The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Limiting car wheel turn
(77 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
you forgot the BF1...
#28 - Reed
Quote from Cue-Ball :I can't believe this is actually a request.

The cars in the game should not change their wheel rotation to match the users PC wheel. The FZ has 720* rotation as it should. Just because you use a controller with 270* rotation, that's no reason that the in-game car should change one bit.

It works exactly as it should right now, and should not be changed.

I can't believe you state opinion as if it's fact.
#29 - Jakg
i'll save you the trouble, its 400 degrees, so your list should be...

Cars that use 720 degrees of rotation:
XF GTI, XR GT, XR GT Turbo, RB4 GT, XFO Turbo, LX4, LX6, UF1000, UF GTR, XF GTR, FZ50, Raceabout..

Cars that use 540 degrees of rotation:
XR GTR, XFO GTR, FZ50 GTR

Cars that use 450 degrees of rotation:
Formula XR, Formula V8

Cars that use 400 degrees of rotation:
BMW Sauber

Car that uses 270 degrees of rotation:
MRT5
#30 - CSU1
Quote from X-Ter :Still doesn't do exactly what I was looking for, sorry
I was looking for a function that locks the virtual wheel to the same ammount of rotation as my desktop wheel. 240 degrees from lock to lock.

It seems to me this guy is happy enough with the way his car turns,
and that he is simply wants the graphical representanion of his wheel
to match that of the one in his hands.There are a lot of different types of hardware
Quote from Reed :I can't believe you state opinion as if it's fact.

I'm stating my opinion (it's fine the way it is) AND i'm stating fact (a cars wheel doesn't magically change the number of degrees it rotates). Each car is setup to have a specific lock-to-lock and that's that. The only way it should ever change is if we, in the future, are able to change the steering ratios on the cars.

Making the wheel turn less so that it matches the users external wheel just makes no damn sense at all. If having the "real" wheel and the "game" wheel not match is so bothersome there's a nice little option to turn the game wheel off. Or, he can just buy a wheel with at least 720* rotation and then it's a moot point since both wheels will always match up.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'm stating my opinion (it's fine the way it is) AND i'm stating fact (a cars wheel doesn't magically change the number of degrees it rotates). Each car is setup to have a specific lock-to-lock and that's that. The only way it should ever change is if we, in the future, are able to change the steering ratios on the cars.

Making the wheel turn less so that it matches the users external wheel just makes no damn sense at all. If having the "real" wheel and the "game" wheel not match is so bothersome there's a nice little option to turn the game wheel off. Or, he can just buy a wheel with at least 720* rotation and then it's a moot point since both wheels will always match up.

I believe he wanted the graphical thing, not actually changing the car steering ratio or lock to lock. I think everyone agrees not to change the lock to lock or the steering ratio.

In rFactor, you can change the graphic of the ingame steering wheel to match the rotation of your desk wheel, and the steering ratio or lock to lock stays the same.
Quote from ddmak :I believe he wanted the graphical thing, not actually changing the car steering ratio or lock to lock. I think everyone agrees not to change the lock to lock or the steering ratio.

In rFactor, you can change the graphic of the ingame steering wheel to match the rotation of your desk wheel, and the steering ratio or lock to lock stays the same.

Yeah tht's what I was thinking too. it is just a graphical thing.
retired
#35 - CSU1
Quote from Cue-Ball :I'm stating my opinion (it's fine the way it is) AND i'm stating fact (a cars wheel doesn't magically change the number of degrees it rotates). Each car is setup to have a specific lock-to-lock and that's that. The only way it should ever change is if we, in the future, are able to change the steering ratios on the cars.

Let's play the imagine game...
Imagine ...
close your eye's..
Imagine you are in the car sitting in pit lane....
Now you are in the car holding the wheel in your hands,
you begin to turn the wheel....
you feel it in your hands turning normally.The first thing you notice is that the wheel is not turning in sequence with the one in your clasp."Making your hardware specific/synchronised to the one on da screen yo'
I totally understand the TS his request. But i also agree with Cue-Ball. When i still had my Logitech formula force which only had 180 degrees of steering i encounterd the same visual appearence as TS discribes. Only i never had such big problems with it.

Ain't it much more important to feel your own wheel and its feedback, and not use the graphical representation (which is actually correct, and should be that way) as your guide? A car with only 180 degrees of steering is insane imho.
Also, u look at the track, at a far distance, not at your graphical in-game wheel i hope! So it does not make that much sense to me.
If u are such an enthousiast, buy a wheel with adjustable lock. It will drive much better, have linear graphics and u gain lots of precision by doing so. This IS the advantage serious drivers have over unexperienced ones with no real hart for racing. A good FF wheel with these functionalities aint cost that much, everyone could afford one. Its just matter of priorities. If its not your priority to have linear response in a racesim, don't complain about it.

Some ppl still want LFS to be more user friendly, but it would take away its karma when doing so. The point described in this topic is just one of those. Also, 'this may sound a bit harsh', is that i don't really care about such suggestions because its nothing a pro-racer would ever complain about. To me, this is what makes LFS special. And i don't like LFS to get filled with unexperienced 'wreckin' guys who never get any better. Not that this particulair suggestion is THAT bad, it's just that i really care about this game and i like how it is the way it is.
Quote from BruTaLysT :I totally understand the TS his request. But i also agree with Cue-Ball. When i still had my Logitech formula force which only had 180 degrees of steering i encounterd the same visual appearence as TS discribes. Only i never had such big problems with it.

Ain't it much more important to feel your own wheel and its feedback, and not use the graphical representation (which is actually correct, and should be that way) as your guide? A car with only 180 degrees of steering is insane imho.
Also, u look at the track, at a far distance, not at your graphical in-game wheel i hope! So it does not make that much sense to me.
If u are such an enthousiast, buy a wheel with adjustable lock. It will drive much better, have linear graphics and u gain lots of precision by doing so. This IS the advantage serious drivers have over unexperienced ones with no real hart for racing. A good FF wheel with these functionalities aint cost that much, everyone could afford one. Its just matter of priorities. If its not your priority to have linear response in a racesim, don't complain about it.

Some ppl still want LFS to be more user friendly, but it would take away its karma when doing so. The point described in this topic is just one of those. Also, 'this may sound a bit harsh', is that i don't really care about such suggestions because its nothing a pro-racer would ever complain about. To me, this is what makes LFS special. And i don't like LFS to get filled with unexperienced 'wreckin' guys who never get any better. Not that this particulair suggestion is THAT bad, it's just that i really care about this game and i like how it is the way it is.

I agree its better to have 1:1 steering, for realism, but there are Mouse 'drivers' out there setting WR's for goodness sake. I have to question the advantage of 900 degree steering.
#38 - col
Quote from CSU1 :Let's play the imagine game...
Imagine ...
close your eye's..
Imagine you are in the car sitting in pit lane....
Now you are in the car holding the wheel in your hands,
you begin to turn the wheel....
you feel it in your hands turning normally.The first thing you notice is that the wheel is not turning in sequence with the one in your clasp."Making your hardware specific/synchronised to the one on da screen yo'

Lets play a different imagine game:

Imagine you are in a race car, your hands are on the wheel. As you turn the wheel you notice in astonishment that just infront of the wheel you are grasping, between you and the windscreen of the car, there is another wheel !? yes ANOTHER WHEEL !!! What's more, there seem to be two odd looking arms floating ghostlike with their hands grasping this second wheel.....

I don't know why the OP is worried about the second 'ghost' wheel matching the rotations of his 'primary' wheel - the idea of having a second 'ghost' wheel at all seems faintly rediculous to me - one of the first things I did when I started playing LFS back in 2002 was switch off the silly wheel and arms visuals - I have my own wheel and My own arms TYVM

Col
unfortunately right now my wheel is setup on my pc table. As such it is a bit lower than i would like. As my monitor is eye level to me, the 'virtual' wheel is in a more accurate level than my G25.

so yes, it is reassuring to see the virtual hands acting as mine do.
If you are only concerned with the visual appearance, it is possible to make the steering wheel invisible in cockpit mode is it not? You would lose the LCD info, though you could get that back using virtual displays or tools like SimView on a second display.

As a semi-related question: I'm getting a G25, and if I set the locks to and ingame wheel rotation to 900 degrees, what happens if I rotate the wheel past the car's maximum wheel turn? Will the ingame wheel rotate at the same rate as the physical one until it hits the "virtual" lock and then just ignore the additional input (maybe apply force to try and push the wheel to simulate the lock)? Or would it scale the rotation so that 900 degrees on the physical wheel equals 720 on the virtual one, etc? I would really like to not have to mess around with the profiler settings every time I change cars.
LOL

Why not simply don't display in game wheel nor racer arms?

You have your own realistic arms (I hope ) and your real wheel attached to your racing table (or cockpit) so why do you want to see it in LFS too?
Maybe he has not his wheel just over the sreen, I have my wheel below the monitor, so I need to see the virtual wheel
Quote from Whiskey :Maybe he has not his wheel just over the sreen, I have my wheel below the monitor, so I need to see the virtual wheel

In most cars the steering wheel is below the windshield.
Quote from BWX232 :In most cars the steering wheel is below the windshield.

Thats generally not true.
All cars that I've ever owned and most small cars in todays market have a steering wheel possitioned fairly high.
Larger cars like SUV's and Minivans dont.

I guess it depends where you live and what type of cars you drive but as a standard, most European small and sports cars have a steering wheel above the bottom part of the windshield.
Quote from gohfeld23 :Thats generally not true.
All cars that I've ever owned and most small cars in todays market have a steering wheel possitioned fairly high.
Larger cars like SUV's and Minivans dont.

I guess it depends where you live and what type of cars you drive but as a standard, most European small and sports cars have a steering wheel above the bottom part of the windshield.

Then I guess lower the seat.
Quote from BWX232 :Then I guess lower the seat.

Seriously!?

I really hope your wheel doesn't move when you move the seat.
Quote from gohfeld23 :Seriously!?

I really hope your wheel doesn't move when you move the seat.

No I meant so he could see the wheel from his PERSPECTIVE..
If your wheel is not below the windscreen then where is it ? ON the windscreen ? On the ceiling ? The dashboard is surely below the windscreen which is where you would usually find the wheel
Quote from Gills4life :If your wheel is not below the windscreen then where is it ? ON the windscreen ? On the ceiling ? The dashboard is surely below the windscreen which is where you would usually find the wheel

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=816909#post816909

The real wheel, not the one on the screen... - Lower you REAL seat.. the real wheel will appear higher up on the monitor. Or mount the wheel higher on the desk with some scrap MDF or something..

I think you LFS'ers are insane sometimes.

I guess I need to take a picture for you guys to understand what I mean.--- in answer to Whiskey's post.

Spinoff : Limiting car wheel turn
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG