Need suggestions..
I have the following:
Windows vista home premium.
Nvidia 7100
Dual core 2ghz
2gb ram
500gb hard disk

If we need more info ask.

I was wondering what could do to add fps to lfs without lowering settings.
I would like simple inexpensive suggestions. Thanks
Agreed. Even a 43xx series card would be a serious improvement.

As MijnWraak says, go for the radeon 46xx cards if money is tight, a 4850 if you can splash out a bit more.
I'd imagine a 2Ghz CPU would be more of a bottleneck than the GPU to be honest, LFS isn't very picky on graphics I'm not saying a new card isn't necessary (by God it is, by today's standards :razz, but a higher clocked CPU would have a much more noticeable improvement IMO...
I recommend a 7600GT, if you're only going to stick with LFS only, or a 8600GT, if you're going to play new games with fancy post-processing effects.

How much are you willing to spend for an upgrade?
#6 - dadge
the 7600GT is what i used to run (upgraded to 8800GT) and tbh, the 256mb 7600GT is perfect for lfs. i'm running a duel core 4800+ (amd) which runs at 2.4GHz. i would probs say that the NV7950 would be the max i could/should upgrade to before the cpu starts to bottle neck. but meh. i'm getting a 5600 + 8gb DDR II in the next few days.
im willing to do something easy and not to pricy,and its for lfs only. im not a pc gamer. and i lol al my 7100, but what would simply improve my fps the best? thats what im looking for more detail + frames.
Quote from chavm481 :im willing to do something easy and not to pricy,and its for lfs only. im not a pc gamer. and i lol al my 7100, but what would simply improve my fps the best? thats what im looking for more detail + frames.

New video card would give you more fps for money than a new cpu.

BTW, which dual core is it? 2ghz doesnt tell us anything about it at all. It could be 1ghz and be very good. Newer intel?
Changing video cards on my AMD 5200+ 2.71ghz computer made a huge difference.
My 3dMark score went from 5400 with a 8600gts to a very impressive 10000 3d mark score when I used a HD4850 512mb card.

My cpu was holding back quite a lot, even with a better cpu, the scores were still around 7000 with the 8600gts. The cpu will be holding the video card quite a lot
so a vid card? whats recmendale for around 100 USD?
I recommend you spend that $100 on a course so you can learn how to write in English.

What the heck does this word mean: recmendale ???
Quote from chavm481 :so a vid card? whats recmendale for around 100 USD?

100 usd is a good budget. Can get you a solid 4830, the best of the three options you have through my research I had to do since I don't know ATI cards well: the 4830, 3870, and 4670.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ ... aspx?Item=N82E16814102803

Or on choices for nvidia, you can get ... well ... just go with the ATI. the 9800 that is beaten by 4830 in most benches is 30 dollars more.

What are specs of your power supply in terms of voltage / +12v rail ?
That card should cover medium high resolutions, but may I ask at which you run at?

@ cobra - come on, just because his flag is USA, doesn't mean he's a native speaker. You can easily infer what that word means by its context.
Quote from polepositiondriver :Changing video cards on my AMD 5200+ 2.71ghz computer made a huge difference.
My 3dMark score went from 5400 with a 8600gts to a very impressive 10000 3d mark score when I used a HD4850 512mb card.

My cpu was holding back quite a lot, even with a better cpu, the scores were still around 7000 with the 8600gts. The cpu will be holding the video card quite a lot

I'm not surprised your 3DMark score increased. Did it have as big an effect on LFS? Unlike most games, and like the recent benchmarking showed, upgrading from a good graphics car to a great graphics card is likely to have less effect than upgrading from a good CPU to a great CPU.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=51635
i run at 1280X1024 and i want a card that doesnt need its own power suply.
Quote from chavm481 :i run at 1280X1024 and i want a card that doesnt need its own power suply.

Cards don't need their own power supply, but your existing one that powers EVERYTHING needs to be sufficient. can you tell me the voltage? That way I can tell you if its sufficient, and If not give you other recommendations. I'm trying to help you.
At that res the 4830 will be more then enough, and I'm certain you'll have more than 60 fps stable in LFS until s3
hm.. 100-127V 6A
200-240 3A

Need suggestions..
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG