The online racing simulator
it totally depends what you are looking for in a game that determines which, you prefer or which, have the greater merits. Both have their own and unique benefits.
Now, I haven't played iRacing, but from talking to several LFS'ers there are lots of good and bad points. However, I haven't heard about the physics in so much detail. Brilliant write-up in terms of detail and linguistic devices
Quote from richard dk :As in LFS..and all other games...

Yeah, I know. Just talking about iRacing specifically
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Now, I haven't played iRacing, but from talking to several LFS'ers there are lots of good and bad points. However, I haven't heard about the physics in so much detail. Brilliant write-up in terms of detail and linguistic devices

I wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on the physics portion TBH . At least not until we can drive FWD cars w/ locked diffs in iRacing and compare
Quote from anttt69 :
1. 'There are no leagues in iRacing.'

Every car has a league or season as they are called & they run in 6 - 8 week cycles.

2. 'There is no variety of events, championships, or points systems in iRacing.'

There is a season for each car type, the 24hrs du fun, tt rating, irating & the SR measuring system. Yes the variety is limited at the mo but the points systems are good & getting better all the time.

1. Yes, there are iRacing organized series. 12 week cycles. Best 8 weeks scored. But no user organized series and it is very hard to organize getting the same drivers in a race. You have to go through the forum, get all drivers concerned to agree to show up at the same time. Even then, there is no guarantee that you will all end up in the same race as the service decide where to put which entrants. I like racing the same people through the duration of a series. iRacing is all pick up.

2. But only what iRacing offers. Again, no user organized events. This is one of the things that is very cool about LFS. There are as many flavors as the imagination can come up with.
PS, and this is not going to go over well, I would expect...

I think Scawen should start charging for cars.

At first I was very surprised when I payed to get the Mazda and tracks to run a series. Then I started to realize that I am OK with paying for something that has a high perceived value. Seriously, I've wasted 60 bucks on a crap meal at an overrated restaurant in the last 30 days alone.

I think Scawen deserves the dough. And, with me not buying the Scirocco, YOU won't have to worry about me taking it out for the odd curiosity spin, and ruining your race.
LFS is a own game type in my eyes :P its a Simulator, Programming trainer and it keeps you funny and lfs dont gets boring like damn nfs..

the physics are in lfs better in my eyes of course. But u need to think...
Live For Speed ISN'T a finished game... and we can make suggests to the devs and if were enought of the comunity i think they will include/make that what were suggested

I need to say thanks to both Dev teams. but more thanks to LFS because u need to pay once
#35 - SamH
Quote from Slartibartfast :I think Scawen should start charging for cars.

If iRacing lessons in simulation development were McDonalds' fries, content pricing would be that little fold of cardboard at the bottom of the carton.

Of ALL the things that iRacing could conceivably teach Scawen, pricing structures... nuh huh.
Quote from Slartibartfast :PS, and this is not going to go over well, I would expect...

I think Scawen should start charging for cars.

At first I was very surprised when I payed to get the Mazda and tracks to run a series. Then I started to realize that I am OK with paying for something that has a high perceived value. Seriously, I've wasted 60 bucks on a crap meal at an overrated restaurant in the last 30 days alone.

I think Scawen deserves the dough. And, with me not buying the Scirocco, YOU won't have to worry about me taking it out for the odd curiosity spin, and ruining your race.

It's been brought up before, as well as paying for additional tracks. I'd be in favor of it if it meant more high quality content came out faster. But Scavier have said repeatedly that more $ would not speed up the development process. They work at the pace they like and they are not looking to hire anyone else.
Nice thread some nice unbiased info, ty.

Quote from anttt69 :
There is a free demo here:
http://www.radicalsportscars.com/

In order to recieve a months "limited free trial" you need to give payment/credit card details.
You then need to cancel this agreement before your month is up to avoid paying for the next month.
I have a real dislike for companys that do that kind of thing, almost a scam!

until a completely free demo is available I won't be trying iracing anytime soon, just too iexpensive, and unlike Shadowww I dont use illigal or cracked software (you sir, should be NLW)

SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :and unlike Shadowww I dont use illigal or cracked software (you sir, should be NLW)

WinRAR, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, anything licensed?
Quote from FlintFredstone :
but thats not my main gripe, its the sound, after 3 months i still get no feedback from the sound, infact i would say i get negative feedback, only the engine tone is of any use, there is essentially no difference to the tyre sounds for underbraking, overbraking, optimal sliding (front or rear) and over the limit sliding, ive learned to use visual cues and grinding the physical actions into my brain needed to maintain control.

Now this I just can't understand. Are you using headphones or speakers? IMO headphones are essential (unless you have really good speakers) for simracing. There's so much info! With the Solstice (which is the only car I'm really familiar with) I can tell precisely how close I am to locking up my brakes, and how close I am to exceeding the optimal slip angle, based on sound alone. I do agree that the sound (and force feedback, for that matter) with the Skippy is kinda weird when you're sliding excessively, but that's my only gripe so far. IMO, iRacing > LFS >>>>> nKP in terms of tire sounds.
Quote from Gnomie :Now this I just can't understand. Are you using headphones or speakers? IMO headphones are essential (unless you have really good speakers) for simracing. There's so much info! With the Solstice (which is the only car I'm really familiar with) I can tell precisely how close I am to locking up my brakes, and how close I am to exceeding the optimal slip angle, based on sound alone. I do agree that the sound (and force feedback, for that matter) with the Skippy is kinda weird when you're sliding excessively, but that's my only gripe so far. IMO, iRacing > LFS >>>>> nKP in terms of tire sounds.

Indeed, I would agree to this. I think LFS has a very good model for tire sounds, but LFSs model is so much more simplistic in terms of presentation that it might seem more 'obvious'. I would tend to class them around the same in this area of comparison overall.

What I can't stop shaking my head over is the assertion that iRacing has serious physics issues. I'm starting to think that LFS bogus setup options are really starting to skew some people's pereptions of what realistic responses are and are not. I would wager that a very small fraction of competitive drivers in LFS use setups that are anywhere near what would be acheiveable (or desireable!) in a comparable vehicle in real life(tm).

I have zero problems getting the radical to step out in slower turns (quite the opposite, although the *default setup* is understeer city), but it has a ton of mechanical grip and once you overcome it you'd better be on your toes. I also have no issues, rather literally, drifting the Star Mazda around slower turns (and faster ones, but that's not usually intentional :razz. I *most certainly* cannot turn in the air, and I get caught braking too late at the top of the hill at Leguna more often that I'd care to share as well. I also get caught turning in to much at the bottom of the screw for the same reason.

It's probably not possible to give a remotely fair "comparison" if all you play is generally LFS, unless you're going to try iRacing for at the minimum a few weeks every day. LFS does some horrible things to your brain when you're used to la-la land setups. That's not the fault (entirely) of the tire model, but the allowance for stupid setups that exploit the shortcomings that ARE there, which probably are not all that severe without being amplified in said manner.

LFS is more convenient
LFS is a small fraction of the cost
LFS currently has more diversity of vehicles

LFS it's the best sim for what you pay, bar none. There isn't even a close second.

Likewise, iRacing's vehicle dynamics, graphics, tracks, and sound are quite a lot better than anything available, including LFS.

Both sims have glaring, frustrating shortcomings in some of the same, and some different areas, that's for certain.

Too bad the OP has the controller issues he's experiencing, I'm really thankful that I don't have those issues as it would ruin any sim for me.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :What I can't stop shaking my head over is the assertion that iRacing has serious physics issues. I'm starting to think that LFS bogus setup options are really starting to skew some people's pereptions of what realistic responses are and are not. I would wager that a very small fraction of competitive drivers in LFS use setups that are anywhere near what would be acheiveable (or desireable!) in a comparable vehicle in real life(tm).

I agree. I blame the OP's braking issues on this as well. One of my biggest pet peeves with LFS is how low people set their braking strength so they can just slam on the brakes and not lock up the wheels. In iRacing, this is not the case. It does seem a little bit too easy to lock up the brakes to me, but I have never driven a race car so I really can't judge. From the couple of times I have done some real karting, I know that it is very easy to spin youself by slamming on the brakes, so I am led to believe iRacing isn't that far off. Personally, I love the braking in iRacing. Nailing a tough braking zone in iRacing is just a great feeling, something I don't often get in LFS. In LFS its more of "slam on brakes here, release brakes here".

Now that isn't saying that setups in iRacing are perfect either. I'm sure they have their flaws as well, I didn't get too far into the setups during my month trial though, so I wouldn't know what they are.

I think the thing is, the only racing the majority of us do is sim racing, so its pretty tough to judge what's actually realistic or not. The only thing we have to go by are the other sims we play, and if you play one long enough, it just feels "right".
One thing I always wonder about in teh int4rwebs: people being proud of not being able to concentrate long enough to read something that translates to be 2-3 pages of A4 format. AQs if tltr (too long to read) is some kind of medal they award to themselves for suffering ADD...
Now richo, don't get me wrong. I do assume you read completely it and merely summarized it as a service for said ADD crowd. It's just something general I wonder about and nothing aimed at you personally.

Yes i did read the entire post as i have both LFS and iRacing , but seriously was the conclusion ever in doubt as to the OP's taste in sims considering where it was posted?

As to the ADD crowd, well no amount of words will tell you how anything feels until you try it for yourself and why should anyone spend the time persuading you of a choice on way or the other?

That's why it is so much simpler to just state I like LFS it doesnt matter why you like it better as its entirely subjective.

As it turns out i do like LFS better than all the other sims but thats my personal preference and nobody needs to or wants to know that.

FECK! nearly did my own WALL OF TEXT!!!!
Quote from richo :[Q]One thing I always wonder about in teh int4rwebs: people being proud of not being able to concentrate long enough to read something that translates to be 2-3 pages of A4 format. AQs if tltr (too long to read) is some kind of medal they award to themselves for suffering ADD...
Now richo, don't get me wrong. I do assume you read completely it and merely summarized it as a service for said ADD crowd. It's just something general I wonder about and nothing aimed at you personally.[\Q]

Yes i did read the entire post as i have both LFS and iRacing , but seriously was the conclusion ever in doubt as to the OP's taste in sims considering where it was posted?

As to the ADD crowd, well no amount of words will tell you how anything feels until you try it for yourself and why should anyone spend the time persuading you of a choice on way or the other?

That's why it is so much simpler to just state I like LFS it doesnt matter why you like it better as its entirely subjective.

As it turns out i do like LFS better than all the other sims but thats my personal preference and nobody needs to or wants to know that.

FECK! nearly did my own WALL OF TEXT!!!!

tl;dr
dr
cbf
#47 - SamH
Could you stop the spam please? It's bad enough with the little kids doing it, but when the "senior" lot are spamming it makes it bloody difficult to convince the squids it's not acceptable.

Someone showed me a Youtube vid a week or so ago, of several laps around Laguna Seca in a Radical (IIRC.. not very familiar with the cars). The driver swung the steering wheel from TDC to full lock left and right, as quick as possible, and made it comfortably all the way around the track without a problem, for about 8 minutes straight. I can't find the video now, but being perfectly frank, it didn't look good.
Quote from SamH :"senior"

:geezer:

Quote :Someone showed me a Youtube vid a week or so ago, of several laps around Laguna Seca in a Radical (IIRC.. not very familiar with the cars). The driver swung the steering wheel from TDC to full lock left and right, as quick as possible, and made it comfortably all the way around the track without a problem, for about 8 minutes straight. I can't find the video now, but being perfectly frank, it didn't look good.

You sure that wasn't an in-car vid of Tristan?
LFS should be free and then you get charged. 0.01p per crash, they could retire and reverse the credit crunch in about 6 days.
As for Iracing as much as I'm a fan of the godfather of sim racing I feel no compulsion to subscribe ATM.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo : I *most certainly* cannot turn in the air, and I get caught braking too late at the top of the hill at Leguna more often that I'd care to share as well. I also get caught turning in to much at the bottom of the screw for the same reason.

Braking too late there is easy. And the physics are not completely dumb. Just too forgiving to be real. After I used DXTweak, the braking got much better. After I installed the rubber stopper, I realized that even with DXT I was still over braking. The car slowed much more quickly when I wasn't locking up slightly, which I was completely unaware I was doing, in race or replay. I'm now flat in the Solstice exiting the screw. Just turn the wheel and off I go.

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :It's probably not possible to give a remotely fair "comparison" if all you play is generally LFS, unless you're going to try iRacing for at the minimum a few weeks every day.

Check my stats. Mark Jeangerard. After 100 some odd laps in the Mazda at VIR Grand West, I am now past survival mode and starting to work the corners. One by one. I *think* I'll be ready for the upcoming race.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG