The online racing simulator
Higher Poly models
(38 posts, started )
#1 - RS1T
Higher Poly models
Maybe for the next patch of LFS, there could be higher poly models of cars and the helmet? I'm not a 3d modeller but i doubt it will be too hard to make the models look a bit better.
In the next patch, there will not be almost anything except the VW Scirocco.

Anyway... I think that cars are good-modelled, although the helmets should be better.
Agreed, The car models are very good as a whole, However, the only exception could be the RB4 as it is somewhat lower poly.

It doesnt really bother me that much really, Im more interested in the handling and driveability of a car than how smooth the bodywork is. I would like to see better damage and detachabe parts model wise though.
More polygons won't make anything look better realy, and all it will do is increase rendering time, which will decrease frame rate.

LFS's cars are already pretty high poly as far as I'm concerned. The hoods of the cars even have edges instead of just being textured to look like they are seperated, they actualy are.

The one nice thing about LFS is that the cars are made well enough that the lighting can be done completely in the game, so you don't realy need the shading in the textures. This is something alot of other games don't have, they ususaly use alot of textures to make out the details, where LFS uses actual geometry to add the same details.
The RB4 definitly needs a higher polycount. But be realistic. The devs would need years for that update...
just a new directx engine what suports normal mapping
Hooah!
What LfS needs is an update in the graphics engine as a whole... it's not that urgent at all, but something with real time reflections and such wouldn't hurt. LfS is pretty detailed, it just needs an engine that can show all of its potential just imagine tracks with normal mapping and actual lightning... it would look pretty impresive.
can we get adaptations for dx10?!?! yay!!
IF Live For Speed have a new graphic engine, I hope it is not gonna be a super High Def engine.

I mean, I can not afford to buy a computer than runs GRID or NFS undercover on med settings without having bad FPS, and this is what I like with LFS
#10 - RS1T
Did i ask for a new graphics engine? No, just some slightly better models (eg. RB4 and helmet)
Quote from RS1T :Did i ask for a new graphics engine?

No, but it just shows how excited people get when they think of what they want in an update. We can find 500 threads where this derailment has occurred.

However, the car models are designed exactly as you see them in LFS. Therefore the cars must be completely re-designed in order to increase the poly-count. So with the current rate of progress, this would take a year, at least.
Quote from DragonCommando :More polygons won't make anything look better realy, and all it will do is increase rendering time, which will decrease frame rate.

Uh, what? Sorry, but yes, more polygons does make things look better. Yes, it would make things slower, but most people run LFS with lots of fps to spare before it gets ugly.

Anyway, I'd love to have bolts on all cars. The formula bmw and the scirocco do have them, but adding some to the other cars wouldn't be too hard, aye?
With all the stuff happening LFS-Dev wise, I think it's pretty mean to expect more of them. Scawen and Co. probably have enough work trying to sort out the Scirocco, let alone do anything else at the moment.
Only thing I would like, is that FXO and RB4 interiors would look nicer. XRT and XFG for example have great detailed interiors, but RB4 and FXO look still the same like they were in S1.
There are some nice custom interiors you can get from www.lfs-database.com if you want to make them look nicer.
Quote from Racer556 :Hooah!
What LfS needs is an update in the graphics engine as a whole... it's not that urgent at all, but something with real time reflections and such wouldn't hurt. LfS is pretty detailed, it just needs an engine that can show all of its potential just imagine tracks with normal mapping and actual lightning... it would look pretty impresive.

yeah i think that too! my handy game pgr has better reflactations than lfs and i think lfs looses the most players by these ot of time graphics, the damage and the anoying bareer bug. (i think the guys from the airattac servers use it wery well for stunt points )

BUT lfs with some new textures can look prety nice
Bloom is the answer!
^grid w/o the falling parts

other that that...

i agree with new default res textures.
Funny because just the other day I was showing LFS to some freinds (all adult non game players) and they were pretty impressed by the graphics. I think there is obviously a difference in expectation between people that are die hard gamers and the general public.

That said, as I've said before from a purely commercial point of view LFS is going to have to be "competitive" with other games, (in general not just driving games), in all areas, including graphics, to attract big sales. If the devs are ever interested in making any real money at least.
Quote from gezmoor :Funny because just the other day I was showing LFS to some freinds (all adult non game players) and they were pretty impressed by the graphics. I think there is obviously a difference in expectation between people that are die hard gamers and the general public.

Definitely! I've noticed this too. LFS has a very 'natural' or real-life like look unlike most games, including iRacing. It has its share of graphic shortcomings but most of them don't bother me as much as the flaws in the physics.

As for the OP's suggestion, I think some cars definitely need and will get updated bodies sooner or later.
#21 - Vain
My opinion is that the LFS team should reduce the graphical quality of the cars.

The BF1, FBM and likely VWS just don't fit into the game-enviroment and the increased quality binds resources that are needed elsewhere.
I believe I remember Scawen mentioning that he modelled the UF1 in one week. So if you take another week for a basic interior and add two more to come up with some physics parameters that means we could theoretically have one new car per month.
I find one mediocre looking car per month a much more interesting thought than one good looking car every 6 months.
To roughly quote somebody well known on this forum: LFS isn't a screenshot generator.
Quote from Vain :The BF1, FBM and likely VWS just don't fit into the game-enviroment and the increased quality binds resources that are needed elsewhere.

If you connect the points, it's clear LFS will get better looking over time, or at least that's the underlying intended direction. Even if LFS looks good enough most of the time, it can't just sit still.

Quote from Vain :I find one mediocre looking car per month a much more interesting thought than one good looking car every 6 months.

Each new one would raise balancing and usage issues. I.e. it will either kill interest for another car or class, or get forgotten quite quickly. And if fits in a class, they need to balance it against the others.

Looking at the current cars, it's clear there are still question marks in the balancing of GTR and TBO, no matter how long they've been available.
TBO balancing actually got worse, IMO.

It was quite close once. Before the FBM patch, IIRC. At least the FXO wasn't more than 1 second faster per lap on every track with at least 2 straights.
#24 - 5tag
I have a little suggestion for the model of the XR cars:

If you want to open your CMX viewer or have a look here (http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9203/xrgtturbojun3lj9.jpg)
you will see that the XRs both mud guards are connected together by the front section between the light and the bumper.

I just noticed this while skinning and thought it was quite unrealistically looking and it should be an easy fix. On the other hand with the last patch they updated the model at the lights so how could the developers not notice this? If it is modeled on purpose this way, could anybody try to explain?
The Mitsubishi for example has a clearance there (as you can see at http://home.att.ne.jp/sky/sigmaauto/images/Starion.JPG).
Quote from Anathema :The RB4 definitly needs a higher polycount. But be realistic. The devs would need years for that update...

Sure, one month to create RB4 and years to update it.
Quote from zeugnimod :TBO balancing actually got worse, IMO.

It was quite close once. Before the FBM patch, IIRC. At least the FXO wasn't more than 1 second faster per lap on every track with at least 2 straights.

Yeah, but most popular servers force 3% intake on FXO now

Higher Poly models
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG