The online racing simulator
ABS OFF/ON during at race
(22 posts, started )
well, what is your opinion for to make ABS OFF/ON while racing? Just like is possible to put TC OFF/ON?

This is not suggested before.

Well, maybe it's not need to put OFF/ON, but it would be realistic. For Example, some of road cars can do this.

What you mind of it?
[COLOR=RED]

[COLOR=Magenta]EDIT: ummm ops, sorry, Now I remember that ABS is not on official version[/COLOR] :doh:
#2 - amp88
I don't know of any cars (there may be a few but I would suggest they're in the vast minority) where the driver can turn ABS on or off whilst driving. The only way to turn off ABS in most cars that I know of is to remove the ABS fuse. Therefore I would say no to this suggestion.
My friends Audi 80B3 had option to turn on/off ABS system (but im not sure for 100%)
For me it would be very helpful. But mostly with XFG which has no ABS anymore...
Quote from amp88 :I don't know of any cars (there may be a few but I would suggest they're in the vast minority) where the driver can turn ABS on or off whilst driving. The only way to turn off ABS in most cars that I know of is to remove the ABS fuse. Therefore I would say no to this suggestion.

Aren't most fuse boxes in a little cubby hole by the ignition normally? Surely the driver that wishes to do this would simply pop it out when he felt the need, and then put it back in when he wanted? :o
Quote from diNOSaur :My friends Audi 80B3 had option to turn on/off ABS system (but im not sure for 100%)
For me it would be very helpful. But mostly with XFG which has no ABS anymore...

All Audis with quattro till '96 80/90/100/200/V8 had button to on/off ABS.
#6 - heson
I want Scavier to focus on the core racing part of LFS (99%+ of all usage) Adding complexity to the code base just becuase some few old cars have the feature is omho bad.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :For Example, some of road cars can do this.

My volvo has no switch, and the fuse box is in the engine bay.

Flipping TC can be used to heat the tyres by burnout, flipping ABS has no use I can think of.
Quote from heson :Flipping TC can be used to heat the tyres by burnout, flipping ABS has no use I can think of.

Did you know that you stop quicker in the dry by locking up your tires than if you have ABS?

Road and Track tested this a while back and locking up your wheels stopped quicker(only slightly) than the ABS.

on gravel, wet roads, obviously this was different.
On wet roads, gravel and snow, most ABS systmes will be too intrusive and stop you later. A friend of mine barely stopped on a gravel downhill because of the ABS.
Quote from jaxx751 :Did you know that you stop quicker in the dry by locking up your tires than if you have ABS?

I race on mouse so I can break on full power every time. That means I cant prevent wheel lock when I break at bumps, after hills etc. There I need abs. And when I break before a curve and a slightly turn (driving fwd) my inside rear wheel will block and get flat spot. Those are examples when I need abs on but when I break with turning and my outside wheels are on curb abs can make my breaking distance get longer and racing line will be changed because of breaking force will be 90% to front.
Quote from diNOSaur :I race on mouse so I can break on full power every time. That means I cant prevent wheel lock when I break at bumps, after hills etc. There I need abs. And when I break before a curve and a slightly turn (driving fwd) my inside rear wheel will block and get flat spot. Those are examples when I need abs on but when I break with turning and my outside wheels are on curb abs can make my breaking distance get longer and racing line will be changed because of breaking force will be 90% to front.

my point was that if you need to stop (someone crashes in front of you) it might be better to have it off. I still think the pinnacle of driver control is braking.
Quote from jaxx751 :my point was that if you need to stop (someone crashes in front of you) it might be better to have it off. I still think the pinnacle of driver control is braking.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with you. ABS system have been here to provide driver some ability to steer the car even when full brakes are applied. Especially is case of sudden crash in front of you ABS can prevent you from crashing (you slam on the brakes but you realise that you cannot stop in time, so you try to evade). Many people claim that you can stop sooner without ABS which might be true, but it is far from being a rule. Skilled driver in a road car equipped with standard ABS would most likely be able to stop sooner if ABS was switched off, but let it happen on a wet tarmac and I believe that ABS would be quite a useful aid here.

I really don't see any point of having ABS On/Off switch in car. Those cars with such feature are like 20 years old, ABS systems were not that smart as they are today so their braking distance on a dry road was longer. This is not how it is today and even a good driver can spare just few feet when not using ABS. If you think you are better off with no ABS (don't get fooled, I also drive without ABS), disable it in garage. Or can you think of any reason when you would switch ABS off and then on again during a race?
I've seen a test in some tv program of breaking in chicane.
There was two cars. Maybach and some British race car.
Maybach had abs and esp and probably even more and British race car had only skilled driver.
Both cars had same speed but ofcourse Maybach weight about 1000kgs more.
Result was that maybach stopped much closer than the other car.
I'll try to find that test on yt.
ABS switch would be a good idea if LFS had dynamic weather, like 4th lap into a race it rains the ability to turn on ABS would help lap times

I dont cruise but maybe for crusin servers too?
I just updated my LFS to the patch Z10 test patch (with ABS) the XFG is in the list of cars that should have ABS, and it is listed as a setup option, however my question is where is the button to enable ABS or is it on by default?

Is brake help (options/driver) required to "switch on" ABS?

I can lock up all wheels in the XFG and see no setup option to add ABS

I must be missing somthing

SD.
The XFG had ABS, but it got taken away in Test Patch Z5 or something
Thank you, I didn't read it properly

SD.
they should take abs out it so silly seeing people apply full pressure then just totally lift off and the car is stable makes it soo noob freindly. Ive raced with people on bl1 xrg that would do high 133's now they are doing near 132's because of abs. takes the driving out of driving IMO i guess im just old school where drivers input the controls not electronic systems.
Quote from ANAMENOONEHAD :they should take abs out it so silly seeing people apply full pressure then just totally lift off and the car is stable makes it soo noob freindly. Ive raced with people on bl1 xrg that would do high 133's now they are doing near 132's because of abs. takes the driving out of driving IMO i guess im just old school where drivers input the controls not electronic systems.

I agree, i tested a few laps with a car with abs. I set the brakeforce very high. And for each corner just hit the brakes hard and the abs will do the work for you.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :well, what is your opinion for to make ABS OFF/ON while racing? Just like is possible to put TC OFF/ON?

This is not suggested before.

Well, maybe it's not need to put OFF/ON, but it would be realistic. For Example, some of road cars can do this.

What you mind of it?

EDIT: Please, change NO to ON please, sorry my typing mistake

EDIT: ummm ops, sorry, Now I remember that ABS is not on official version :doh:

Thread Author can change thread name himself by double clicking the thread name / row

But big +1 for your idea, I dont myself use ABS, AFAIK it helps on some tracks, but it actually slows me down for example on XRG / BL1
As most of you said, a racer/cruiser must be decided from the beginning, but an idea would be to place this in F12 screen and turn on/off at each pitstop, as well as tyre change, ammount of fuel added, etc. (because IRL in most cars u can't switch ABS on/off while running, u must stop in order to remove the fuse).
how the **** do i do i turn abs off its stuck on in the game and i cant **** tuen it off help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol. Anyway, you have it into the setups of the xr gt : ABS : on/off option in brakes part.

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG