The online racing simulator
Nissan Engines
(24 posts, started )
Nissan Engines
Hey people who like Nissans and who know more about them than I do. I have been looking all over the place trying to get answers, but I can't. In a Nissan 240SX/Silvia (S13 and S14), what does KA24E mean? So far, all I got is 24 means 2.4 liter, and E is electronic fuel injection. What does KA stand for?
Try asking on a Nissan owners club forum, more likely to get an answer there.. I had a quick google but couldn't find much.
#5 - CSU1
Quote from GrIp DrIvEr :I am trying to find what the KA stands for. Someone jokingly said it stands for kick ass.

I wonder if Kaiser Engineering Inc has something to do with it, I see Nissan bought Kaiser Jeep years back and from what I can tell Kaiser Engineering Inc seems to be into everything from building planes to truck springs to health plans, also KA is the abbreviation for Kaiser Engineering Inc.

more than likely I'm wrong though
I think KA is just the Engine Model, doubt it means anything in particular.
Quote from CSU1 :I wonder if Kaiser Engineering Inc has something to do with it, I see Nissan bought Kaiser Jeep years back and from what I can tell Kaiser Engineering Inc seems to be into everything from building planes to truck springs to health plans, also KA is the abbreviation for Kaiser Engineering Inc.

more than likely I'm wrong though

I think you might be right. I'll take a deep look into this.
Quote from LineR32 :Why don't you try asking on the forums for www.ka-t.org.

I guess I could, but don't you need to own a Silvia with a KA engine in it before subsrcibing?
Quote from Xaid0n :I think KA is just the Engine Model, doubt it means anything in particular.

That's what I've heard. I also heard that the SR and RB names are just rumors, too. Guess I might need to ask the best people for the answers, Nissan.
hmmm

KA is the tourqe based lump with the SR engines being the high end ( rev range ) based power

imho having driven several s14's the n.a version is wonderful but turbos... Heavenly...

id still buy a s15 though
but afterall my CA18DET pwns them..
LOL J/K
It isn't true about what they say the the RB would stand for Race Breed/Bred. It's just the series of engines iirc. Alteast not Race Bred/Breed
All Nissan engines go like this

1st two letters are engine model (KE CA SR RB)
Numbers is the displacement (24 means 2.4 and so on)
D - DOHC
E - Electronic fuel injection
T - Turbocharger
T - Another turbocharger

except for RBX-GT2 which should have been RB28DETT but it's too awesome to be that

"RB" being "Race Bred" is just a rumour, nothing more.
lol

ditch the KA buy a SR20DET or rb26dett

Quote from MAD3.0LT :lol

ditch the KA buy a SR20DET or rb26dett

uh huh... why? is he going 400+ bhp? I doubt it

and about advising RB series swap, anyone who does that should be submitted to smacking his hand with a hammer for advising the destruction one of a rare and legendary breed of Nissan Skyline GTR
Quote from squidhead :uh huh... why? is he going 400+ bhp? I doubt it

and about advising RB series swap, anyone who does that should be submitted to smacking his hand with a hammer for advising the destruction one of a rare and legendary breed of Nissan Skyline GTR

or an RB30 from the gloria... the skylines forgotten older sister....

x100 times better then the skyline imho
Quote from theirishnoob :or an RB30 from the gloria...

Once again fresh info from you with no facts in it... way to go!
3.0 Cedrics/Glorias were powered by VG and VQ series engines
Better put a RB20DET if u don't want some serious hp under the hood ,and still i6
The KA is a truck motor (small truck nonetheless). Hence the torque-iness compared to the SR. People have had lots of success with making big power with just a KA but I've also heard that it's got harmonic/balancing issues which show up at higher power outputs.
Quote from squidhead :Once again fresh info from you with no facts in it... way to go!
3.0 Cedrics/Glorias were powered by VG and VQ series engines

hmm

ive seen several with 3.0 Rb lumps as they pulled like a skyline, looks like a skyline and handles quite alot like one...

The fundamentals are quite simular.
Quote from theirishnoob :ive seen several with 3.0 Rb lumps as they pulled like a skyline, looks like a skyline and handles quite alot like one..

RB30 couldn't EVER rev like an RB26 due to lack of cast in bracing, and due to some other issues. It also has a slightly higher torque output, but lower HP output even after swapping for a RB25 head. So, no... you can't compare the RB30 and RB26, since they're way too different in their specs and characters. Handling "a lot like a skyline", now Im going to assume we're still talking about the GT-R model, since we're discussing the RB26 engine, and your comparison is a bit less convincing than "clueless" and a bit more convincing than "laughable".
Just for your information, the GTR models came with all wheel steering system called Super Hi-cas which was controlled by a computer depending on the surrounding situation (I.E: high speed driving, cornering, parking, braking) and one of the best despite being one of the earliest (the 959 did it earlier but at greater costs) AWD systems called Attesa ETS, which would allow the car to remain RWD up untill the moment the rear would start to slide, where the FWD would come in. Resulting in pretty much no understeer and great grip under acceleration out of the corner.

Now... The glorias/cedrics were RWD

And now Im going to explain to you what you had said

"A rwd with a V6 3.0 was equipped by a 3.0 low revving I6 which was working like a homologation series smaller displacement, high revving I6. While handling like a car with one of the most sophisticated AWD and AWS vehicles in the world despite being blatantly RWD"

I call a BS on "what you saw", and may I suggest having a quote in your profile stating "warning, my post may not or may not contain actual facts"
Quote from OneCrazyDiamond :The KA is a truck motor (small truck nonetheless). Hence the torque-iness compared to the SR.

That's what I understood as well, KA is the truck motor even though I have it (KA24E) in the old Altima.
Oh for ****s sake
Why does everyone always takes the RB engines first when talking about a swap? There are so many powerfull engines out there besides an RB or an SR...
Quote from Scrabby :Oh for ****s sake
Why does everyone always takes the RB engines first when talking about a swap? There are so many powerfull engines out there besides an RB or an SR...

as much as I hate to agree with you (since pretty much I'd go with an RB series swap if I had an S body Nissan), you're right... an LS1 fits there easily, and it's a torqy and rather light v8, it's a good choice since it doesn't involve ripping an engine out of a Skyline GT-R
from what I read in several tuning forums the new VQ engines have the same if not higher tuning potetial than the RB series, for exemple look at this blog form a guy at Cosworth US They already started using them for real funny car dragsters
Quote from ACCAkut :from what I read in several tuning forums the new VQ engines have the same if not higher tuning potetial than the RB series

I'll be honest with you, It's quite a stretch for me to believe that a VQ would outperform an RB26, not even mentioning RBX after the same type of modifications, whether those are mild, moderate or extreme... I have seen what a RB powered drag spec doorslammer R32 can do on the quarter and it impresses me... each 350z that i've seen being faster than that had to be a full on "funny car"

Nissan Engines
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG