The online racing simulator
Crytek's CryEngine 3
(16 posts, started )
Crytek's CryEngine 3
CryEngine 3 demo was presented on GDC 2009. The next game will be available for PC, PS3 and Xbox360.

Video (streaming) and some information
HD video stream

Quote from Gamespot :Crytek came to GDC 2009 with a demo of CryENGINE 3. The new engine runs across the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, in a bid to make development cycles cheaper, better, and faster for themselves as well as their licensees. Additionally, the engine will run on future consoles by using simple internal updates, so developers only have to worry about making the game, not porting it. An updated what you see is what you play (WYSIWYP) toolset allows developers to edit in real time across all three supported platforms. CryENGINE 3 contains numerous updates that developers can take advantage of: destructible environments, cloth simulations, hundreds of light sources, a real time soft particle system, real time dynamic global illumination, motion blur, depth of field, natural lighting, soft shadows, and a whole host of additional features.

We came away quite surprised. The demo we saw was running on the Xbox 360, and honestly, the game looked roughly about as good as Crysis with high quality settings. The environments looked stunning with dynamic light sources coming from every single direction and advanced water effects that reacted to gun fire, explosions, and even incoming rain. We're looking forward to seeing what kinds of games developers build on the console with CryENGINE 3.

Saw that video a while ago, but I dont see any difference really. Not that I noticed it.
The difference seems to be that they've got pretty much all the features of Cryengine 2 running on consoles.

Changes won't be just cosmetic either, I imagine there'll be a lot going on under the hood, making it easier to design complex situations easily.
I hope the consoles don't affect the graphics
Marketing, just ported the engine to consoles and added some final touches...
Heh, noticeable FPS problems in a demo video.
Quote from BigPeBe :Heh, noticeable FPS problems in a demo video.

Yes indeed, specially on the falling tree for Playstation3. It clearly showed the shadow wasn't being correctly rendered and also not real time, and it was very slow and laggy. I think the port to consoles is going to make the game less optimized for PC since they'll need to code it for several platforms.

Quote from Bose321 :I hope the consoles don't affect the graphics

Me too. Taking the consoles alone, I think it will most likely alter the graphics depending on the console. It's clearly noticeable the PS3 looks much better (although slower), and the X360 looks just like low resolution textures and less contrast, and still slower (not as much as the PS3 though). But I do hope they don't change the game quality on PC just because the consoles can't handle it.
Quote from Velociround :
Me too. Taking the consoles alone, I think it will most likely alter the graphics depending on the console. It's clearly noticeable the PS3 looks much better (although slower), and the X360 looks just like low resolution textures and less contrast, and still slower (not as much as the PS3 though). But I do hope they don't change the game quality on PC just because the consoles can't handle it.

Yes, exactly what I mean. It would be cool if it has ATLEAST the same graphics as current Crysis. It would blow my mind if they can make it even look better on pc. But I think they are also making it easier to run on pc's.
Quote from Ovidiu23 :My opinion about this graphic engine: http://img72.imageshack.us/img ... /evolutionofcryengine.jpg

Wow... looking at the CryEngine 3 screenshot, it makes it very obvious how much Crytek removed from the game to make it even laggable on the consoles. It looks terrible. They removed plenty of objects, trees, shadow details etc and put a ridiculous amount of contrast in it. (BTW, please notice the CryEngine 3 screenshot was taken on PS3).

This just shows how much better PC is for gaming than consoles. I REALLY hope Crytek makes a decent PC version of the CryEngine 3, because our computers can handle much more than this shitty graphics, otherwise I refuse getting any other game from Crytek.
Quote from velociround :wow... Looking at the cryengine 3 screenshot, it makes it very obvious how much crytek removed from the game to make it even laggable on the consoles. it looks terrible. They removed plenty of objects, trees, shadow details etc and put a ridiculous amount of contrast in it. (btw, please notice the cryengine 3 screenshot was taken on ps3).

This just shows how much better pc is for gaming than consoles. I really hope crytek makes a decent pc version of the cryengine 3, because our computers can handle much more than this shitty graphics, otherwise i refuse getting any other game from crytek.

amen
I think that there already was a topic about Cryengine3.

Anyways, this was my 500th post
Quote from hazaky :I think that there already was a topic about Cryengine3.

Anyways, this was my 500th post

I searched for it but didn't find any and the auto search didn't bring anything related to this too.
The search tool is fooked up anyways. Dont know, wont work for me neither. Always the same results.

But there was a topic about it - with a lot more informing content that yours has Anyways, u can use the alternate search tool. When making a new topic - when u type in the topic name, it searches for similar named topics and there u will have it
Quote from hazaky :The search tool is fooked up anyways. Dont know, wont work for me neither. Always the same results.

But there was a topic about it - with a lot more informing content that yours has Anyways, u can use the alternate search tool. When making a new topic - when u type in the topic name, it searches for similar named topics and there u will have it

I think I saw that topic, but wasnt it more of a topic about Cryengine 2 and some modifications which were made to it, making it even more sexy?
Quote from jimaxx :I think I saw that topic, but wasnt it more of a topic about Cryengine 2 and some modifications which were made to it, making it even more sexy?

Yea i remember it to aswell, it was comparing 1 special shot of a plant with like the most uber AA/AF to a real shot of a plant or tree.

Crytek's CryEngine 3
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG