The online racing simulator
Speaking of performance: I had a mostly trouble-free multiplayer session, but I noticed brief moments of really bad lag whenever I spun - almost like the game can't handle the car rotating past 180 degrees from the direction it should be travelling in. Anyone else noticed that?
Quote from Timdpr :Thank you Doorman, SpikeyMarcoD, BlueFlame and chunkyracer! It was the FF damping and friction settings that were giving me the problems.

I've got a rather slow computer, so NKPro isn't working very well on it. It doesn't seem great with a DFP anyway, so I'll come back to this game when I've got some better equipment! I'm spending loads of my time (and money) on LFS and RBR atm, (and I would be playing GPL if I could get it to work - I was having great fun until I binned my old comp and replaced it with this seemingly GPL incompatable new one ) so I'm not going to be playing an IMO quite a lot worse game than these very often. Mabye it's the most realistic sim out there, I haven't driven these cars IRL, but it just doesn't feel right.

We've had a couple of RSR drivers trying it with lower spec machines these few days who said similar to what you are saying here, at the start. However, what they did was to lower their resolution slightly and change to 16 rather than 32 bit in the resolution. They said they lost very little in colour or look as a result but double the FPS.

One uses a DFP and the other, the newer DFGT. I've got a DFP too and it feels great.

In addition, I had issues with the look at the start but after setting all the anti alias stuff off (ingame) and having the graphics drivers themselves managing all that the FPS and look went up a lot.

Try that before giving up on it with your current PC setup.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Speaking of performance: I had a mostly trouble-free multiplayer session, but I noticed brief moments of really bad lag whenever I spun - almost like the game can't handle the car rotating past 180 degrees from the direction it should be travelling in. Anyone else noticed that?

Yep, keeps happening me now and then if I lose control or brake heavily to stop.

Quote from kunos :it might happen when the physics solver is strugglin to keep the suspension together after a strong impact and has to use lots of CPU cycles to find a solution... it is clearly visible after hitting a wall and it might also appear when going on the grass as the car is hitting a steep bump.

Btw, something like this happens in LFS too. It's most noticeable with a very slow PC like mine (1Ghz PIII). If I drive a "lag lap" first - which I need to do because during it I get about 5 fps - I can then do a few laps without contact to walls at an almost-decent FPS, and then hitting a wall causes a huge FPS drop
oh and someone please tell kunos that binding the brakes to z wont work in germany
I think I'll be downloading this in a weeks time or so after the Christmas break with the parents is over. Sounds a lot more promising than the last version, which I never actually tried out anyway.
Quote from Shotglass :oh and someone please tell kunos that binding the brakes to z wont work in germany

That would just get the usual argument that zou don't play a sim with a kezboard.
Quote from xaotik :That would just get the usual argument that zou don't play a sim with a kezboard.

totallz agreed
Quote from TV[cz] :Yep, keeps happening me now and then if I lose control or brake heavily to stop.

Could also be due to models loading of people that joined after you. This would show up on screen in bigletters as well then. Also not well timed at the moment.
O shit brb lol i just bought a license guys!
1000+ of ping
Quote from chanoman315 :1000+ of ping

Ping reporting in the lobby is bugged.

If your joining one of the servers listed here http://www.wagenvoort.net/rank/servers.php Manually add the ip and port and click 'add' This will give you the correct ping.

When in game hit F1 twice to see peoples pings.

There were Japanese, Australian and Brazilians on an Italian server last night. None of them were pinging over 200.
I'm having FPS problems at my dads now... 20 FPS Its ruining it because when I slide if I try to catch it the wheel turns slowly and the FFB gets mixed up and all lol. I think my pc needs a defrag or reformat now its getting a little loaded with junk.
Quote from evilpimp :I'm having FPS problems at my dads now... 20 FPS Its ruining it because when I slide if I try to catch it the wheel turns slowly and the FFB gets mixed up and all lol. I think my pc needs a defrag or reformat now its getting a little loaded with junk.

Also try running it in 16 bit colour instead of 32. Very little noticeable difference in graphics, but better FPS for some people. (didn't make any difference to me though)

If your running with vsync on try turning it off and limiting FPS to around 60.
I want to setup netkar on LAN but can't seem to find how to start a LAN game, is it possible to not do it through the internet (and presumably run licensed cars with one license)?
Quote from ajp71 :I want to setup netkar on LAN but can't seem to find how to start a LAN game, is it possible to not do it through the internet (and presumably run licensed cars with one license)?

Just host a race as normal. Don't bother ticking the "register to netkar PRO register" Drivers on the lan just need to manually add the local ip of the host computer.

I don't think you can race licensed cars without a license though. so every player on the lan needs a licencse if you want to drive anything but the 1600's.

I think both of those answers are correct. Its been a long time since i tried it.
Thanks for the tip Moose. Added an extra 5-9 FPS A lot smoother but still when I counter steer its a little slow but meh. I'm sure its nothing that cant be fixed with some cleaning up in the pc heh.
Ok, so I have had chance to play Nkp 1.03 a bit more now, and I think I have played enough to make a decent enough judgement.

Firstly, 1.03 is a big improvement over 1.02 in many areas, but it's still not a "hallelujah" sim.

Multiplayer is now not totally broken, which is good, I have had a few relativly smooth and lagfree races, but the UI is shambolic, as it is in the whole sim.

Graphics and sound are as they were previous pretty much, functional, sounds aren't great, but they are liveable.

Physics, are still not "there" IMO, theres something not quite right, be it in the physics of FF.

The only way I can describe it is this, when you drive a car in RL on tyres will low pressure, you can feel the tyres squirming, moving on the sidewalls, and generally making the car move, without sliding, where as when you drive a can on tyres with too high a pressure, you feel very little movement in the tyre, but the whole tyre moves about on the road.

Nkp's tyres feel like they are made of solid rubber, regardless of pressure, there is very little movement from the tyre itself, there is none of that squirming, or scrabbling for grip you get from LFS.

I have offen be-moaned LFS for feeling to "clinical", but Nkp takes that "clinical" feeling to a whole different level.

Personally, although Nkp may very well be a better mechanical single seater simulation, I see very little that make it stand above sim a, or sim b.

To me, Nkp will remain, as it always has, a little curio that is nice to have on the HDD
Quote from The Moose :Just host a race as normal. Don't bother ticking the "register to netkar PRO register" Drivers on the lan just need to manually add the local ip of the host computer.

I don't think you can race licensed cars without a license though. so every player on the lan needs a licencse if you want to drive anything but the 1600's.

I think both of those answers are correct. Its been a long time since i tried it.

Never mind then I was hoping it would treat LAN games separately and allow the same unlocked/licensed version to connect to a LAN game on different PCs like LFS and rF allow.
Quote from danowat :Physics, are still not "there" IMO, theres something not quite right, be it in the physics of FF.

The only way I can describe it is this, when you drive a car in RL on tyres will low pressure, you can feel the tyres squirming, moving on the sidewalls, and generally making the car move, without sliding, where as when you drive a can on tyres with too high a pressure, you feel very little movement in the tyre, but the whole tyre moves about on the road.

Nkp's tyres feel like they are made of solid rubber, regardless of pressure, there is very little movement from the tyre itself, there is none of that squirming, or scrabbling for grip you get from LFS.

This is exactly what I mean with metallic feel of the car. Even when going over a kerb the car just "floats over it" instead of me getting the feel of suspension loading and weight distribution changing between tires, like you get in lfs/iracing. The f1600 is the worst with this and it makes it very hard for me to "connect with the physics".

But on the other hand, as for kerbs the ftarget seems to respond to kerbs pretty much Id expect it to. Using some is ok but if you put it wrong it will snap out. Not like in lfs where the kerb never spins you or unlike in iracing where the kerb has a coded spin variable attached to some kerbs (the radical).
Quote from The Moose :Ping reporting in the lobby is bugged.

There were Japanese, Australian and Brazilians on an Italian server last night. None of them were pinging over 200.

Ping from UK to Brasil is usually around 300 and that's the same for Austrailia to UK, Japan to UK I'm not sure, but from experience it's very high. On an Italian server, well that's something I've never seen before in all my days of internet gaming Not that many .it server rental companies these days it seems, a UK player on a general FPS game would get between 60 and 100 ping on an Italian server, but there is one server hosting company from Italy that are very good indeeed and you can get below 60ping (From the UK and Norway at least) on their servers.
I dare to say this, but I get the same "solid" tyre feelings from GT5p with my G25, as I do from Nkp with my G25........

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying for one minute the tyre physics in LFS are perfect, or even close, but they do a VERY good representation of how an inflated tyre feels.
Quote from Hyperactive :Not like in lfs where the kerb never spins you or unlike in iracing where the kerb has a coded spin variable attached to some kerbs (the radical).

Please tell that to the KY kerbs, or to the AS4/5/6 ones

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG