The online racing simulator
Too shiny ???
(22 posts, started )
Too shiny ???
Would it be possible to be able to set the shinig level of some parts of the car or some areas. I mean, Stickers on our skins are not very realistic because of the shining level that is the same as the car... Or, another exemple, For carbon look on wings or roof, same problem, too shiny !!!

I don't know exactly how the background works and I'm sur that it's something very hard to do but if it works one day, I think that Lfs will have the greatest skins ever
Quote from Roudoudou :Would it be possible to be able to set the shinig level of some parts of the car or some areas. I mean, Stickers on our skins are not very realistic because of the shining level that is the same as the car... Or, another exemple, For carbon look on wings or roof, same problem, too shiny !!!

I don't know exactly how the background works and I'm sur that it's something very hard to do but if it works one day, I think that Lfs will have the greatest skins ever

Well, you can download some Reflection mod in www.lfs-database.com
#3 - CSU1
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Well, you can download some Reflection mod in www.lfs-database.com

did u even read his post?

@ Roudoudou: the stickers and carbon you place in skins aren't reall the real thing, there just representations of what carbon looks like in paint format.

If you where to stop light reflecting from 'stickers' and 'carbon' LFS would need to deal with new materials and the location of these material on the model which would be a nice addition to the current skinning method I agree....but as for now it's not supported yet....stop playinng so much Forza

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

Edit: ^^ wtf is that shite???^^
It would be nice if we could use the Alphachannel of the .dds files, then it would be no problem. But atm it has no effect at all, reflection rate is controlled from the graphic engine itself, not from the texture.
Now that the skins have gone over to .dds format, there's the possibility of allowing extra information in an alpha channel, which might help with assigning the shininess level of different parts of the skin.

+1 though. It would be more work for skinners, but it would pay off.
It worked back then in FS2002 and FS2004, so why not
#7 - Gunn
I won't mind if it never happens, but being able to skin an area of the skin in a matt (non glossy) texture or colour would be fantastic and open up all sorts of possibilities for shading and texturing in LFS. So a huge + 23 gazillion from me.
+ 1 (trillion) here, be great for rally X and touring car skins being able to do matt mud and dirt, brake dust, etc. realistically without the gloss.
#9 - wark
Doesn't CF usually have a full-gloss finish, anyway? either way, the problem with CF is really the hologram effect... I digress, this feature would be impossible to implement as long as LFS uses jpegs for skins.
Quote from ACCAkut :It worked back then in FS2002 and FS2004, so why not

Yup, alpha channels are a very simple way to do it, why not do bump mapping while they are at it?.

Thinking about it, maybe its the DX7 nature of the engine that might be the reason why we dont have it
#11 - Gunn
Quote from wark :Doesn't CF usually have a full-gloss finish, anyway?

Not like the gloss of car paint (unless it has been coated with some sort of gloss).
#12 - Jakg
Quote from danowat :Yup, alpha channels are a very simple way to do it, why not do bump mapping while they are at it?.

Thinking about it, maybe its the DX7 nature of the engine that might be the reason why we dont have it

It's DX8, afaik (or is it 8.1?)
i would like metalic/glitter effects on cars but allso you have to think about the fact that the game its self its brilliant as it is

but yes it would be nice ^
#14 - wark
Quote from Gunn :Not like the gloss of car paint (unless it has been coated with some sort of gloss).

That's what I said; it's usually (there are of course exceptions) coated to match the rest of the car's gloss.

It's rare that you can actually feel the texture of the weave--and I imagine it's more vulnerable to sun damage that way.
So ? maybe in S3 ??
It works on DX8 (like in the Flightsim), so it would be possible to add it to the current engine, but it would still be a load of work for the Devs I guess.
If there were particle-polygon collisions, then it would be completely possible IMO to have rubber, dirt, and gravel collect on the car.
Gunn my CF bike is glossy but that is painted over with a clear coat. i think racing car parts would be painted over because i think you really don't want to have the weave on the spoiler messing around with the aerodynamics. That's not a problem, as it was said, a bigger problem is the hologram effect. I could make some pics of my frame.
#19 - 5tag
I have a different suggestion for future patches, though I did not want to start an extra thread for it.

I would like to see no reflexions being applied to the rims just like the tyres for example. People often tell LFS is a racing simulator not a drift simulator but I think it should not be a showroom sim either.

I would very much more like to see different "amounts" of reflexion, like the windows staying as are, the rest of the cars have little less reflexion and rims have very little but I think the current graphics engine know no other values for it than "1" and "0". So maybe we will be suprised by some thing of this sort as soon as the engine will be eventually updated but until then I would like to have rims without reflexions, it just looks more realistic to me (as showed in CMX Viewer).
Yeah, as like I already said in the other thread (which was suggesting for using the alphas to create sunroofs etc.).
I think that it could be a good if it would be possible to adjust the "shiny-level" of skin / parts of it by just simply "painting" an alpha channel to it. Of course with some restrictions so chrome cars wouldn't be possible.
#21 - 5tag
I know these kind of suggestions and I also fully agree with them but they may require major updates of the engine.
What I wanted to suggest was just a little graphic change in upcoming versions of the nearer future.
I would love to have a black-matt xrg

Too shiny ???
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG