The online racing simulator
GFX card + Headset + PSU
(22 posts, started )
#1 - Joe93
GFX card + Headset + PSU
Hi, Christmas is coming and i have a £200 budget

Ive been looking for a 9800GTX+ a New Gaming Headset and a new PSU (has to be 600w or above)

ive been able to source these for £230 its £30 over budget i could maybe push the extra £30 but im trying not to. So im looking to you guys for help.

i needing them for a cheaper price

so search away :P
Why dont you get a 8800GT instead? The 9800GT is just a renamed 8800GT from what I heard so if you get a 8800GT it should normally be cheaper for the same performance.
#3 - Joe93
clockspeeds on similar priced 8800's are much lower than the 9800's
Help me. Point me to some websites from where you'd like to buy atleast, I'm not Scottish!
#5 - Joe93
i dont know any good websites thats why i was looknig for you guys to help

that prices were from Ebuyer at Overclockers it was £240
#6 - Jakg
Why do you need a 600w PSU?

Why not get an ATi 4870?
#7 - Joe93
The recommended PSU for a 9800 is 550w or above, im currently on a old 230w so imo it will just crash.

And a 4870 would blow me way over budget
#8 - Jakg
4850 + FSP 700w PSU (£30 from Scan's Today Only).
Quote from Jakg :4850 + FSP 700w PSU (£30 from Scan's Today Only).

Ermmm could you translate that into English for me please. I understand and like the £30 bit, but what is a 4850 and is it any good ?

I don't wanna hijack this guys thread,

but,

I'm looking to upgrade soon, maybe in the new year sales, and not sure what would be the best way to go.

Currently running:-
Asrock 4 core dual mb
Intel E6300
Nvidia 6800gs XXX
2Gb DDR400 (something or other) RAM
And a few other bits that make lots or whirring noises, flash lights and generally bump up my electricity bill.

Budget £200-£300

I'm not having any problems playing the stuff i play at the moment, but it would be nice to see X-Plane and maybe FSX at full settings, + Arma 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2 are due sometime next year so maybe a bit of future proofing is needed.

To the OP, sorry to bust into your thread like this. So if you want i can delete this post and start my own. Just say the word
#10 - Jakg
A new graphics card - what PSU do you have?

ATi 4850 = Very nice mid-range GFX card.

FSP 700w PSU = Power Supply - You can pick one up from Scan's "today only" page every now-and-again for £30, FSP are a very nice manufacturer (and it seems very very weird that it's that price, but it gets very good reviews) - I'm running it atm
9800GTX is the dogs, trust me

But I don't think you can get a 9800GTX/48xx, a decent headset and a new PSU for £200. It'd be cutting it fair tight if you did anyway, and probably sacrificing a quality headset/PSU. My 9800GTX, Corsair VX550W and AudioFX 5+1 (No I'm not showing off ) comes to €340 = £290. Prices may have come down a bit since I got them all, but it's still going to be over budget I think...
Quote from Jakg :A new graphics card - what PSU do you have?

Err 550 w ATX or something

Quote from Jakg :ATi 4850 = Very nice mid-range GFX card.

FSP 700w PSU = Power Supply - You can pick one up from Scan's "today only" page every now-and-again for £30, FSP are a very nice manufacturer (and it seems very very weird that it's that price, but it gets very good reviews) - I'm running it atm

Ahh, the PSU is £30, got ya

I'm looking at Scan's Today screen right now, but i can't see any deals on gfx cards, and i don't really want a luminous keyboard, even if it is only a tenna..

ANd how much of a difference does the PSU make ? i've never had any problems with my little-un
#13 - Jakg
Cheap PSU could blow stuff up when it breaks, and one that won't provide enough power (even if it's of a high quality) will lead to instability etc.

Today Only changes every weekday, so keep an eye out - atm theres not that much good on there, but occasionally there is.
XFX 9800GTX+ 765MHz Edition 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset - Noise Cancellation Microphone with Gold Plated 3.5mm Jack
OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan

Thats what im getting for £230

is it worth what im paying?
If there's a 9800GTX with stock clocks available cheaper, get that instead. You can always overclock it yourself later
Cant find any with stock clocks sadly i have a 8500GT atm its extremly clocked (the core clock is at 675mhz and the stock being 459)

Am i just aswell going for the deal im getting atm?

And is the Headset decent enough ?
Quote from Jakg :A new graphics card - what PSU do you have?

ATi 4850 = Very nice mid-range GFX card.

Mid-rang? WTF it's like the 2nd-3rd best card to get right now...
Behind the GTX280, the 4870x2, 4870, GTX260, etc etc.
Well I still wouldn't call it a mid-range car... Mid range is more like 8600GT than a HD4850 imo.
Quote from Riders Motion :Well I still wouldn't call it a mid-range car... Mid range is more like 8600GT than a HD4850 imo.

The 8600GT is a budget card now. (It was never much better than low-mid range to start with, so how you can say it is now is beyond me)
What games are you going to play? What resolution do you play at? AA? AF? Which card you NEED depends on these.
Quote from Riders Motion :Well I still wouldn't call it a mid-range car... Mid range is more like 8600GT than a HD4850 imo.

Well, yeah. 4850 being mid-range, 4870 being top end, and the 4600 being low/mid end

GFX card + Headset + PSU
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG