The online racing simulator
I'm never racing on a.. [rant]
(59 posts, closed, started )
What I don't get is this:

Quote from ToxicKlay :....and slowed down a little as to not spin...

Quote : ...and I'm perfectly capable of holding a steady line and driving cleanly...

When you're so perfectly capable, then why did you get off the throttle in a corner? On the Oval??

Sometimes it gets a little harsh on FM's Oval Junkies. Sometimes I just visit and watch them go left and left, I barely drive there. What I've found out was that over an hour or two Several FM-guys practice hard to get faster and race closer. During that time many many people join, ruin 5 or 6 races with their poor skills, then leave again. You might just have been the drop that made the scale tip over...

Quote :A quick tip of advice: If you plan on using this server, prepare to get verbally harassed and such until you are banned. Good luck.

This is plain wrong.
I know the FM guys as really really helpful blokes. You get their fast sets, you can talk to one of them 24/7, you get every kind of help you need - if you want to.

greetz

der butz
I have had my share of unagreement with FM, but in the end, their server and they can do what they want out of it. Shrug

Best thing is, if the ban ain't fair, is to send them a message, a PM to failure for example and describe the whole thing.

And saying chase veiw makes you a hazzard on track is bullshit, I have raced a lot of guys using the "real" veiw, that are absolutely not aware of what's happending in front, beside or behind them. I feel I have good co-..erhm word? .. respond good to what happening around me. But then again, I have been using the souround system to get a good feedback where the other cars are on the track, aswell chaning camera veiws every now and then if nessesary.
Quote from mutt107 :i can Smile never had a wreck.

nobody can you are putting some one in danger because you cant see him everytime, so if you never had a crash / wreck , Respect for the cars behind you , thats the one that can driveNod
Quote from ToxicKlay :I was using chase view (third-person) and had no mirrors (because it was chase view). I went down low into the turn, and slowed down a little as to not spin. One of the [FM] guys runs into me. Just a little bump, nothing major.

There's your problem, judging from what you say I believe you pretty much went on the first lane in the corner, that's where the failure begins. You pretty much ignored one of their basic rules, don't block the first lane. If you had mirrors, you might have realized (with the current LFS physics cars can catch up pretty quickly) the driver behind getting ready for a pass and that you must allow him to pass you (by not going below the second lane). He bumped you because he was expecting you to leave him room but you didn't so he had to slow down quite considerable, since you said yourself that you eased off the gas pedal as well.

Now if this rule seems unrealistic, pointless, stupid, etc. it doesn't count. It's there server so when you joined a race you agreed to follow their rules. Don't like them, join another server but I think that most have the same rule.

It was probably a one day ban done by the players since I have never seen a FM banning just for that so I think that you should be able to join now.

I used to race a lot on the FM servers, the lads are one of the most friendly and nice team you can find, never had a single problem.

But as said above, the LFS forum is not for naming and shaming. If you really wanted to get back on the server, you should have gone on their vent server or on their forum and discuss the matter there. If you just wanted to "let the people know the truth" and somehow "release your anger and make them pay" , the most plausible one judging from the thread's name, then you pretty much screwed it because it was your fault and made a complete pillock out of yourself by posting
OH NOES!!! THEY STOLE THE IDLE LINE!! BAN 999!!!!!!!!! :mad:

my advice is the best, dont race on ovals Thumbs up
Although I understand the irony of the post I must say that it is subjective and relative. Different persons will prefer different types of motorsport. Whatever you like to do in LFS keep in mind that the same rules that you find in real life apply here as well, common sense and mutual respect between the drivers and organizers must exist for an event or a race day to work. Without this, it simply fails.

Well that's my 2 centsSmile
Would never happen on or servers - chase cam view is turned off Smile

Exactly for that reason - it caused so many crashes.

I'm not saying that there can't be any competent drivers with chase cam, in fact I know various who are fast and courteous.

But I am saying that no matter how competent, you have no idea where I try to go when I draft you or where I try to pass under blue.

It leads to countless unfortunate misunderstandings which when they add up, day after day, just start getting on your nerves. We just prefer to have it disabled from the start.

Cheers

aceracer
#34 - 5haz
I am absolutely distraught to hear you will not be racing on a server I have never heard of, again.

And I applaud you for making such a brave and bold statement. Uh-hu

No I don't really.
An official comment and hopefully the only one.

Quote from ToxicKlay :Today I had some free time to race some LFS. I decided to race on the [FM] Oval Junkies because I respect the server and it's mature racers.

So far so good, nice of you to say so.

Quote :Unfortunately, this respect has gone away.

So quickly? Because of a minor incident which you describe?

Quote :I was racing, it was about the 7th lap and I was in first. I was using chase view (third-person) and had no mirrors (because it was chase view).

A few people have already suggested this might not be a great idea. Although there are a couple of good drivers who use the Oval regularly in this view. For new people, or people who are not set in their ways too much, we do not recommend it.

Quote :I went down low into the turn, and slowed down a little as to not spin.

Going down low into a turn is good and offers the best line and speed, slowing down to not spin doesn't really make any sense unless you turned down into the corners so quickly and not smoothly that you had begun to lose control?

Quote :One of the [FM] guys runs into me. Just a little bump, nothing major.

Perhaps because you couldn't see them coming? There is no such thing as minor little bump at 185+mph/300+kph.

Quote :I was quick to say sorry and ect. However, he started a vote to ban me. And it was accepted, mostly by people WHO WEREN'T EVEN IN THE RACE.

I am glad to hear you were quick to say sorry, clearly at that point you acknowledge it was your fault and you are apologising. If the [FM] member started to vote to ban then I imagine they do not have admin rights and in their opinion it was the right thing to do under the circumstances.

As for people pressing 1 to vote were not in the race, you cannot blame the server and its administrators for the 'press 1 sheep'. I am sure all servers have this problem, as soon as drivers who are not even aware of what has happened see the option to press 1, they just automatically do it.

Quote :A quick tip of advice: If you plan on using this server, prepare to get verbally harassed and such until you are banned. Good luck.

For someone who supposedly had respect, this shows absolutely none. If you respect the server and its mature racers, in your words, then there is no need for this thread as soon as you run into a little difficulty. A vote ban is only 12 hours. I'm afraid all this thread has done is make you look silly.
Quote from zeugnimod :Worst advice ever. Big grin

LOL I was waiting on Zeugi to butt in with his obvious likes of chasing up the rear Razz
I rarely disappoint. Cool
#38 - th84
Quote from SmegFirk :An official comment and hopefully the only one.

So far so good, nice of you to say so.

So quickly? Because of a minor incident which you describe?

A few people have already suggested this might not be a great idea. Although there are a couple of good drivers who use the Oval regularly in this view. For new people, or people who are not set in their ways too much, we do not recommend it.

Going down low into a turn is good and offers the best line and speed, slowing down to not spin doesn't really make any sense unless you turned down into the corners so quickly and not smoothly that you had begun to lose control?

Perhaps because you couldn't see them coming? There is no such thing as minor little bump at 185+mph/300+kph.

I am glad to hear you were quick to say sorry, clearly at that point you acknowledge it was your fault and you are apologising. If the [FM] member started to vote to ban then I imagine they do not have admin rights and in their opinion it was the right thing to do under the circumstances.

As for people pressing 1 to vote were not in the race, you cannot blame the server and its administrators for the 'press 1 sheep'. I am sure all servers have this problem, as soon as drivers who are not even aware of what has happened see the option to press 1, they just automatically do it.

For someone who supposedly had respect, this shows absolutely none. If you respect the server and its mature racers, in your words, then there is no need for this thread as soon as you run into a little difficulty. A vote ban is only 12 hours. I'm afraid all this thread has done is make you look silly.

Such a polite and well written response, what the hell has gotten into you guys!?!?

I long for the days of CrazyHarry coming on here and telling people such as the OP to go **** themselves. Tilt
Quote from th84 :Such a polite and well written response, what the hell has gotten into you guys!?!?

I long for the days of CrazyHarry coming on here and telling people such as the OP to go **** themselves. Tilt

Yeah, he has to teach them more "life skill". Big grin
Quote from th84 :Such a polite and well written response, what the hell has gotten into you guys!?!?

I always had that to fall back on if necessary Thumbs up
I must say, FM are a great bunch of guys, really good to talk and race with compared to certain other hosts..
Quote from J@tko :TBH there's no way you can drive on the oval without mirrors.....

This isn't really directed at you, but a lot of people on this thread are blaming the op for getting rear ended. I've never raced ovals so this is a polite request for information. In regular track racing the car behind has the sole responsibility of ensuring there is room for error when tailing somebody. Is this not the case on ovals? Thanks in advance for any help.
Quote :I long for the days of CrazyHarry coming on here and telling people such as the OP to go **** themselves. Tilt

Quote :I always had that to fall back on if necessary

Big grinBig grinThumbs up

Great posts Smegfirk

FM are a great bunch of guys who take their time, money and resources to provide a real community for racers. Their open house policy for their Vent server is wonderful and supportive of the whole community.
Quote from BAMBO :You pretty much ignored one of their basic rules, don't block the first lane. If you had mirrors, you might have realized (with the current LFS physics cars can catch up pretty quickly) the driver behind getting ready for a pass and that you must allow him to pass you (by not going below the second lane). He bumped you because he was expecting you to leave him room but you didn't so he had to slow down quite considerable, since you said yourself that you eased off the gas pedal as well.

Now if this rule seems unrealistic, pointless, stupid, etc. it doesn't count. It's there server so when you joined a race you agreed to follow their rules. Don't like them, join another server but I think that most have the same rule.

Fair point, their server their rules, but Its just such a senseless and totally unrealistic rule.

Why the heck should someone have to automatically let a driver overtake them without being allowed to fight for their position?? (unless they are a lap down of course.)

If this really the case then i would be banned from every FM server there is.

A driver should have to fight to overtake and win the position, not have it handed to them on a plate because of some rule about making the driver in front move out of the way.

Total joke TBH.
Quote from FiveMagics :This isn't really directed at you, but a lot of people on this thread are blaming the op for getting rear ended. I've never raced ovals so this is a polite request for information. In regular track racing the car behind has the sole responsibility of ensuring there is room for error when tailing somebody. Is this not the case on ovals? Thanks in advance for any help.

Erm, kinda. Basically what you do is draft down the straights and change position just before the corner, so the person in front usually goes wide letting the person behind through, then swap over and repeat. TBH if theres any overlap at all then you need to go wide and get in the draft down the next straight, infact its better if you're behind than infront so you can draft Thumbs up
Quote from DevilDare :my advice is the best, dont race on ovals Thumbs up

This is the worst advice ever given.
I am a big fan of NASCAR-esque racing. I know this is pulling on the American hillbilly-beer throwing stereotype but I am none of those two things.

I am quite surprised at the amount of mixed comments I am getting. I was expecting after I posted this a mod to come swiftly down and plant the lock onto this. However nearing the end of a page 2 I realize that this has now become a beacon of light for discussing proper Oval etiquette. Even though as FiveMagics veered away from pointing it at me, I fully appreciate the help you are giving me.
Its true what the Thread opener said, i was kicked because i discuss with a [FM] Member.
Quote from ToxicKlay :I was racing, it was about the 7th lap and I was in first. I was using chase view (third-person) and had no mirrors (because it was chase view). I went down low into the turn, and slowed down a little as to not spin. One of the [FM] guys runs into me. Just a little bump, nothing major. I was quick to say sorry and ect. However, he started a vote to ban me. And it was accepted, mostly by people WHO WEREN'T EVEN IN THE RACE.

First, if you want to use chase view. Fine with me. As long as you know what is happening around you. The Problem is, especially when you drive by yourself and have two or three cars drafting each other coming up on you, they reach you with quite some overspeed. So, it is hard in chase view to recognize them fast enough.
Your description of what you did, going down into the turn and slowing down.. well imagine what that looks like when you are the car behind trying to pass you with an speed advantage of 30 km/h......... exactly, it looks like you did it on purpose to close the inner lane and stop the faster cars from passing you. That behavior on the oval leads to a crash in 95% of the time. So, it is not tolerated, since it is an absolutely ridiculous thing to do on oval. The cars that work together are simply faster than you, and will pass you sooner or later. So, trying to stop them from doing so, just doesn't work. Instead, on the oval (at least on the FM one), you should let them by and concentrate on getting in their draft and pass them again. That will not only give you speed and time boost of quite some bit, but also gives you a better experience of close racing. Thats it what oval is about. Close racing at 290km/h with 3,4,5 or even more cars around you. It is not about the track, we know that it is only left, a left, then.. left and then.. let me think.. oh yeah, there is another small left kink to complete the lap.. (man that was hard :P) . It is about close racing, getting a rhythm and enjoying the thrill of passing another car just some inches away at 300km/h.
Oh, and before I forget it. An FM Member will never issue a vote-BAN at the first incident happening. You will get a warning first.
And, not to forget the next thing either. you said, that you were fast in saying sorry and stuff.. Since I cant remember the incident, I suppose I wasn't there when it happend, but to me it sounds like, you went to the inside, while some cars drafting tried to pass. They hit you and make you spin, or partially loose control of the car. You then quickly pressed your Sorry Bind, or typed it into chat, while still be spinning/standing/going slow on the track. If that is the case, my advice: Never do that on an oval. First Pit, Then chat. Clear the track as fast as you can, when you loose control. We react allergic to people standing / idling / spinning on the track and happily chatting with others.. thats a no-go and deserves at least a kick. Yes I know, your race was ruinied, so why bother. But it is just not fair to ruin other peoples races just because your own one is. And yes, I know it is kinda unrealistic just telepitting in a simulator. But it provides better racing for everyone.
(Man, I know my post is becoming pretty long again, but I am not finished yet)

Quote from squidhead :Made my day... thank you Big grin

Now that was some usefull input.. Thanks for wasting some more bytes on the internet!
Quote from DeKo :i use RHD in LFS, always have done. last time i was on FM, i got told to leave because i was putting myself at a disatvantage by using RHD :|

Simple thing. Sitting on the right side of the car when there are only banked left turns ahead of you, is simply not advised. You have 70kg on the outside of the turn, when you could have them on the inside, thus kinda pulling you around the turn and not outwards. I haven't seen a single Oval Set in LFS, that is set up to having the driver on the right side. And if you use one of the common oval sets circling around and have your driver on the right side, then you simply will have a disadvantage. What we try to achieve is a big field with drivers who know what they are doing and know what is happening around them. Then Oval in LFS is really good fun.

Quote from Trekkerfahrer :i know what you are meaning:
FM Members crash into you and its your fault. I have a lifetime ban on all FM Servers because i said to one FM member that he can only drive oval and nothing else..... and i know i am right Big grin

Thank you for that, another good reason to keep your ban up to the max.

Quote from FiveMagics :This isn't really directed at you, but a lot of people on this thread are blaming the op for getting rear ended. I've never raced ovals so this is a polite request for information. In regular track racing the car behind has the sole responsibility of ensuring there is room for error when tailing somebody. Is this not the case on ovals? Thanks in advance for any help.

Well in general I'd say it's nothing different on the oval than on any other track. Of course, if you try to pass someone and you either don't have the speed to actually pass him or there is no room for you to pass, you will have to lift the throttle and try to pass the next turn.
BUT: The thing on the oval is that you work together. If a car is approaching you from behind, on the straight you hold a straight line and let the car behind gain some speed in your slipstream. Then when you turn in for the next turn, you leave the inner most lane empty to let the faster car pass you. Then that car will move to the outside for the straight again and hold a steady line for you to draft. in the next turn it is your turn to pass.. and so on.. So it is not a fight for position as on circuit tracks, it is working together.
One of the coolest situations I can remember on the oval is the following:
Two cars in the lead were drafting each other. Another car was about 1,5 seconds behind them. Another 2 seconds behind was me and a mate drafting with each other.
Now, You have a 2 -1 -2 car situation. The middle car will never be able to catch the two guys in front, since they are drafting and getting about half a second a lap advantage.
The two cars in the rear will not be able to reach the front two cars, since there is more than 3 seconds difference (which is a lot on oval). Now comes the tricky part. So me and my drafting partner in pos 4and5 come up to the middle guy. That driver has two options: 1) Defending his position at all costs. The two cars coming from behind will then try to pass him and leave him beind, since he seems not to be interested in drafting. 2) He lets the two cars by and concetrates on getting in their draft making it a 3 car draft. With three cars you can get another half a second advantage over a two car draft (if you are good that is). So, the three cars together have a chance to actually catch the two guys in front now that they work together, which they wouldn't have if they would fight each other for position three. And in an 8 laps Race those decisions have to be made quickly to ensure having a chance of catching the front guys. (We actually did catch them and had a thrilling final lap with five cars battling for the win) Who then is going to win the race is decided most of the times in the last turn and the finish straight. And you will notice that most drivers most of the time dont really care who wins the race when the race itself was good. The journey is the reward.
I hope that cleared it a bit. If not, you are more than welcome to join our server and ask your questions or go on track with us and train drafting. We are more than willing to help new people out, be it a setup or general drafting experience or anything else. If you stick to our rules, are friendly and willing to learn, you will have a great time on the oval. (didnt really want to underline that part, but can't get it gone and am too lazy to type again)
Quote from TurboBlaster :Its true what the Thread opener said, i was kicked because i discuss with a [FM] Member.

I cant really remember the incident you describe (there are a lot of them). Will have to flick through my replays when I am back home. Then I can reply. But I am sure you were not kicked for discussing..

Sorry guys, my post got a bit long. There is just so much I wanna say to this. People seem to not understand what FM-Oval is all about. We always try to be friendly and helpfull. But we are just human beings. So bear with us, we all have our bad days. And imagine having like 20 new drivers spread across an evening of oval, who just join the track, ruin other peoples races, because they dont understand what is going on and do not reply at all to chat messages trying to help them. We always try to help new drivers. But if someone just does not reply, he is gone.

Best Regards, [FM]^Torben
Quote from danthebangerboy :Fair point, their server their rules, but Its just such a senseless and totally unrealistic rule.

Why the heck should someone have to automatically let a driver overtake them without being allowed to fight for their position?? (unless they are a lap down of course.)

Oval racing is quite different than road course. Drafting is a vital point of the race, so teamwork even though not on the same team comes into play for a good race.

Gotta really experience it first hand to appreciate it.

Let's say youre going 300+ KPH with 2 other draftees and some bloke in 3rd person view is running alone at 280kph ahead of you. Has no idea that 3 cars are coming up to him at 20kph+ and wrecks everyone.

A vote ban is 24 hours, less in some cases. And instead of learning from your mistakes, you come on here and start a thread about never racing on FM servers again LOL Grow up and stop whining.
This thread is closed

I'm never racing on a.. [rant]
(59 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG