The General NFL Discussion Thread
(106 posts, started )
As the title says this is a General NFL discussion thread. Sorry if there was already a thread for this, I didn't find anyone. And this ain't the best time to start this thread as the season is nearly over

Anyway, the big day is coming up for NFL. The Superbowl, one of the biggest sporting events in the world. Were millions of people watch it all over the world. I am looking forward to this one. Over the past few years i have started to get involved and follow the sport. As a New England Patriots fan we have quite a good bit of success over the past years. The people who don't know who is playing in the superbowl this year is, the Pittsburgh Steelers Vs Arizona Cardinals. It should be a good final.

Mon the Steelers as the patriots ain't playing
Quote from 1993weeman :The people who don't know who is playing in the superbowl this year is.....

Which would by you....

Quote :the Pittsburgh Steelers Vs Atlanta Falcons. It should be a good final.

It's the Arizona Cardinals, not the Falcons

I'm not an NFL fan at all. In fact, when I just tried to type NFL, it was more natural to automatically type NFS, of which I am also not a fan at all of. LOL

Not being an NFL fan in the US is practically a sin. It is nearly against the law. And trying to strike up a conversation with someone in the summer even is difficult to do with 50% of the population because everyone talks about football. During the season, forget it. 99% of general talk is football. That is the way it is around where I am. I live in Steeler Country, about an hour and a half from Pittsburgh. Thus, I do have to watch just because it's Pittsburgh. I will watch the playoffs every year at least until Pittsburgh is out.

One of the main reasons I don't watch NFL is because I am a HUGE hockey fan. Football is just way too slow of a game for me. I like the speed of a hockey game and the constant action. I know all the rules of hockey and none of football. When you don't know the rules of a game, it really hinders the enjoyment of watching. The more important game is this weekend, the NHL All Stars game. It's not important for the league in general, but important for the Pittsburgh Penguins because after making it to the Stanley Cup last year, they absolutely suck this year. If they don't turn it around immediately after the All Stars game, stick a fork in them because they are done.

Aside from the Dallas Cowboys, the Pittsburgh Steelers are probably the most favorite team around the entire US. No matter where I have travelled, I have always seen at least one person's office at work completely filled with Steeler decorations. Snoop Dog has a wooden sign outside his house that reads "Steeler Country". Saw his house on a TV show the other day.

All that said..... Let's go STEELERS!
I remember the last time the Steelers were in a superbowl (I think it was the last time anyway) they had Neil O'Donnell as their starting QB, and I think he threw three interceptions that game. It was hard to tell whose team he was on.

It was a right laugh.
cheers about the mistakes i rushed typing so i wasn't concentrating. (no surprise)

I cant stand hockey. Mainly because i cant see the puck. (if thats whats its called) Its just to fast of a game. Am pretty lucky as my brother got tickets for the New England Patriots game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Wembly. Lucky me
Quote from 1993weeman :cheers about the mistakes i rushed typing so i wasn't concentrating. (no surprise)

I cant stand hockey. Mainly because i cant see the puck. (if thats whats its called) Its just to fast of a game. Am pretty lucky as my brother got tickets for the New England Patriots game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Wembly. Lucky me

It's not as fast a game as the speed with which puck can move, I think they say you should watch the players and not the puck. I watch it from time to time but don't really follow it and I think the whole fighting thing is ridiculous, but I do really admire the skill and the combination of finesse, touch and physicality of the actual game.

NFL always captures my attention around the playoff time and I usually end up declaring (in my head, not aloud ) that I'll watch more next season after the superbowl is over. But I usually don't. Last season I watched quite a bit, but not so much this year, just not enough hours in the day. It works well in highlight form though.
Arizona GOGOGOGOGOGO
Well the eagles didn't make it :/
Quote from sinbad :It's not as fast a game as the speed with which puck can move, I think they say you should watch the players and not the puck. I watch it from time to time but don't really follow it and I think the whole fighting thing is ridiculous, but I do really admire the skill and the combination of finesse, touch and physicality of the actual game.

NFL always captures my attention around the playoff time and I usually end up declaring (in my head, not aloud ) that I'll watch more next season after the superbowl is over. But I usually don't. Last season I watched quite a bit, but not so much this year, just not enough hours in the day. It works well in highlight form though.

Yeah, the only thing i do like about hockey is the fighting.

NFL all the way for me. Just can not wait for the superbowl. The steelers will hopefully win it but it could be close. Last years superbowl was good even though my team did get beat.
The cardinals won't be able to crack the Steelers' defense, but i hope they win anyways. Steelers fans around my way talk entirely too much trash.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I remember the last time the Steelers were in a superbowl (I think it was the last time anyway) they had Neil O'Donnell as their starting QB, and I think he threw three interceptions that game. It was hard to tell whose team he was on.

It was a right laugh.

Well.... there was the lake effect.... That's the running joke from way back then, Neil O'Donnell complaining that the winds coming off Lake Erie messed up his passes, LOL.

2006 was the last time the Steelers were in the Superbowl. They beat Seattle in Detroit. That was Championship #5 tying Dallas with their 5 Championships. Jerome Bettis is from Detroit and retired after the game. That was a big stink.

Quote from 1993weeman :I cant stand hockey. Mainly because i cant see the puck. (if thats whats its called) Its just to fast of a game.

Quote from sinbad :It's not as fast a game as the speed with which puck can move, I think they say you should watch the players and not the puck.

What sinbad says, don't watch the puck, watch the players. You will know where the puck is by watching the players and the action comes from watching the players. The big thing with hockey is you really have to know who the players are to be able to watch them. They only play 40 second shifts on average. To watch Crosby and Malkin on ice together for the Penguins is really something. Zetterberg and Franzen for Detroit for example. Amazing skills.

Quote :I watch it from time to time but don't really follow it and I think the whole fighting thing is ridiculous, but I do really admire the skill and the combination of finesse, touch and physicality of the actual game.

The fighting is an integral and very important part of the game. There is talk about banning fights in the NHL and that would be extremely detrimental to the game. The fights are used to razz the fans up to create an atmosphere and turn the game momentum around. They are used to enforce and protect the star players from harm. Without the enforcers, there would be far more sticks being wielded at players and more injuries. Without fighting and the protection of the stars, it would be better to have a lower player take a penalty or even suspension for breaking Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin's wrists with a stick to take them out for the entire playoff series.

Quote from Sueycide_FD :The cardinals won't be able to crack the Steelers' defense, but i hope they win anyways. Steelers fans around my way talk entirely too much trash.

Where are you at? Pittsburgh is an extremely devoted sports city and their fans are fanatical about their teams. Pittsburgh fans move away from the area all the time and take their fannism with them. Many people leave their cities to new cities and generally they always change their fannism. Not so for Pittsburgh fans. Once a Pittsburgh sports fan, always a Pittsburgh sports fan. All except for baseball. The Pirates could disappear tomorrow and no one would notice.
Quote from mrodgers : Pittsburgh is an extremely devoted sports city

There's not much else to get excited about in Pittsburgh, IIRC.
A couple of kids, 11 and 12 years old, in a band from the town down the road from me with their Pittsburgh Steelers "fight song". Guy I work with, his daughter goes to school and is friends with these kids....

Performance on WDVE radio station's live Steelers Rally at a Pittsburgh bar. (a bit slow). Should be the first video, Pop Rocks video if it's not the one playing first...

Youtube version, not live from the radio broadcast....
Quote from mrodgers :Where are you at? Pittsburgh is an extremely devoted sports city and their fans are fanatical about their teams. Pittsburgh fans move away from the area all the time and take their fannism with them. Many people leave their cities to new cities and generally they always change their fannism. Not so for Pittsburgh fans. Once a Pittsburgh sports fan, always a Pittsburgh sports fan. All except for baseball. The Pirates could disappear tomorrow and no one would notice.

My best friends here in Santa Fe are from Pittsburgh and are huuuuuge Steelers fans. Coming from Florida myself (Dolphins--ugh; Jags--ugh; Bucs--kinda ugh) I was glad to be converted.

Go Steelers!
Steelers are gunna win without a doupt... I mean cmon... Arizona???? Pfft.
Just watch, Steelers pretty much have it.
Quote from evilpimp :Steelers are gunna win without a doupt... I mean cmon... Arizona???? Pfft.
Just watch, Steelers pretty much have it.

People said that about Arizona in each of their playoff games so far, though.
Steelers should have this one, but the thing about the superbowl is that it's one game and anything can happen. Should be a good one to watch, thanks to Sky tv (think the BBC are also covering the game but unless they have Mike Carlson then it's Sky for me)

Who's doing the halftime show this year? anything would be better than the 'old stoges' aka The Rolling Stones.
#17 - th84
Quote from mrodgers : The Pirates could disappear tomorrow and no one would notice.

You still have a baseball team up there?

I'll take the Cards in the big game, just to go against Mike.
:bump:

Well the pre-season is done, the regular season has started after the first round of games have gone. So what is everyone's predictions for this league.

I am not to sure who will win the superbowl. Of course i would like to see the Patriots to do it but i don't know. We only have 2 QB for the season out of a 53 man squad which I have to say is a risky move after Brady is injury prone and the other QB hasn't played any NFL games before i think. The San Diego Chargers are meant to be good this year with some other teams. But am optimistic and am going to go with the Patriots

So what's everyone else's predictions?
Im hoping for the saints, being a saints fan :P, i just hope the defense can hold up, as they have an awesome offence (I think Brees will break the Total Yards record this year)

I think its a little too early to say anything yet, but i think the chargers might make it, although with LT and the decline, im not too sure.

I think the vikings could have a deep play-off run, especally with AP.

BTW, is anyone doing Fantasy Football this year? My team looks like this on the sky sports one:

QB: Drew Brees - Saints
RB1: Adrian Peterson - Vikings
RB2: Willis McGahee - Ravens
WR1: Justin Gage - Titans
WR2: Vincent Jackson - Chargers
TE: John Carlson - Seahawks
K: Jason Elam
Def: Jets
Steelahs
What would we call the city if the Steelers were to get another one? Sixburgh just rolls right off the tongue as it is now.

And it's Pixburgh Stillers, not Steelahs. That's half of where the "Sixburgh" comes from. Not just six superbowls, but the fact that Pittsburghers pronounce it as "Pixburgh."

Yinz gotta be from dahn tahn Pixburgh anat to unnerstan...

But as you can see in my avatar, I don't care much about this particular thread....

...And Lord Stanley, scratch their names on your fabled Cup! The Pittsburgh Penguins are Stanley Cup Champions, 2009! - Mike Lange, 2009
Lets go falcons!
[QUOTE=mrodgers;1052754
Where are you at? Pittsburgh is an extremely devoted sports city and their fans are fanatical about their teams. [/QUOTE]

Wait till ya see Philly...
Saints 4-0
Quote from mrodgers :All except for baseball. The Pirates could disappear tomorrow and no one would notice.

Baseball as a sport could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't notice.

Quote from 1993weeman :I cant stand hockey. Mainly because i cant see the puck. (if thats whats its called) Its just to fast of a game. Am pretty lucky as my brother got tickets for the New England Patriots game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Wembly. Lucky me

There's an old (well, not THAT old) saying in Canada that goes something along the lines of "Only an American would need a blue light to see a black puck on white ice!" (In reference to an All-Star game several years ago in which the puck had a transmitter built into it so that it would glow on the TV telecast) I've never had an issue seeing the puck; it's a black piece of solid rubber on white ice! Personally, I love the speed of hockey - both to play and to watch. The speed, the violence, the finesse.. Fantastic sport.

Quote from mrodgers :
I'm not an NFL fan at all. In fact, when I just tried to type NFL, it was more natural to automatically type NFS, of which I am also not a fan at all of. LOL

Same here. Of course, che CFL is better than the NFL anyways! (*runs away* )

Quote :One of the main reasons I don't watch NFL is because I am a HUGE hockey fan. Football is just way too slow of a game for me. I like the speed of a hockey game and the constant action. I know all the rules of hockey and none of football.

That was always my problem (well, one of my many, many problems ), until I went to Toronto Argos game in Hamilton (any CFL fan here will know what I'm talking about). I had a blast! I learned enough of the rules to be able to follow the game, I pissed off enough fans of Hamilton to thoroughly endanger myself, and I drank enough beer to not notice being stabbed by the Hamilton fans. Good times.

All in all, football games have a great atmosphere to them, I love going to them. Not much for watching one on TV, though; although I may go to a pub to watch the Superbowl... The atmosphere there is enjoyable, too. Not my favorite sport, but at least it's not Soccer.

Now... who here plays Lacrosse!?

(106 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG