The online racing simulator
(thats what im hoping for lol)

but we cant be sure that that is programed to happen; because right now.. when going in reverse in either car it has no aero running on the car.. so its loose; but at whatever speed going backwards depending on angle of the spoilers, we should be able to lift the cars off the ground

oooooh boy how fun would that be on oval servers... then we would have some real crashes
Oh, when I said "now" I meant in the patch wich is coming. But its still a mystery.
Quote from deggis :My apologies to hotlappers whose virtual penis is going get a 5 centimetre cut pretty soon.

Actually you're wrong... because... there is no way dimensions like height, width or depth can become negative... right?
Or just create a new section for hotlaps in LFSW. Like the P-Q patches could have their own section and the R could have its own... Dunno, eraZe 'em all (nothing to erase here )

The upcoming patch won't probably make the current highnose setups any different to drive. The current setups are made to drive in slippery conditions with the nose lifted up to gain some speed (and acceleration). If we get more predictable tyres, the sets we have now get better as well. Also it seems that having a high nose setup won't give you any penalty, the car is just slower at corners and accelerates slightly slower resulting less top speed.

And with the locked diffs it won't be a huge difference. imho.
it will make them a lot worse to drive in comparison to other setups though, which effectively makes them a lot worse to drive, as other setups / times can be the only real reference point
I cant wait for the patch, it will give me a chance to get top of the TBO ranks again (esp RB4)
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I cant wait for the patch, it will give me a chance to get top of the TBO ranks again (esp RB4)

So much for that then...heh.
i wonder if the hotlapping system is getting a overhaul with the new layouts ? A bit off topic , but more configs for car ranks would be nice.
for the record, yes the hotlaps will be reset.

I think I'll lock them upon release of the update and clear and reopen them a bit later.
yay, time to collect wr's again
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :i wonder if the hotlapping system is getting a overhaul with the new layouts ? A bit off topic , but more configs for car ranks would be nice.

You do first those 744 hotlaps and then start to ask more!
erm...interesting avatar renku ^^
For information, cars flipping over is an effect from the undertray/flat bottom downforce. Since in LFS that is not modeled properly yet, I doubt cars could flip. But once undertray downforce is correct, just wait to see the guy with high nose who's trying to draft someone.....and have a good laugh
I think that as real WR are beaten with better machines, actual LFS WR's should be beaten "naturally", no need to reset.
#41 - ste_
Quote from BrainBT :I think that as real WR are beaten with better machines, actual LFS WR's should be beaten "naturally", no need to reset.

WRs might get /slower/ with certain car/track combos with the new patch. With no WRs reset, unbeatable WRs may then exist.
Quote from BrainBT :I think that as real WR are beaten with better machines, actual LFS WR's should be beaten "naturally", no need to reset.

I think you haven't thought enough about it The cars aren't getting upgrades to make them faster, the physics are getting upgrades to make them more realistic. How much fun would it be for hotlappers if they're unable to come within 3 seconds of the wr for all lfs releases in future, because a few goons don't want their current hotlaps wiped?
The current hotlaps will be from a different game, and irrelevant...
Quote from Blowtus :The current hotlaps will be from a different game, and irrelevant...

yeah.. new physics, new hotlaps.. it's that simple.
yay, the day of the honest racer will come! (read: bugger off high nose whores)
Quote from Blowtus :I think you haven't thought enough about it The cars aren't getting upgrades to make them faster, the physics are getting upgrades to make them more realistic. How much fun would it be for hotlappers if they're unable to come within 3 seconds of the wr for all lfs releases in future, because a few goons don't want their current hotlaps wiped?
The current hotlaps will be from a different game, and irrelevant...

There are some tracks where the high nose bug play an important role on the laptime, like WE int with FO8, not even talking about the oval track, so I agree that the current WR are meaningless on a new physics system.
Exactly... some tracks. So why wipe all combinations?
If the tyre physics changes are what I think they are there will be more grip, so times should tumble. Probably only by the same people who currently battle for WR's though.

It is depressing to have done hundreds of laps (thousands really to get those hundreds worth posting) only to find they are being reset due to a patch. Nutter rank suits the rest of us who will never get -10 minutes like the robo-drivers up the top, even with the same set.

I can't sit back and say "well I won't bother hotlapping then" as that is totally defeatist. A compromise would be nice Vic.
all of the wr sets except mine (if i still have a wr, which i doubt) are unrealistic and exploit lfs's physics weaknesses to the max, which means not only aero, but tyres too.

Why keep all of the unrealistic and worthless records?
It was widely known that physics updates involve deleting the hotlaps. Quite a lot of people haven't done nearly the amount of hotlaps they would (me included) because of this. I'm hoping that this will be the last major physics update for some time, so I can start hotlapping occasionally again.
RM, do you think that all the people who are fast now, won't be fast after the patch, just because the nose will be on the ground? lol, I think the same was said for s1.. like all the slower people would be fast now because they would need to drive smooth because of the tire wear, But look what happened, same aliens are fast. Of course I agree that the hotlaps should be deleted, since the setups will need to be changed quite a bit I'm guessing, and its nice to start off at the same point again.
This isn't the same scale difference as between S1 and S2.

Look at Formula 1. They keep changing the rules for car specs, the cars keep changing, they even change the shape of tracks slightly over the years, but the Records are not ignored. They don't say "well no turbos anymore, and we'll groove the tyres, so you should all be slower, but we'll give you a chance to set a new WR, so we'll ignore the old ones now."

They should be able to write a program to scan the existing hotlaps and remove all those with front suspension set dramatically higher than rear. They used to manually remove the spr's posted with wall-riding on the hotlap in S1 days.

They should leave the laps in place, then after a month review how new times compare to ones uploaded before April 21. If people aren't getting close to the old times, then remove the older laps. THAT would be fair, and an interesting comparison in the process.

To say the old WRs are invalid is crazy. People drove with the limitations of the game to set them. As WGooden says, the same people are going to reset the same WR's, unless more people get off their butts and actually post times now. Biggie will still own the RB4 hotlaps, Flotch will still own the rally ones.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG