracks can be added. I can't wait to drive a '69 Boss 302 on Laguna Seca. LFS won't let me do that, but maybe rFactor eventually will.
#60 - Gunn
Quote from Cue-Ball :That makes them direct competitors.

Hardly.
After having played for a few hours....

LFS is still better.

Graphics wise in LFS, its so much more natural, the colors, the way its not oversaturated, the car models etc..... its all much nicer overall.

Physics wise, rfactor shows typical ISI handling which i hate, i dont feel like im driving, more like swinging a carrot infront of a mule.

Netcode wise... it doesnt compare, lfs is better.

I really hope some good mods improve on the game, as is i feel a bit hollow after having paid for it.

edit: forgot to mention sounds, they are amazing in rfactor
Quote from Cue-Ball :Not to mention the fact that LFS actually costs MORE than rFactor (a finished game).

actually, rfactor cost £0.99 more then s2
I was going to say that Dumass (I love calling you that :P)
and you could still way to buy until the final version is out. it's your choice...
Quote from tristancliffe :(I love calling you that :P)

*cries quietly in the corner*
Brought, Installed and played, and MY opinion?, its certainly no LFS beater......., I am not sure how this is gonna sound, but I'll say it anyway, it feels very "american", a bit brash, a bit gaudy....I dont know, it just doesnt feel "right".

Bottomline is, rFactor DOES NOT contain anything that I have seen so far, that isn't bettered or as good as LFS, except for the ricer addons....

And, I am no "fanboy", if I believed rFactor to be better than LFS, I would say so

Dan.
Quote from danowat :Bottomline is, rFactor DOES NOT contain anything that I have seen so far, that isn't bettered or as good as LFS, except for the ricer addons....

How do you figure that they are ricer addons? All the addons actually do something to improve the car. They aren't just random parts to make it look '1337' or something.

I agree that LFS is better, but that doesn not mean that rF is no good. rF is a very good game. Better than anything else ever made (except LFS).

MAGGOT
Quote from MAGGOT :How do you figure that they are ricer addons? All the addons actually do something to improve the car. They aren't just random parts to make it look '1337' or something.

I agree that LFS is better, but that doesn not mean that rF is no good. rF is a very good game. Better than anything else ever made (except LFS).

MAGGOT

I don't know, it's just that whacking a friggin great wing on a small hatchback looks a bit ricer to me..........

I never said rF was "no good", I just said it wasnt as good as LFS , there is a BIG difference between those 2 statements.

Dan.
Quote from ajp71 :
Quote from Tweaker :When playing the private test version

Whats that?

You know that USGP Lan Party they announced on their site? Well that version of the game with the formula car and the oval-infield track was available privately to a few companies for public display. I played it for a cockpit simulator company, Trinity Racing Concepts. It had full BRD equipment and was a nice setup, but the game didn't feel good with it
Tried LFS tonight as I hadn't touched it for quite some time. And it felt downright horrible and dead after rFactor. So different and very weird. It felt like driving on perfectly flat and smooth surface (and LFS having a very limited soundscape didn't help the feeling at all). I'm using DFP, so it's not über-cheap equipment that's causing the experience, mind you.

(And I used to love Live for Speed's feel)

I don't know what to do anymore...
Quote from spankmeyer :I don't know what to do anymore...

Wait for updates. LFS is going to get better.. at some point.. maybe.. hopefully..
What do you expect, you're trying something new, you're bound to feel the differences with something you've played a lot in the past. If it feels good or bad, I'll still play it, games just get old fast if you play them too much, and a new a game gives you something to do once again

I still don't understand how "LFS feels perfectly flat and smooth"... unless you only drive on the skidpad
Quote from spankmeyer :Tried LFS tonight as I hadn't touched it for quite some time. And it felt downright horrible and dead after rFactor. So different and very weird. It felt like driving on perfectly flat and smooth surface (and LFS having a very limited soundscape didn't help the feeling at all). I'm using DFP, so it's not über-cheap equipment that's causing the experience, mind you.

(And I used to love Live for Speed's feel)

I don't know what to do anymore...

It can only be a joke right.... tracks on rFACTOR are simply horrid, the phisics are completely weird.... you feel like you are sliding all the time..... regarding sound i cant get it... samples do feel good and you have alot of clinks and clanks..but then on a echoes and wind...nothing... on the open wheelers of course...btw....do they have anything against arms on the wheels?

Oh well.... to each is own.....
Quote from SpiderX :It can only be a joke right.... tracks on rFACTOR are simply horrid

But they feel ALIVE. You can feel and see the undulations in the track, the little bumps ect ect - Something LFS does not have, which makes it feel like the tracks "smooth".

LFS tracks feel like brand new surfaced tarmac. Rfactors feel like they have been there for years. (Note : havent played the recent demo, this is what i remember from playing the first demo..)
The only reason people think rFactor has crazy bumpy tracks (like they feel it) is because the game, by default, comes with excessive G-Force movements of the head. The tracks are smooth in rFactor too you know....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG