The online racing simulator
Search Tool Downgraded?
(24 posts, started )
Search Tool Downgraded?
Is it me or has the "Advanced Search" tool been downgraded so you can only select keywords and usernames? There used to be more options, but now they're gone.

Any info?
#2 - Bean0
I don't think it has changed, the Tag Search is fairly new though.
Sorry for a little bump, but the "new?" search system annoys me too. Whatever i type into searchbox ... i always get the same topics
Ah yes I meant to reply to this again. The advanced search option used to give you an option to select whether to view posts or topics, but you can't do that any more.
Am i missing somthing becuase i just got up
Attached images
Forum.JPG
Quote from Racer325 :Am i missing somthing becuase i just got up

That doesn't load for me... Maybe it's a Firefox issue

Yup, works perfectly in IE.
Attached images
searchfail.jpg
searchwin.jpg
I think it's a user issue - click on the far right of the "search options" titlebar, on the wee double arrows pointing downwards.
OH MY GOD. :slap:

Thanks xaotic.
Hehe i was using firefox also
related to the title of this thread - the search has actually improved since some days ago. Use of search operators like AND, OR and NOT are now possible while they weren't before. Should make searches more precise.

Note : AND is assumed when searching for more than one word without any operators.
Eg. a search for "fxo bl1r" assumes "fxo AND bl1r".
Speaking of improvements: is there any possibility to have quoted searches for phrases? I often resort to google searches just for that (luckily the forum has been indexed quite well by google).
hm, isn't it already?
I just tried two searches :

"more precise"
vs
more precise

and got two different results.
The first really had "more precise" in every search result.
The second had posts with either "more", "precise" and/or "more precise"
You're right.

Now that I searched around some more it seems that I was being thrown off by the search highlighting. To follow the example, since it was given "more+presice" in the querystring to highlight it would highlight "more", "precise" and "more precise" in the thread.
#14 - Byku
Just curious question, when I type for example "scirocco AND scawen"(in advance search, default options), it shows me threads about (for example) M3 Challenge, and lots of others irrelevant threads... but not to many(if any at all!) threads about scirocco and scawen. If it simply doesn't find any threads about that, why it shows hundrets of others?
Quote from Byku :Just curious question, when I type for example "scirocco AND scawen"(in advance search, default options), it shows me threads about (for example) M3 Challenge, and lots of others irrelevant threads... but not to many(if any at all!) threads about scirocco and scawen. If it simply doesn't find any threads about that, why it shows hundrets of others?

It works normally at me, it showed me bunch of Scirocco thread as well as Moving house... thread and Z10 etc.
#16 - Byku
O.o... then my comp is strange O.o... or i cant use search button . (I bet on the second one :razz.
Quote from Victor :Note : AND is assumed when searching for more than one word without any operators.

Quote from Victor :I just tried two searches :

"more precise"
vs
more precise

and got two different results.
The first really had "more precise" in every search result.
The second had posts with either "more", "precise" and/or "more precise"

Shouldn't the second search (without the quotes) only return all posts which contain "more" and "precise" (rather than those that contain one or other other)?
Quote from amp88 :Shouldn't the second search (without the quotes) only return all posts which contain "more" and "precise" (rather than those that contain one or other other)?

read this line like this then :

The second had posts with either ("more" and "precise") and/or ("more precise")
The search is never very good for me. No matter what i search for i just get a random list of recent topics that have nothing to do with what i was looking for.

The auto search feature when making a new thread is very good and always spot on!
Quote from danthebangerboy :The search is never very good for me. No matter what i search for i just get a random list of recent topics that have nothing to do with what i was looking for.

The auto search feature when making a new thread is very good and always spot on!

A BIG +1 to that.

Victor, can you please make the actual Search feature as good as the auto search that happens when you make a new thread? I've given up trying to use the Search feature and just use the New Thread search as it works much better.
From what I can see you get the same results (and add some) as the title search if you tell the advanced search to only look for the keywords in the thread subjects.
Quote from Victor :read this line like this then :

The second had posts with either ("more" and "precise") and/or ("more precise")

I did a search using quick search and advanced search for "more precise" (without the quotes) showing posts and it gave me posts which only contained "more" or "precise" aswell as those which contained both.

From what I read in the following post I thought that the above search would only return results which contained both "more" and "precise" (though not necessarily as the phrase "more precise". Am I misunderstanding?

Quote from Victor :Note : AND is assumed when searching for more than one word without any operators.

yeah uh, mysql (or vb, but i think mysql) has decided now that "more" is too common a word, so that example isn't valid anymore.
I tried it before and really, it worked as expected.
Quote from Victor :yeah uh, mysql (or vb, but i think mysql) has decided now that "more" is too common a word, so that example isn't valid anymore.
I tried it before and really, it worked as expected.

Ah, OK

Search Tool Downgraded?
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG