The online racing simulator
Wait... what is the point in Windows 7?
(190 posts, started )
So the official Windows 7 beta release is due out soon, will anybody be trying this?

From what I can gather they've concentrated on touch screens (bit pointless as the % population that have touch screens is 0), a marginally different shell skin and 'performance'.

Quote from Wikipedia :Peek is a quick way of making all visible windows transparent for a quick look at the desktop. A Microsoft spokesman said that "this will be useful for users who want a quick look at the news" in reference to RSS gadgets on the desktop.

Well whoopy do Microsoft, wasn't that what the 'Show desktop' button was for in Windows 98? I swear they release statements like that just to make people laugh.

I hate m$ bashers as much as I'm sure you do, so you can proceed to hate me if you like - but seriously, what is the point in this release?
#2 - 5haz
Quote from pb32000 :

I hate m$ bashers as much as I'm sure you do, so you can proceed to hate me if you like - but seriously, what is the point in this release?

To make more money from people who don't know what they are buying themselves into.

And then they'll bundle it with PCs being sold, so even those in the know will be forced to use it when they buy a new PC.

I can only agree.
windows 7 is just a cofesion that they ****ed vista up
#4 - wien
Quote from james12s :windows 7 is just a cofesion that they ****ed vista up

How is that exactly? It IS Vista with some UI tweaks, polish and better marketing.
Quote from pb32000 :So the official Windows 7 beta release is due out soon, will anybody be trying this?

From what I can gather they've concentrated on touch screens (bit pointless as the % population that have touch screens is 0), a marginally different shell skin and 'performance'.

Well whoopy do Microsoft, wasn't that what the 'Show desktop' button was for in Windows 98? I swear they release statements like that just to make people laugh.

I know a lot of people who have touch screen laptops.

But Windows 7 is what Windows Vista was always supposed to be, but MS fell behind schedule, but because of how the business licences worked they all expired at a specific date, rendering a lot of companies without a legal OS (which would have lead them to switch to a different OS altogether), so they rushed out Vista, sans a lot of features (despite the fact MS then extended the licence dates). This gave them more time to work on Vista although now under the name as Windows 7.

I've mentioned before that Windows Vista was a waste of money as MS were going to phase it out with Windows 7. But it would appear I was the only person who read those posts.
In response to the thread subject... you tell me?

I can't see the point in Vista I have to use it but at the same time never felt the need to upgrade my personal machine.

However, MS seems to keep doing 'cycles', release one product, check the reactions then improve it accordingly. Think of Win 3.0->3.1->WfWG, 95->98->OSR2, 2000->XP.
Vista is for me a bit like WinME
not really special, more problems than positive things, etc.
and not many people really like it, means MS sells not enough copies.

They just hope they can stimulate their business with Win7 again.
Let's wait and see
Quote from BBO@BSR :Vista is for me a bit like WinME

I beg to differ, WinME was the last gasp of the 95 platform, released more or less at the same time as 2000. The latter however was significantly more robust than anything in the 95...ME product arc, but was also different because of its NT heirloom.

Vista has significantly reworked innards if compared with the previous installments of the NT series - problem being, I don't really see how those changes really make the user life any better.

In the end we will have to migrate to Vista, Win7, or whatever they come up with... unless you jump the barricade and decide to use an alternative system, something that is not always feasible or desirable.
I didn't meant it in a technical way

more the or my felt impression
I think people under-rate the performance aspects of Windows 7, as that's one of my main bugbears that have prevented me from switching. No doubt I'd have more if I actually used it on a regular basis. Of course internal optimisations are only half the story, it will still be a slow OS if every useful setting is buried five windows deep through completely unrelated things.

No doubt I'll update eventually, but to Windows 7, Vista looks to be the first ever Microsoft OS I've skipped. Admittedly ME got reverted to 98 after a couple of months, but I was at least interested enough to give it a proper try out.
I'm actually looking forward to W7, I've read bad things about Vista mainly the compatibilty issues, and with the games I play I don't really need those issues, so hopefully when this goes on my PC I shouldn't have too many problems.
Why can't they use Lotus motto : simplify and that would cure Vista
Quote from squidhead :Why can't they use Lotus motto : simplify and that would cure Vista

But I've bought Windows 2000 already?
wait, soo vista isnt even what we waited for and now we pay 2X the price?!?!??!?!?!?!?? OMG!!!!! now im not very happy...:weeping:
Am I being bashed if I say, I don't want to go back to XP since I got Vista on my System ?

And trust me, I didn't liked the Idea of using Vista at all... But I had to, to use DX10, and thats all I wanted to do with it.

And now I haven't even started XP since ages.
Quote from pb32000 :So the official Windows 7 beta release is due out soon, will anybody be trying this?

Pretty much all MS products are predominantly just a visual make over of their previous product with maybe one or two small tweaks underneath sold as major product changes for a shed load of extra cash to "upgrade". At least that has been my experience.
#19 - Woz
Windows 7 is Vista SP2 with a new UI to make people forget that it is still Vista
I like Vista Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever, it runs like a dream. So... I agree, I don't really see the point in Windows 7 I probably won't be upgrading in a while.
Vista is generally quite reasonable I've found. My main problems are the following:

1. Why hide the traditional menus in folders so users have to press the Alt key to see them?
2. Folder views never really persist from what I can see.
3. The file copying/moving is just the most bloated thing ever. Why make it so pointlessly flashy at the expense of performance?

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been but wasn't. Plus it gives M$ more revenue.
Windows 7 is NOT Vista, you need to search only a few minutes to see it has significant upgrades, mostly resource management has been deeply redesigned - this alone is enough to justify a new version.

MS also needs to get rid of the 'Vista' trademark since that label is doing more harm than good right now, even though the OS has been vastly improved since its first release.

So its good for people and its good for MS, Windows 7 indeed has a point.

- And no, I dont work for Microsoft, Im actually working using Linux and Oracle right now Its just I dont like to see people bashing MS just for the sake of it
Thought you would already be familiar with significant changes under minimal versioning?
The official ISO is called 7 Beta 1 X64 Build 7000 0 081212-1400 client en-us Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE EN DVD

(190 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG