The online racing simulator
Cars licences
(35 posts, started )
Cars licences
Hello. I listened developers need a license for cars, tracks ... But i cant understand why, because its advertisement. I want to see BMW M3 here
search is your friend.
Thats nice.
search wasnt my friend
oh, then u should meet him, hes a brilliant bloke like New Friend
#6 - bbman
Google copyright and trade mark, throw in greedy shareholders and you soon will find out what's the problem...
i searched and didnt found
:doh:

This has been suggested HUNDREDS of times in the past, and at this moment it's unlikely to happen.
Quote from L@gger :i searched and didnt found

LFS devs spend most of the money they earn keeping themselves alive actualy soe there aint much money left for licences sorry
But why they need licences because its advertisment for those companies i think
Don't question it - Accept it. :O
Quote from L@gger :But why they need licences because its advertisment for those companies i think

Because cars are trademarked, and you can't go putting trademarket content in something you charge for without paying for a license to use it.
Quote from danowat :Because cars are trademarked, and you can't go putting trademarket content in something you charge for without paying for a license to use it.

That, as has been described before, is not the model LFS uses anyway. IIRC it was Scawen that said they'd never paid a penny for the rights to use a car in LFS. There's always been some sort of deal that doesn't involve the handing over of money. BMW are unlikely to agree such a deal for the M3, however
#15 - Migz
I think we should all decide on a set of cars we'd like in the game.
Then the devs contact the copyright holder and see how much itd cost to license these cars.
Then we select which one we would want out of this cars, taking into account cost.
And set up a donation fund
Im pretty sure that quite a few would donate a tenner or something if they were to get a new car out of it.
Especially since there is already a completely free of charge BMW M3 racing game out there... so no need for it in LfS.
If LFS had community content, what about contacting some of the excellent one-man-and-his-shed sportscar makers in existance?

(Only if there was community content though).
Quote from ColeusRattus :Especially since there is already a completely free of charge BMW M3 racing game out there... so no need for it in LfS.

Yup - It's not perfect (feels exactly like the Mustang on GT Legends) but it's got good detail and it's fun for an hour or so each week.
i know about that 1st topic but i didnt found that 2nd ...
Quote from Sponge :Like Arial or something?

Arial possibly, Morgan possibly as well. Dennis Palatov's project was about the size I was thinking of, also there's this project which is a 1967-style downforceless single seater with a Vauxhall V8 in it on treaded tyres (!).
Quote from JohnUK89 :That, as has been described before, is not the model LFS uses anyway. IIRC it was Scawen that said they'd never paid a penny for the rights to use a car in LFS. There's always been some sort of deal that doesn't involve the handing over of money. BMW are unlikely to agree such a deal for the M3, however

I'm not certain about that, it is free advertising a no cost for a car company really and they can often save the cost of developing their own sim for PR work as a result. I don't think an E92 M3 road car would really be that good though, an E36 or E46 would be much prettier nicer to drive and have a better engine. The cars are only really interesting in racing spec, personally I think a wingless Group N spec E36 M3 adjusted to race with the XFR/UFR would be a good edition. As would a full GTR, possibly with the E92 V8 in a E46 or E36 as the factory built for its works Nurburgring and semi-works AMLS cars (and supposidly built the homologation road cars as well), would be quite a lot quicker than the current GTRs though, to get a 6 to compete with the LFS GTRs wouldn't be possible in an endurance spec engine. I can't see a car company being interested in having old models or models that don't resemble anything they've sold in a game though.

Quote from duke_toaster :Arial possibly, Morgan possibly as well. Dennis Palatov's project was about the size I was thinking of, also there's this project which is a 1967-style downforceless single seater with a Vauxhall V8 in it on treaded tyres (!).

That single seater thing caught my eye at Autosport, nicely styled, not naff and bad retro from a distance but then again clearly not trying to pretend it is the genuine article up close. I think it is reasonably priced and presuming its reasonably well setup I can see a market for it, just loved that exhaust and the pipes running along the outside of the car! If you have that kind of money to spend on a trackday car, and is very good value for what it is, and a desire to own something historic and interesting I can see the appeal of this bastard child of arguably the finest, but very short lived periods of Grand Prix cars (so very little chance of finding a car even with a 6 figure budget) and a F5000 car. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the Momo steering wheel.

I think describing the engine as a Vauxhall V8 is a bit of rather tenuous patriotism seeing as it had Chevrolet embossed on the oil filler
#23 - JJ72
It's different from car to car obviously.

putting a car into a small time racing game is some sort of under the line advertising - targeting a particular kind of customers only and really isn't a very powerful tool, so if car makers see no justifiable advertising value of course they would charge you for putting their car in, because if they give it out for free to one publisher, everyone will come to expect it for free.

in other cases if they have an actual need to this to happen in order to go with their other advertising campaign, like the VW case in LFS, they might allow it, in exchange for a product they find useful.
Quote from ajp71 :I'm not certain about that, it is free advertising a no cost for a car company really and they can often save the cost of developing their own sim for PR work as a result. I don't think an E92 M3 road car would really be that good though, an E36 or E46 would be much prettier nicer to drive and have a better engine. The cars are only really interesting in racing spec, personally I think a wingless Group N spec E36 M3 adjusted to race with the XFR/UFR would be a good edition. As would a full GTR, possibly with the E92 V8 in a E46 or E36 as the factory built for its works Nurburgring and semi-works AMLS cars (and supposidly built the homologation road cars as well), would be quite a lot quicker than the current GTRs though, to get a 6 to compete with the LFS GTRs wouldn't be possible in an endurance spec engine. I can't see a car company being interested in having old models or models that don't resemble anything they've sold in a game though.

Think you've answered your own question there about older models in most cases. Depends if a company is trading on their history, like Morgan are. Most cars would have to go in their own class, although new classes could evolve quickly. (If there was the stable flow, which would need community content, but I don't like thread derailment).

Quote :That single seater thing caught my eye at Autosport, nicely styled, not naff and bad retro from a distance but then again clearly not trying to pretend it is the genuine article up close. I think it is reasonably priced and presuming its reasonably well setup I can see a market for it, just loved that exhaust and the pipes running along the outside of the car! If you have that kind of money to spend on a trackday car, and is very good value for what it is, and a desire to own something historic and interesting I can see the appeal of this bastard child of arguably the finest, but very short lived periods of Grand Prix cars (so very little chance of finding a car even with a 6 figure budget) and a F5000 car. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the Momo steering wheel.

Got to agree with that. I haven't seen it in the metal, but from those pictures it looks very good - it's not always trying to be a 67 car, and the twin exhausts look great. The Momo branding on the wheel does look a bit dodgy, but I guess that's unavoidable. One could always put some duck tape over it .

Quote :I think describing the engine as a Vauxhall V8 is a bit of rather tenuous patriotism seeing as it had Chevrolet embossed on the oil filler

Chevrolet? With their reputation?
Quote from danowat :Because cars are trademarked, and you can't go putting trademarket content in something you charge for without paying for a license to use it.

You can't go putting trademarked content anywhere with out the explicit permission of the owners. Charging or no charging.

Who in their right mind (except BMW fanboys that is) would want an overweight, overhyped road going saloon car in a racing game anyway?? Give me a TVR instead any day.

Cars licences
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG