The online racing simulator
CryEngine 2 screenshots
(43 posts, started )
#26 - VoiD
No Windows needed, just pure DOS
To be perfectly honest, many people are spending thousands on making their computers run Crysis. Bringing out an even higher detail engine?, what will it take to run that.
Quote from (SaM) :This thread has gone amazingly quiet after Velociround's post.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4688/crysismodlfsforum.jpg

lol

Quote from Crashgate3 :I rememeber years ago when I saw the first screenshots of IndyCar Racing thinking 'wow, that looks just like a photo!'

That sounds familiar Back in 1997, when I was playing Destruction Derby 2, I remember of thinking many times "wow, this game is amazing, look at the damage, it looks so real!"

Then when I bought my first graphics card, a Stealth III 32MB, just for playing "Driver: You are the wheelman" when it released, I was just like "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! THERE'S 3D VIEW! We can just stop time on the replay and look 3D around the car! Wow, look at these details, the city is soo big, there are so many different cars and stores in the city and the reflections and lighting effects are simply fantastic! This game is pure amazingness"

Now we have... well... this (OP).
^thats how i felt when i saw water reflections for first time with my nvidia 7100!!
Quote from DodgeRacer :Then again I thought the story in Far Cry I was great so ... judge away

Far Cry was pretty tongue-in-cheek though, with all the jokes about his Hawaiian shirt, and some of the mercenary dialogue. And I think they deliberately modeled the mercs and their vehicles to look like more like action figures than reality. And I liked that, I thought it was quite novel.

I liked the mutant monkeys, I thought they were a nice change of pace in the level they were introduced, but unfortunately from there it was a slippery slope to giant supermen with rocket launchers instead of arms who can take a truck to the face and not die, and of course the inevitable 3 million metric arseloads of lava.

When a game resorts to lava you know they've run out of ideas. Far Cry went: Sunshine -> Dark -> Rainy -> Stormy -> Lava.

Lava is the worst weather you can get on a computer.
so, is there a purpose or story line to this game? Otherwise, I don't see anyone's computer running that game without having tons of lag. Cool though. Thanks for the pictures!

Quote: I'm going to Gold Camp Raod which is 30 miles away from me at night to scare the living s*** out of me.
THIS is the engine used for Crysis,Crysis Warhead & Crysis Wars for those who think it's not released yet.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Far Cry was pretty tongue-in-cheek though, with all the jokes about his Hawaiian shirt, and some of the mercenary dialogue. And I think they deliberately modeled the mercs and their vehicles to look like more like action figures than reality. And I liked that, I thought it was quite novel.

I liked the mutant monkeys, I thought they were a nice change of pace in the level they were introduced, but unfortunately from there it was a slippery slope to giant supermen with rocket launchers instead of arms who can take a truck to the face and not die, and of course the inevitable 3 million metric arseloads of lava.

When a game resorts to lava you know they've run out of ideas. Far Cry went: Sunshine -> Dark -> Rainy -> Stormy -> Lava.

Lava is the worst weather you can get on a computer.

Completely true there.

Tbh, comparing FC1 and FC2, I think FC1 would have been much better if it stayed somewhat real, as FC2 has (so far). I.E that means no mutant monkeys. I really liked FC1 for the first few hours of gameplay, when you were navigating the islands in the beautiful sunshine. It was like genuinely pretty. Although I'll admit when it's darker it tends to give more sense of fear, tension and the like, it was a bit too dark for too much of the game, IMO.

His Hawaiian shirt running gag was just a bit :doh: by the end.
Quote from chavm481 :^thats how i felt when i saw water reflections for first time with my nvidia 7100!!

Personally, my jaw dropped down for the first time when I installed a SoundBlaster16 into my Win 3.1 rig, playing Hexen, experiencing 3D audio effects !! I could hear where the enemy was !! Wow !
Quote from Crashgate3 :I rememeber years ago when I saw the first screenshots of IndyCar Racing thinking 'wow, that looks just like a photo!'

Just for comparison, this is that game:

Me too. I saw it on telly (somehow), and I thought, "this is it, we've reached the stage where computer graphics look real". I think it was just the first game I'd seen with texture mapped 3D, but still

So this is not an official release of the next generation of the Crytek engine, it's just a tweak of the existing one? Looks feckin amazing nonetheless

Some moving shots here:
http://www.cryengine2.com/

Five years I reckon, before we have completely destructable, photo-realistic environments. And once the graphics reach that point, the games will really start...
#36 - Juls
All this is good for us. To sell more games, developpers compete together to get the nicest graphics. To sell more cards, computers, hardware companies compete together to make more powerful cards, processors.

To enjoy it, geeks invest a lot for games and hardware and keep this innovation engine fuelled.

And us, average customers, we buy from time to time games and hardware two years later, for 1/4th the price geek paid for it, and enjoy massive improvement year after year. Whatever shiny, brilliant, realistic graphics one can see, one just have to wait two or three years to have it at home.

Geeks and their fortunate parents diserve a monument.

Just for comparison, this is that game:

It DOES look like a photo, if you squint a bit... more. The colors are correct anyway.

Quote from Ripley :Personally, my jaw dropped down for the first time when I installed a SoundBlaster16 into my Win 3.1 rig, playing Hexen, experiencing 3D audio effects !! I could hear where the enemy was !! Wow !

It'd be the TIE Fighter's cannons for me. They sounded so authentic.
what!? This is from crysis& crysis warhead? I though this is going to be in new crysis or something. wth
#40 - Vain
Most people apparently got the number 2 in the linked article wrong. This isn't about Crysis 2, it's about CryEngine2, the engine used in Crisis and Crisis:Warhead.

Wisdom!

Vain
Quote from Vain :Most people apparently got the number 2 in the linked article wrong. This isn't about Crysis 2, it's about CryEngine2, the engine used in Crisis and Crisis:Warhead.

Wisdom!

Vain

yea i know but didnt remember if it was cryengine 2
my computer just passed out
Quote from CobraDrifter :THIS is the engine used for Crysis,Crysis Warhead & Crysis Wars for those who think it's not released yet.

Quote from Tomba(FIN) :what!? This is from crysis& crysis warhead? I though this is going to be in new crysis or something. wth

Quote from Vain :This isn't about Crysis 2, it's about CryEngine2, the engine used in Crisis and Crisis:Warhead.

Quote from Tomba(FIN) :yea i know but didnt remember if it was cryengine 2

Quote from Velociround :These are Crysis mods, that means people edited the Crysis time of day files [...] to get a better and more realistic look. They are not renders, they are really in-game. And they can be run by any computer that can handle Crysis or Crysis Warhead graphics, because these pictures were taken from the exact same game, thus same engine. Most of them seem to be taken from Crysis (not Warhead) though.

@ Vain: by the way, it's Crysis

CryEngine 2 screenshots
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG