The online racing simulator
My First Day
(27 posts, started )
My First Day
Soo, i started playing this fine sim at around 11am GMT this morning, it is now 7pm.

This was the first day of using my G25 aswell.. an early xmas gift for myself.

I did some general reading up on the forums and hit the track in the "newbie car" Blackwood specifically, hitting 1:40 laps.

I check the forums.. notice some guy whos been playing 6 months can do blackwood in 1:14 with a mouse.. i begin to sob...

then i notice.. FXR is the car of choice he is using. I hop into an FXR, and on the second lap Hit 1:15. I'm pretty damn proud of that. this is my first day of playing any sort of serious SIM, and im loving it -- moved over from GRID/others with an xbox pad :P

Please rate my time! :P as soon as i can figure out how to save replays and where to upload them etc, ill bang out as best a lap time i can manage, hoping to beat 1:14!

Great game so far, loving it. even the Girlfriend is getting involved
update

just watched DrDrivers video on Blackwood
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QXK7mysi-xw

unfortunately i havent gotten into custom setups yet, sticking with stock however unwise that may be.

Hopefully i'll stumble across a decent guide on the basics of setup's... at the moments i get the most stupid errors ever "cannot change profile [DEFAULT] but i simply can't fint a "new setup" button, or anything to that effect

hahaha what a terrible noob i am..

alt tabbed back into game.. first thing i see is "new Setup" button.. epic now to fiddle..
#3 - bbman
Quote from Blakey. :update

just watched DrDrivers video on Blackwood
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QXK7mysi-xw

unfortunately i havent gotten into custom setups yet, sticking with stock however unwise that may be.

Hopefully i'll stumble across a decent guide on the basics of setup's... at the moments i get the most stupid errors ever "cannot change profile [DEFAULT] but i simply can't fint a "new setup" button, or anything to that effect

Right below the list of setups on the right part on your screen there's a button labeled "new"... Try it...
Quote from bbman :Right below the list of setups on the right part on your screen there's a button labeled "new"... Try it...

check my edit.. beat you to it
Welcome to LFS!

I can't comment on your BL time, as I'm not a fan of Blackwood, so I don't pay attention to times

In the garage screen, see that bar on the right? Look at the bottom, "New Setup" is there
#6 - MR_B
Congratulations on joining the dark side! For what it's worth you've gained the respect of sim racers by switching from those "games"

On the lap time front, you should be happy with that time. However to put a dampner on your confidence (it's the internets speciality) the world record laptime is a 1:06.260, the fastest mouse driver managed a 1:06.410. so there's time to find out there! But if you can get into the 1:10's or even 1:09's you're doing very well

you press "2" to save a replay. then give it a name. it's then saved into your /lfs/mpr/ directory.

And sticking to the standard setups is okay until you're comfortable with just lapping in the car. To get some speed up I suggest a good setup.

Head over to http://www.setupgrid.net/1/setup/endu and fine yourself an FXR setup for BL1. You then paste them into your setups folder (in lfs directory of course)
thanks guys.

and to MR.B when i say "switching over" i mean.. maybe i played GRID for about 40 minutes on Donnington and got bored.. and the others i hadn't really spent much more than an evening on!

I juat had this "itch" for the G25 for about a year.. finally scratched it, my only regret is not giving in sooner.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Check out http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Guides and also the section on driving tips

AWESOME thanks very much

i accidentally found the "racing line" button and was having fun getting an idea of the suggested route through, but i also accidentally turned it back off -.- would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?
Quote from Blakey. :i accidentally found the "racing line" button and was having fun getting an idea of the suggested route through, but i also accidentally turned it back off -.- would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

'4'
If you press '2' you can save a replay of your current session. If you post the .spr file it creates here we can offer some advice on your technique.
thanks for the replies guys.

the hardest choice for me is choosing a type of car to "settle down" with
I'm a fan of actual gear shifting with clutch, 6 speed tops.. but id also like to get into a good amount of online racing, which i fear may be more Sequential gear based cars?

Could anyone advise me on this please?
Quote from Blakey. :thanks for the replies guys.

the hardest choice for me is choosing a type of car to "settle down" with
I'm a fan of actual gear shifting with clutch, 6 speed tops.. but id also like to get into a good amount of online racing, which i fear may be more Sequential gear based cars?

Could anyone advise me on this please?

CTRA race 1 is good, they have the XFG and XRG and botht are non sequential.

also try the conedodger servers, Aston national with GTR's and the fzr is the one with h shifter but is rather tricky to drive.
you can always join a beginers league, there are several of them.
You can pretty much always find a full XFG/XRG server (CTRA), and those cars have shifters, so you should be ok :P
Quote from Gil07 :You can pretty much always find a full XFG/XRG server (CTRA), and those cars have shifters, so you should be ok :P

Awesome, Thanks
mmhm.. ill definitely look into that,

thanks
Welcome to LFS! Now say goodbye to your social life..

Joking :P
Quote from EmilO :Welcome to LFS! Now say goodbye to your social life..

Joking :P

Now now EmilO, Dont lie to the poor guy,

He's gonna lose it eventually.
Quote from mathew4445 :Now now EmilO, Dont lie to the poor guy,

He's gonna lose it eventually.

Lol, well, i went online, first race was fine, second race, i got rammed so hard it flipped my car, and then some french idiot decided it would be epic to voteban me, so i left.. pfft
Quote from Blakey. :Lol, well, i went online, first race was fine, second race, i got rammed so hard it flipped my car, and then some french idiot decided it would be epic to voteban me, so i left.. pfft

Dont worry about it mate, Soon you will find a bunch of people to race with who actually know how to race :P If that makes sense.

These days i only race in one server myself (ProRacingRoom, It one of the few australian servers) simply because its real racing. Not some bs bumper car round.
Quote from Blakey. :Lol, well, i went online, first race was fine, second race, i got rammed so hard it flipped my car, and then some french idiot decided it would be epic to voteban me, so i left.. pfft

Don't give up just because of that, please... You'll find a lot of immature people in your sim racing career. Yes, it is frustrating to be rammed the first time you went online, but after a few evening spent online, you'll find on what servers you can have fun, and on what servers some shitty behaviour is to be excepted.

For me the best servers are the CTRA servers. You'll find excellent standard of racing here, even if you have to race a lot if you want to drive some exciting cars(after a little bit less than of one thousand races and one year of intensive racing, I still can't drive the non-restricted GTRs). The "entry levels" servers(CTRA 1, Single Seater1, and BnJ are not so clean, but the better servers are just astonishing, you'll see.

If you want to improve yourself, don't press "4" to see the racing lines, because they are often wrong, but you can watch fast guys online, and see how they take the corners, how they deal with tight racing, and how they deal with destroyed tyres too... Don't hesitate to ask them their setup, because a good set can make all the difference.

Don't hesitate to sign-up in a league too, even if you are not sure to give a full implication. After 2 or 3 league races you'll see how it's fun. I hope that you'll join the Beginners' Cup, if yes that league will teach you a lot of things, and the NDR guys are very nice guys.

Anyway, good luck, and see you on track sometimes.
Thanks Bull, i'll definately be back online tonight, and pretty much every night i have some spare time

My First Day
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG