The online racing simulator
Croft - How to Make Money From Motorsport!
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/ ... re-in-doubt/?R=EPI-105606

So the plan

Look at various race circuit locations in the UK. Take advantage of the reduced value of a house near a noise generating venue by purchasing it. Then to maximise value then sue the circuit on grounds of 'noise'.

Of course destroying local jobs, and economies is a tiny side effect but these people that work within motorsport can easily get jobs in the booming car industry.

In all seriousness I think it's about time some form of group was created to show strength in the motorsport industry. We are going to be facing THE hardest years in motorsport EVER and this sort of thing really doesn't help us.
#2 - 5haz
Balls, shame because Croft is such a nice circuit in such a nice part of the country too (well away from thw towns).

Its not all doom and gloom though, I heard that Snetterton went up against some angry local vegitarians and won.

But alas, the government has forged an alliance with the loony left, who want us to go back to medieval times so we can be all green and pretty. Although lately they have betrayed them with a 3rd runway.
What is with all this cruddy noise legislation? Most bike racing occurs during the day (with earliest sessions starting at 8am or so, finishing by 4-5pm)

Apart from the ning-ding-ding of a two stroke, most of the 4 stroke bikes actually sound really nice, from anyones point of view - It's maybe once a month, and the person who bought the house should be fully aware that it's in the vicinity of a race track, and be prepared to deal with the bi-monthly race events, and the occasional trackday.

Housing contracts around race tracks should say "I waive my legal rights to bitch about the noise because I'm too ignorant to realise the fact not everyone wears cordery and reads The Telegraph"

Unless a racing circuit is built in an already populated (i.e if they bunged a new British championship hosting circuit outside your front lawn you'd be pretty pissed, and that's fine), the housing owners should either be more tollerant, think their house purchase through thoroughly, or shut the hell up and move - The track was there before they arrived and should have had that in mind when they purchased a house.

Just my :twocents:
The same sort of thing happened to Castle Coombe. They had to drop British F3, British GT, BTCC..etc. I can't stand the people that buy new houses right next to a race track and then complain about it. You don't see the people in the Silverstone village complaining do you? and they are pretty much right next to the track.
It's hilarious that for example Croft has been there since since early 1900s. How long these complainers, NIMBY (not in my back yard) people have lived there? If you hate loud noise, definitely awesome idea to buy a house near an airport, military base or motor racing circuit.

Even Monza, a such racing sanctum, have had noise problems in recent years. Maybe not a coincidence that FIA GT, LMS and WTCC all dropped it from the calendar, leaving F1 as the only (?) major international race.

At least there's one definitive plus side to nearly silent electric cars...
#6 - 5haz
Just vote for me in the next general election and I'll promise to sort this all out.
If they lose that appeal it could get very messy very quickly. Good luck to them.
#8 - 5haz
What makes me laugh is how the local govt/law system take action after about 100 complaints, out of how many people live within a few miles (theres Durham etc nearby, thousands of people!), this isn't just to do with racing circuits either, the current govt only listens to whoever complains first.
Quote from Gav190 :You don't see the people in the Silverstone village complaining do you? and they are pretty much right next to the track.

Well, compared to where the claimants in this case stay, Silverstone village is miles away (and seperated by a dual carriageway) - this is where Vince Moor East and Croft is.

To the OP - the house was bought in 1989 when Croft only ran 20 Rallycross days per year, and was redeveloped 5 years later, however is it puzzling as to why it has taken so long for this to come to a head...

S14, you may like to correct your post by reading the entire transcript of the judgement, there is no "legislation", it has SFA to do with bikes and everything to do with trackdays (or some NIMBYs/family looking to destroy the circuit). Looking at the case law it seems that the 'coming to the nuisance' defence will have to be created by a Court of Appeal or HoL ruling.

And it seems the £3M to the local economy hasnt been taken into account, a lot more than that family contribute...

I'm obviously not in favour of the judgement - yet I can see some of their points - but it is further complicated by the fact that the daughter used to be married to the circuit owners, not revenge at all...

Piston Heads has more on the marital stuff...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :the person who bought the house should be fully aware that it's in the vicinity of a race track, and be prepared to deal with the bi-monthly race events, and the occasional trackday.

Agreed. If the defendant points that out in court, it's pretty much auto-win for Croft. The house seller should be the one to blame for not notifying.
#11 - DeKo
theres a big thread about this on PistonHeads, with the court case transcript making for very interesting reading. It appears that the claimants, a family, are a mother, father and daughter. interestingly, the daughter is the ex-wife of the circuit owner, and she moved her family there on the premise that she was going to work at the circuit. After going through a messy divorce, it now looks like the ex-wife is just claming as much as she can from the defendant, and fuck everybody else.

Sueycide_FD, your wrong, they moved into the house in a period of inactivity for croft (croft only started motor racing proper in '97).
#12 - mr_x
Quote from DeKo :theres a big thread about this on PistonHeads, with the court case transcript making for very interesting reading. It appears that the claimants, a family, are a mother, father and daughter. interestingly, the daughter is the ex-wife of the circuit owner, and she moved her family there on the premise that she was going to work at the circuit. After going through a messy divorce, it now looks like the ex-wife is just claming as much as she can from the defendant, and fuck everybody else.

Sueycide_FD, your wrong, they moved into the house in a period of inactivity for croft (croft only started motor racing proper in '97).

Yep was going to post that too.

Seems 3 people are trying to ruin the enjoyment of hundreds of thousands of people... nay, millions of people every year. (People who watch on TV etc. etc.)

Somebody created a group on facebook that's growing by the second:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56260629746
I sure hope the decision is overturned. Otherwise legal precidents are going to cause havoc - just imagine no motor racing, no aircraft (including military), no trains and no cars, all because they make too much noise.

If Croft is closed because of it, I want all of us here to agree to complain (in writing, with intent) that the road their house is on is too noisy any they want it closed. If a few thousand applications like this flood in then it might make a point even a fat-headed judge couldn't miss.
Quote from tristancliffe :I sure hope the decision is overturned. Otherwise legal precidents are going to cause havoc - just imagine no motor racing, no aircraft (including military), no trains and no cars, all because they make too much noise.

No, Aircraft are fine. Just look at the Dunkeswell/Cancel Mansell campaign.

Local villagers went to extraordinary lengths to stop the development of Dunkeswell (now Mansell Raceway). The track was refused permission to improve the facilities and venues.

Local villagers argued that the extra development would cause traffic, noise, and be an eye sour in a 'designated' area of outstanding natural beauty. The fact the track is located right next door to an airport didn't matter

The managed to do a whole protest, which attracted much attention.

Even claims of

"we don't want a track being built in an area of natural beauty" didn't lose them credibility (btw the track has been there and used for 50 years already!)
Attached images
dunkeswell.jpg
this is a nother case of people moving near a venue knowing noise is gonna be creted (how the hell can you miss a race track) and then moaning about it, and i tell oyu what, it makes me ****ing furious, you shouldnt be able to complain about such things unless oyu have been there longer that the thing you are moaning about

edit: joined the facebook group and also it has nothing to do with noise, noise is only an excuse, its revenge, ****ing twats

edit 2: as you can tell im not happy lol
#16 - DeKo
Quote from james12s :this is a nother case of people moving near a venue knowing noise is gonna be creted (how the hell can you miss a race track) and then moaning about it, and i tell oyu what, it makes me ****ing furious, you shouldnt be able to complain about such things unless oyu have been there longer that the thing you are moaning about

edit: joined the facebook group and also it has nothing to do with noise, noise is only an excuse, its revenge, ****ing twats

edit 2: as you can tell im not happy lol

when the claimants moved to their homes, there was little to no racing going on, and the plans were to get rid of the track altogether and put it back to arable farming.
well ok in this case maybe but there was still a race track there that could possibly still be used but i think in this case it is not the point, the point is really that they are using the supposed noise to get revenge on an ex partner at the expencive of million of inocent people, i just took the opotunity to have a go about peopel who do the sort of thing i described
Quote from DeKo :

So for 10+ years they've endured the noise?
stuff em is what i'd say its a business that is doing well for the community so stuff the haters
Quote :when the claimants moved to their homes, there was little to no racing going on

From what I understand when the claimant moved to the home it was in order to work at the track in order to get more racing going on.
Quote from Becky Rose :From what I understand when the claimant moved to the home it was in order to work at the track in order to get more racing going on.

I hope you're right! I'm no lawyer, (as you will be able to tell by the next bit...) but surely this fact will be enough to stop those pricks from getting their revenge!
it should be against the law (there may be something somewere) to start suing people in circomstances, the fact that it seams they are using the noise level argument to get revenge should be punishable with jail time
#23 - DeKo
Quote from Sueycide_FD :So for 10+ years they've endured the noise?

yes, its only now that there is a messy divorce between the circuit owner and the claimant that it has kicked off. its absolutely bugger all to do with noise.
If they win, watch another town fall off the map

Sad really, they bought the house with the intention of helping the community, now they can't get what they want, they are going to screw over everybody
Ideally all sporting events and live music would be exempt from noise regulations - as well as a ban on whinging about something that either keeps the local economy afloat, or was there when you moved in.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG