The online racing simulator
Underwater cameras?
(12 posts, started )
Underwater cameras?
I am going to Sharm El Sheikh in May, and planning on doing some (alot) of snorkling.

While I am, I quite fancy the idea of underwater photography, I really don't fancy springing £1000 on a housing for my 350D, so have been looking at alternatives.

I have found THIS, anyone had any experiance with underwater cameras photography?, any suggestions?, something cheap would be preferable, as its not going to get used much when I get back!!!.

Cheers
I havn't got a clue about camera, but ive been on a few dives in Eygpt.

its worth taking the boat trips to the reefs.

Jackson Reef is one of the best places to snorkel in Sharm el Sheikh.
Cheers man, also looking at going out to Tiran island?, have heard thats good for snorkelling.
Quote from danowat :anyone had any experiance with underwater cameras photography?, any suggestions?, something cheap

Depends on what you fancy on doing really. If it's just some surface snapshots then you might get away with a cheap camera but might be better of investing in a decent (brandname) waterproof-to-5m compact camera. For anything more than that cheap is not really an option since you'll end up buying it again.
I once bought a cheap underwater camera from kodak. It was a single use camera with film and the pictures turned out surprisingly well!

However, the one you've posted... i mean, at least Kodak was a well known brand. I've never heard about SVP (it's a right wing party in switzerland... lol ), and i would be very careful with such a purchase. You could be lucky and it'll last for a while and produce good pictures... but you could aswell be wasting your money.

For a camera i would always go for a well known brand. Nikon, Canon, Sony, blabla. At least you'll be more or less on the safe side.

A friend of mine bought a housing for his canon ixus "something" point&shoot camera. I have no idea how much it was, but i don't think it was very expensive. The pictures and videos he took looked quite nice too. Don't you have some sort of point&shoot camera already (for which the housing shouldn't be that expensive), next to the 350D?

I would rather go for a cheap canon ixus with a housing, even if you end up spending more. On the other hand, if you already know you'll never use it anymore after the snorkeling in sharm el sheikh...
Just shallow stuff really, and possibly surface/beach/paddling shots too, so I don't have to risk my 350D.

Quote :might be better of investing in a decent waterproof-to-5m compact camera

Any recommedations?, I don't already have a compact, and could be open to the idea of getting a compact and a housing.
For such playful usage, off the top of my head, I remember hearing good words about this one:
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/ecoshot.html

However it's probably more than twice the price of the one you posted above.

In fact I've also heard good words about another one, rather more expensive it seemed, of their cameras relative to their ruggedness and CCD capabilities.

Two friends of mine also are pleased with an Olympus-with-housing and a Samsung-waterproof-without-housing that they got - sadly, I don't remember their models, but that wouldn't matter as they're likely outdated by now.
I wish I could find a few pics taken with the camera I linked too, I mean at £60ish its almost in the impulse/throw in the bin catagory, however, I wouldn't mind knowing if the pics are half decent.

As for the Aquapac, its an idea, but I am not sure i'd be comfortable with my 350D in a plastic bag!!!!.
I've been diving a few times too. (also in Sharm El Sheikh) I used a cheap-ass camera to take some pictures, and it was OK. Don't expect good quality pictures with those cameras... (mostly very dark photos)

So if you want some good quality photos I recommend to buy a 'real' underwater camera. (but is it worth it?..) If you just want 'decent' photos, buy just a cheap-ass one.
Most underwater cameras can be quite expensive.

However, "Kipkay" on Youtube did a video where he made an ordinary video camera waterproof. If you're interested, it may take a little while to make but could save you lots of dosh.
#12 - MR_B
You could get an underwater case if you have a camera already.

If not then you have the Olympus mju 850 sw or the 1030 sw. The 850 is 3m waterproof and can be dropped from 1.5m. And the 1030 is 10m waterproof and can be dropped from a height of 2m.

Pop into a local jessops store and take a look.

Underwater cameras?
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG