The online racing simulator
Strength
(33 posts, started )
Quote from HavocS :And that's when my lack of experience comes: does powersteering just help a bit so the difference between a car with wide tyres and one with normal (like comparing the FXR to the RB4) is still noticable or does it feel completely the same? In other words: should the FXR feel SO much heavier than the XFG?

No problems Nobody comes to this world with all the knowledge, it'd be pretty boring otherwise

As obsolum says, powersteering helps a lot! To be simple, it is a set of hydraulic pistons in each side of the steering rack that help multiply the strength of the steering inputs.
A good comparison my father gave me some years ago is that for instance, without powersteering, it'd be a pain to turn the steering wheel of an old mercedes when standing still (speed=0), if you are bodybuilded like Schwarzenegger! An averagely muscular person would probably not even be able to steer without moving and powersteering

On race cars, usually powersteering is chopped off since it is quite heavy, and with the slicks the steering of cars can get pretty damn heavy !

I guess (I repeat, I guess !) that LFS already simulates the FFB level with the different tires, and does it also with the weight and the aero. But I repeat again, it's a guess from my memories back in the time I still had my G25 Your program is an interesting idea ! I'll try it when I'll be back in France with my G25
-
Obsolum.... (pjuniorbra) DELETED by pjuniorbra
Obsolum......
You did this question - What is this force that I am talking about?

I will try exclarecer. When you enter the simulator to play with any car, either locally or online from the moment you start to run and press the key less <or more> from the keyboard, on your screen will be displayed in the upper left force that goes from 0 (zero) to 200%, this is the strength that I am speaking, as it makes greater.
Quote from pjuniorbra :You did this question - What is this force that I am talking about?

I will try exclarecer. When you enter the simulator to play with any car, either locally or online from the moment you start to run and press the key less <or more> from the keyboard, on your screen will be displayed in the upper left force that goes from 0 (zero) to 200%, this is the strength that I am speaking, as it makes greater.

Okay, so it is FFB strength you are talking about.

Then try doing what Shadowww says. Open your cfg.txt file and change the number behing FF Strength to 350.00, then save the file. See if that works. I don't think there is any other way.

But why do you want to set it that high? What wheel do you have? Have you set it up correctly in Windows? Take a look at this page (the bottom) to see what settings are recommended. If you have set it up like that, you should not need 350% strength.
Quote from HavocS :So I decided to make scripts for each car changing the FFB to a more realistic value but I have no experience with real cars.

That's basically what I'm doing too, but I'm not looking for a realistic value. I found out it's much better to use FFB just for its purpose: having feedback. I tend to choose the value that gives me the most detailed feeling for the given car.

Keeping the driver set at 105% I use 35% for the XFG and 25% for the XRG. The XRG weighs more so it will always feel heavier on the steer, also in the XFG the steering gets very light under hard acceleration.

Quote from HavocS :I don't really want to make all the same.

I don't think it's even to do that - different weight distribution, suspension geometry, tyres, etc will always make a car feel different from another.

If all the cars felt the same, then there would be something really wrong with LFS.
Quote from HavocS :So that means LFS already counts in the FFB simulation if the car has powersteering or not?

Good question, I still have no idea what kind of steering LFS tries to simulate. In a car with power steering the wheel's steering resistance should be linear (at least it was in all cars I sat in), but in LFS the resistance in all cars is progressive. So it can't be power steering.

So obviously LFS simulates cars without power steering, this would be a little strange though, since the cars in LFS are not so old and should have power steering. And there's this issue with the wheel being lightweight while the car is standing, shouldn't be like that without power steering.
From what i read, you're using a mouse. So Force Feedback strengh is useless...

But unless i read it wrong, then i don't think setting it on the cfg file will make it work. I belive from a programmer's pov that if the system detects the option above it's maximum range it will rewrite it to become 200... My 2c (got no lfs installed atm)
Quote from Zen321 :A good comparison my father gave me some years ago is that for instance, without powersteering, it'd be a pain to turn the steering wheel of an old mercedes when standing still (speed=0), if you are bodybuilded like Schwarzenegger! An averagely muscular person would probably not even be able to steer without moving and powersteering

Hehe, I remember when I was like six, I tried to turn the wheel in my grandfather's car and it wouldn't move

Well, for me realism is the most important. I don't want to be first, fastest - it's just hell of fun to drive around with other people and doing it as safe as possible. Well, you could say what do I care how realistic is the driving of the FXR when I never have driven and you'd have a point - but I'd like to feel what a real driver would feel. Nevertheless, I think I'm going along NightShift's idea - just tweak the FFB a bit car by car to make them a bit more steerable. Thanks for the replies to everyone

Strength
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG