The online racing simulator
Car buying advice
(109 posts, started )
You can get (and probably already know about) little plug in dongles that allow the radio to pick up European radio stations. Only a few, err, pounds/euros/DM/Pf.

I think the display still shows the wrong frequencies, but the actual frequency used works...

Or something. I just replaced the headunit on mine to allow MP3/USB goodness.
Mid-90s Nissans could be a good deal. Round here there's a '94 Skyline GTS Turbo up for under 3k (and that'll shift). '95 S14 would do the job, but a couple of grand more expensive.

I'd be tempted to go with the BMW option, although people would just assume you were an asshat
Passat V6 4wd Buy a raceabout
Bloody hell Shotty, that took nearly 5 months, what you do, give birth to it ?

Almost a hint of irony there, what with your sig and all.

Oh, and congrats. Funky little motor you got there
Quote from tristancliffe :and probably already know about

actually i dont

Quote :little plug in dongles that allow the radio to pick up European radio stations. Only a few, err, pounds/euros/DM/Pf.

I think the display still shows the wrong frequencies, but the actual frequency used works...

dont think that would work since i guess the radio would still work in .2 increments which isnt good enough for germany

Quote :Or something. I just replaced the headunit on mine to allow MP3/USB goodness.

yeah ill have to see how i can get it out first and if its a standard double din slot... otherwise ill be in trouble

one option ive thought about is taking it apart and finding some guy at work who knows how to read out disassemble and figure out what the code does on the controller of the radio so i could reprogram it for german frequencies

Quote from Dajmin :...

tiny bit of non car buying related advice
it always helpd to read the tail of a thread

Quote from Mazz4200 :Bloody hell Shotty, that took nearly 5 months, what you do, give birth to it ?

kinda... you have no idea how hard it is to find an mr2 in that kind of condition in germany
this was litteraly the first good mr2 i could find

Quote :Almost a hint of irony there, what with your sig and all.

touche
You will be able to get something to allow single DIN units to fit, which will also give you a cubby hole to keep things in below it (or a clock). I'd also recommend getting a cubby box with a lid - otherwise you'll find change and pens flying everywhere when you press the loud pedal!!!
Buy a Scirocco
#84 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :You will be able to get something to allow single DIN units to fit, which will also give you a cubby hole to keep things in below it (or a clock). I'd also recommend getting a cubby box with a lid - otherwise you'll find change and pens flying everywhere when you press the loud pedal!!!

You can get an ordinary one for about £7 from eBay - a replacement head-unit such as mine can be had for £30 second hand, or you could pick up an OEM double-din unit from another car for about £30 (which wont look as flashy).
Quote from tristancliffe :You will be able to get something to allow single DIN units to fit

wasnt sure if its even a din slot but it seems like standard radios fit

Quote :which will also give you a cubby hole to keep things in below it (or a clock). I'd also recommend getting a cubby box with a lid - otherwise you'll find change and pens flying everywhere when you press the loud pedal!!!

i was cinsidering using the space for a oil temp and pressure gauge just to be sure the engine wont die on me

which leads me to a far more imminent decision... does any company still prduce radios that dont look like shite?
No. Not any more.

You either go for something that looks like it plays 8 track cassettes, or you have something that looks like you've got LEDs instead of a brain.
#87 - Jakg
Yes they do - you just have to get an OEM unit from another car (eBay is the easy route).

I've got double-din casette clarion you can have if you want :P

EDIT - I was in the same position when I was looking to swap out mine - and the only things I found were the Subaru OEM ones which look ok, but they are covered with Subaru branding )

EDIT #2 - Vauxhall standard double-DIN unit? Same stuff comes from Omegas / Vectras, too.
Quote from Shotglass :i was cinsidering using the space for a oil temp and pressure gauge just to be sure the engine wont die on me

It's a Toyota, probably the brand to least worry about the engine dying on ya.
Becker sells some models that don't make your eyes bleed.

Unfortunately they are quite expensive
Quote from Shotglass :So... I've just recently started working at my first proper job, am looking for a place to live to finally move out (yay) and obviously its about time to buy me own car.

The problem is my requirements are rather hard to meet and I'm not at all interested in the badge, as long as it doesn't mean the car will spend most of its life in the workshop (that's that for the Integrale I always wanted then), so I 'm confused what to look for.

Anyway what I'd want in a car is:
- quick
- RWD (or at least not FWD)
- petrol
- useable on the Autobahn
- cheap (less than 10k)
- reliable
- good or at least bearable mileage
- shouldn't be completely useless for a trip to the supermarket
- Euro 2+

So far I've mostly been looking at early 90s japanese coupes but I hope you guys can come up with a few cars I haven't considered yet.

hmmm

530d...

seats 5 comfortably straight chip to 300+ hp... deisel also and considering petrols 1.05 cent a liter...

do your bit for the envoirment... while driving sideways...
#91 - senn
Quote from Shotglass :dont worry i will
ill have do the paperwork to register it in germany first though (still has italian paperwork)

its the second revision with wider rear tyres so it shouldnt bite too hard
the relatively new bridgestone potenza (yeah its a ridiculous name) tyres have quite a bit of grip so pushing it past its limits should be an interesting esperience

luckily except for the alarm and some mobile phone holder on the passenger side the car is completely unmodified (including the us radio which is useless as it only pics up fm frequencies with odd decimal places)

take it to a track day and find it's limits, unfortunately many MR2's have been destroyed going into trees etc. Don't let the grip fool you, they are snappy at the limit. (at least in standard trim)
Quote from theirishnoob :hmmm

530d...

seats 5 comfortably straight chip to 300+ hp... deisel also and considering petrols 1.05 cent a liter...

He said he wanted petrol, lol.

And on another note, diesel and petrol engines are each polluting. All in all, neither is better than the other part.
Quote from Mikkel Petersen :He said he wanted petrol, lol.

And on another note, diesel and petrol engines are each polluting. All in all, neither is better than the other part.

well, to be fair diesel 9 times out of 10 gets you further then petrol so its better for the environment
Quote from theirishnoob :well, to be fair diesel 9 times out of 10 gets you further then petrol so its better for the environment

Diesel emits far more NOx and soot particles. Petrol just emits slightly more CO2. NOx and soot are proven bad, they cause smog and air pollution. CO2 is claimed to be bad by an idiot whose household consumes 20 times more electricity than the average household and flies a private jet all over the world to tell you about using less energy.

But what's the point anyway. If you want a slightly less polluting car, don't buy a fast car.
Quote from kingfag :Diesel emits far more NOx and soot particles. Petrol just emits slightly more CO2. NOx and soot are proven bad, they cause smog and air pollution. CO2 is claimed to be bad by an idiot whose household consumes 20 times more electricity than the average household and flies a private jet all over the world to tell you about using less energy.

But what's the point anyway. If you want a slightly less polluting car, don't buy a fast car.

theirishnoob, his name says it all.
Quote from kingfag :Diesel emits far more NOx and soot particles. Petrol just emits slightly more CO2. NOx and soot are proven bad, they cause smog and air pollution. CO2 is claimed to be bad by an idiot whose household consumes 20 times more electricity than the average household and flies a private jet all over the world to tell you about using less energy.

i know this from a study i seen where it showed that deisel buses for example where proven to give cyclists ( who commute to city and home daily ) serious health risks over the span of several years.

But haven said that...

If your going to rag your car around all day - buy a japanese petrol.

if you want a relyable performer, subtle and smart - buy german.

if you wnt a great driving car and have no worrys about repair costs - buy italian

if you want a peice of sh1t - buy american.

Quite simple really, though the fact that i have to explain all this astounds me...

just Never and i repeat Never buy french...

Quote from Mikkel Petersen :theirishnoob, his name says it all.

you see, theirs no hair on my nuts are their made of steel... whats your excuse ??
Quote from theirishnoob :i know this from a study i seen where it showed that deisel buses for example where proven to give cyclists ( who commute to city and home daily ) serious health risks over the span of several years.

Quote from theirishnoob :blablabla

Can you decide, please?

Quote from theirishnoob :you see, theirs no hair on my nuts are their made of steel... whats your excuse ??

What's your point?
allright then finally got around to making some semi proper pics

heres me little binge drinker

and thanks a lot again to all those who helped me decide
Attached images
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
Aww cool, A SW20!! Can't go wrong with that man. Handles great, won't use THAT much fuel, and it's Japanese

My daily will be an MX5 or an MR2

Car buying advice
(109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG