The online racing simulator
Garrrr iRacing!
(36 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Garrrr iRacing!
Was in Tesco's the other day (i was on lunch and I was so hungry i was starting to feel faint!) and my card got declined - was quite pissed as I had no cash on me at all, and i tried a cashpoint and it got declined again - No way of getting any other food and just had to carry on and race over to the GF's where she had a Pizza ready to stabilize me.

Car is low on fuel, and i'm hungry but again if my card (which has _ALL_ my money in there) doesn't work I just have to run on fumes. Finally i'm able to contact my bank today - I get a letter in the post saying my card "has been stopped due to unusual activity" - I ring up and geuss what's wrong.

Someone called "iRacing" has tried to take money out of my account and this seems very very dodgy according to Alliance & Leicesters fraud department - So they stopped my card.

The even better thing is that I still passed their "authorisation check" even though when they tried to take the $1.00 from my bank account my bank told them to fu- go away.

There ya go kids, iRacing will make you feel faint, starve ya and then make you borrow money from your parents - even if you don't use it!

I can tell you now LFS has never EVER done this to me - LFS ftw!
+1 Actually i didnt read the text
To paraphrase Samuel Jackson's famous line, "Terms and conditions, my fine fellow. Do you read them?"
#4 - Jakg
...and?

I just don't get why iR has this weird authorisation procedure - if even when it's declined you still get through...
#6 - Bean0
Is this one of those stupid "We'll give/take a few pence, input the value in this box on our website" type things ?
Quote from Jakg :I just don't get why iR has this weird authorisation procedure - if even when it's declined you still get through...

Obviously your bank said "yes the card exists - yes it's that name - but you can't have money from it so **** off" instead of just "**** off".
When I got a large amount of money in my bank all in one go, I went a tad nuts on spending (). Thank bank did the same due to unusual activity.

Even when a friend of mine first purchased something from Steam, they blocked her card too because it was unusual.

I'll be very grateful when they actually block it and it was genuine, for now its a pain in the arse hehe.
Sent around £500 from Paypal to bank

That was also "Unusual activity" to Halifax, so the account was shut. F*ckers.
i went to london last year and, despite having used my capital one card to book the hotel 2 months earlier with the usual authorisation bit on the web site, when i got there and tried to check in capital one blocked the transaction as it was an unusual location. i couldn't be bothered phoning them till i got home so i used my debit card but the strange thing was that on 3 seperate occasions whilst in london i spent larger amounts on the capital one card, expecting trouble, and they went through without any questions !
I agree with Jack on this, your bank will be stupid and decline whenever they decide. They declined a payment for another game, and when they were re-issueing it, they did it like 3 or 4 times so I ended up £178.50 overdrawn, this was when I was like 14.

I had no appologies from the Bank and yeah. You are supposed to tell them when you go on Holiday so they don't cancel your card, but did you know it's COMPLETELY AUTOMATED and doing that achieves NOTHING?
Alright. What I'd like to know, instead of knowing why the bank shut your accounts when you were young is,
that does this iRacing promo thingy work for the rest, outside of UK, with the costs staying at $1.00?
It'll be $1 converted into whatever the local currency is, plus some commision from the CC people of course.
Should rename this thread to "Garrrrr stupid bank!"
You're also talking about those "free trials".. my paid iRacing never did that to me. It does that for free trails to check if the bank card actually exists.

So it's not iRacings fault, its you for being cheap and wanting to try out the cheap stuff.
Not everyone has pockets to just throw out a dollar here and there you know Are other ways to do it than what happend with Jakq.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :So it's not iRacings fault, its you for being cheap and wanting to try out the cheap stuff.

Can't speak for Jack, but I was considering buying a Radical and that $1 charge put me off.
Yepp, as you say, the value itself means really nothing, it's not like the end of the world amount we're speaking, but the reason for it or.. well ffs I canot say this the right way, it's just that little drop of water that causes the water in the glass to run over the boarders. When you allready pay the amount for Iracing, that is a pretty big amount allready, why should they even need to squeeze us for even more? 1 dollar ain't much, but it's principle. It's not ok in my opinion, not, as mentioned before the people playing it allready digs deep enough in their pockets.

Looks more and more like it's all about the money, and the game is their way to hide it. (and I am not saying the game is bad, just their attitute).
Quote from The Very End :Looks more and more like it's all about the money, and the game is their way to hide it.

But that's an old trick employed by the computer game industry! Surely no one would fall for it in our time and age!

Anyway - the free trial thing is a marketing gimmick sponsored by Radical, not by iRacing. And as far as I saw there is no actual charge that isn't automatically reimbursed. So it's not like they're slowly building an empire out of $1 bills.
Hehe, of course, a company needs to get money to survive, and there is no doubt that this often affects the game itself, or the service around it.

But there are different attitutes from different companies aswell, some companies just seem to love their game more than others, and really does what they can to make it good. Remember this game "Crashday", one of the developers keeped hugging the forum for years after it was released, alltho he and the other has moved on to other projects, simply because he felt the game as "a little part of myself" .
Again, maybe it's wrong of me comparing developers with the overall company, but I'll rest my case, some companies don't allways think of maximum credit (again, not saying they don't think about profit) when they making something.

Damn, wish I had english as mother tounge, would argument better then
I get what you mean. From what I saw the iRacing kids are pretty dedicated and as far as the money thing goes: I'm very curious as to how exactly they go about with their funding, the stats on their active playerbase aren't that impressive and their costs are (reportedly) quite high. So there has to be money coming in from some other direction than just subscriptions.
Probally sponsors and such.
But I guess it's hard to find a balance there. If they had lowered the various prices they would get a bigger userbase, but when they lower the price they'll need more subsribtions to cover the loss by reducing the incomme per custommer, and it's not sure they would gain enough subrscribtions to raise the incomme at all.

Even if it claims to be a tool to learn the basics about racing, I don't think it justifies the price, but thats just me probally. If I were a real life racer I most likely would think the price was bearable for a tool to train.

But who knows, still, a dollar here and a dollar there, it gets some dollar too much in the longer run.
Quote from xaotik :I get what you mean. From what I saw the iRacing kids are pretty dedicated and as far as the money thing goes: I'm very curious as to how exactly they go about with their funding, the stats on their active playerbase aren't that impressive and their costs are (reportedly) quite high. So there has to be money coming in from some other direction than just subscriptions.

They have one of the owners of the Boston Red Sox for funding...

Also TVE, If I understand how it works, that 1$ gets reimbursed, it's just simply to verify if your Credit card is a valid one.
#24 - Jakg
It just seems to make no sense that even when my bank said "no, **** off, you aren't getting his money", iR "accepted" me even though they had no way of taking any more $ from me - but had i not of had a card I wouldn't of been accepted...?
The bank probably blocked your card rather than the transaction itself. My mum had over £1k of computer hardware bought when her card details got stolen and they never blocked the transaction itself; they block the card after a 'suspicious transaction'. Long story short: iRacing probably saw nothing unusual with their check.

Garrrr iRacing!
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG