The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :Meh...I have a thick skin, I get the impression some of the LFS fanboys don't like me too much because I like most racing sims and don't stick my flag in any one camp, whatever is fine, I am not phased by it Thumbs up

Dan,

If you talk about any other sim (besides RBR) without bashing it then we all hate you. You can evade our wrath by thoroughly praising LFS every three posts, though :rolleyes:
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from AndroidXP :If you talk about any other sim (besides RBR) without bashing it then we all hate you. You can evade our wrath by thoroughly praising LFS every three posts, though :rolleyes:

Does the fact that I have been using LFS for over 3 years not count as I like this sim a heck of alot? Shrug

I love LFS, but I also like other things too Nod

Dan,
Personally I drive from whatever view I feel like at a time. In competition its mostly the wheels only view, in the single seaters I use a custom view with the camera placed ruffly where the tv camera would be on top of the rollbar. In the slower cars I use the Cockpit view.

Each to thier own, I get a better all around view from the rollbar / top of the roof.
#54 - KTy
Quote from danowat :Ok, ok, fair enough, but ask yourself this question, if Nkpro hadnt have come out recently, would the single seater cockpits have been improved Thumbs up

Dan,

Yeah, probably because of BMW-Sauber pushing for better gfx aspect...
I agree with Kev on the whole issue with liking other sims.
Quote from tr1ax :What doesn't work about it? You click it and it goes? I personally am at home with this since up until a few years ago was a horrible Falcon 4 addict for many years.

It doesn't work because you have to look and be very precise about your mouse movement to hit the buttons. In the real world you do not have to look at all because you have tactile feedback, and you don't have to be precise because the switches are a few inches apart, not a few pixels. Clickable cockpits are a novel idea, but they don't work well in practice.

Quote :
I yearn for the day that LFS has detailed cockpits and an updated graphics engine.

I'll agree with you about the cockpits, but I personally think LFS is one of the best looking sims on the market. So long as you have AA/AF enabled, it's gorgeous (just not super detailed).
Quote from CharlieP :LOL, I must be the only LFS'er who doesn't give a flying F@rt what the cockpits look like Big grin

The way the car drives is important to me, not how it looks.... inside the cockpit or out....

Bitchin about missing polygons is a joke.... The joke is the person who zoomed in close enough to the mesh to notice it!

Don't you guys.... 'Just drive' ?

and I don't mean NK "Pro" ... I mean LFS Wink

I enjoy the driving way to much to care about how the car looks.

Thumbs up
Quote from Cue-Ball :
I'll agree with you about the cockpits, but I personally think LFS is one of the best looking sims on the market. So long as you have AA/AF enabled, it's gorgeous (just not super detailed).

Too true I know it's low detailed and plays well on lower spec systems but surely that should be seen as an asset to LFS. I find that the Papy graphics are still as good as any fancy new flashy graphics. They may be 2D objects but they still get the job done and in some of the GPL tracks look stunning.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :I agree it's good that LFS runs on lower-spec machines (my box isn't anything special for sure), but at the same time I get a much more convincing feeling of being seated in the cockpit of a racing car from nK. It's arguably the only thing nK does better, but it is indeed better.

I don't think the cockpit is really much of a performance hit. The Papy sims always had great cockpits. I think LFS's main undoing is that it trys to draw everything with vectors, which limits it to dials that feel rather clinical.
Quote from danowat :Not sure if this has been mentioned, and I dont remember the current FOX having this, but it looks like a tip of the hat to NKpro to me Thumbs up

The FOX didn't, but the FO8 already had a chassis manufacturer's plate (and various dash buttons), so not really a nod towards nKP, but rather just a general improvement and a further nod towards realism. nKP may have been a trigger for cockpit improvements, although it may also just have been a move to keep the existing single seaters up to the standards of the new BF1.

LFS already has an ignition/starter button (can be mapped to a wheel button if you really want to run the profiler), which although currently only useful if you run out of fuel but manage to coast to the pits, it isn't a huge step to have to start the car in the pits/garage. I quite like starting the cars in nKP, and although I hate having to use the mouse to click on wheel/dash buttons when I've got perfectly lifelike buttons on my wheel, it's probably only a matter of time before the starter can be easily mapped to the wheel.

There are a few realism things which would be nice to see in LFS (removing the auto throttle cut on upshift would be nice, especially if engine damage was possible - although the downside is that it would probably lead to more frequent cleaning of the DFP pedal pots!), but I think LFS already has a nice balance between being a hardcore sim and being accessible and great for online racing.
Quote from Rob76 :it's probably only a matter of time before the starter can be easily mapped to the wheel.

Backspace is the shortcut key for starter in nK Pro. So it can be mapped to the wheel with the profiler keystrokes.
Quote from deggis :Backspace is the shortcut key for starter in nK Pro. So it can be mapped to the wheel with the profiler keystrokes.

but not the ON button, the ignition switch and not the AIM buttons (most annoying thing)
Quote from Rob76 :
There are a few realism things which would be nice to see in LFS (removing the auto throttle cut on upshift would be nice

You can set that in your options, I always do manual cut on upshiftSmile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG