The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Limiting car wheel turn
(77 posts, started )
#1 - X-Ter
Suggestion:
My wheel (my physical, on the desk wheel) can turn max 240 degrees from lock to lock. I'd like an option to set the corresponding (spelling) ammount of visible turn of the graphical wheel in the car (I hope this explanation makes sence).

It's not a high priority request, just a suggestion, and I'm sorry if it's allready possible and I've missed it :duck:
#2 - axus
Quote from X-Ter :Suggestion:
My wheel (my physical, on the desk wheel) can turn max 240 degrees from lock to lock. I'd like an option to set the corresponding (spelling) ammount of visible turn of the graphical wheel in the car (I hope this explanation makes sence).

It's not a high priority request, just a suggestion, and I'm sorry if it's allready possible and I've missed it :duck:

It is already possible - called wheel rotation.
#3 - X-Ter
hmm.. I find "wheel turn" and "wheel turn compensation", none which do exactly that what I was looking for. The vitual wheel still turns a lot more in the end.
Where is this option "Wheel Rotation" hidden, cause I've been trough the menues a lot
#4 - axus
Quote from X-Ter :hmm.. I find "wheel turn" and "wheel turn compensation", none which do exactly that what I was looking for. The vitual wheel still turns a lot more in the end.
Where is this option "Wheel Rotation" hidden, cause I've been trough the menues a lot

I'm sorry, its called wheel turn - go into LFS, park a car with the wheel turned and change this setting.
#5 - X-Ter
Still doesn't do exactly what I was looking for, sorry
I was looking for a function that locks the virtual wheel to the same ammount of rotation as my desktop wheel. 240 degrees from lock to lock.
#6 - axus
That's what Wheel turn is meant to do, what do you think wheel turn does?
#7 - Reed
I was just about to suggest the exact same thing!

I quit using the cockpit view because it's very bothersome to see the virtual wheel turning so much more rapidly than my wheel.
#8 - Reed
Quote from axus :That's what Wheel turn is meant to do, what do you think wheel turn does?

It may be a bug, but changing the "Wheel Turn" value doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever visually
#9 - X-Ter
I did two quick short movies to explain this better.
Right click and save as if you got trouble viewing them.
How it is
What I want
Wheel turn is the value that determines dependence of car's wheels angle from controller's wheel angle (you can adjust this also with steering lock and wheel turn compensation). What you see in cockpit view - is the graphical representation of your actions. You can affect only smoothnes or nonlinearity of this, but car's steering wheel lock-to-lock angle is constant. (for example: mrt has 270 degrees and lx6 - 720)
Quote from Reed :It may be a bug, but changing the "Wheel Turn" value doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever visually

With me neither...

Wheel turn compensation just makes it so, that when you turn your wheel IRL further than the wheel can go in LFS, it slows the wheel in LFS down... So when you keep turning your real wheel, it will keep turning in LFS too, just in a slower rate. Otherwise, you could turn your real wheel, but the reading in lfs stops when the car in the game has its max lock.
Each car in LFS has a fixed wheel turn rate (which is what you want changed). If you set the "Wheel turn" option in controllers correctly to your wheels turn rate, then full lock on your wheel will always mean full lock in game, iirc. The wheel turn compensation will not alter this, but only the steering curve, which is linear at 0% wtc and gets more non linear the closer you move it to 100% (1.0). What wtc tries to accomplish is to make the steering around the center as close as possible to the one in the car.

Example:
Wheel turn 270°
LFS car turn 540°

Without wtc, 1° rotated on wheel is 2° rotated ingame, everywhere.
With full wtc, 1° rotated on wheel is 1° rotated ingame around the center of steering, but closer to 3-4° on the edges.

Basically, wheel turn compensation gives you more precision on the center and less on the extreme steering angles.

I don't know exactly what happens if you have more wheel turn available then the car in LFS (which is likely with a DFP). My guess is that the steering will always be fully linear, and on a MRT for example you'd need to turn your wheel more than 3° to turn it 1° ingame (hence the preferred method to catch a slide is "flailing arms of doom").
If you have your DFP set to 900, and WTC set to 0 then your in game wheel will always turn the same amount - i.e. 1 degree of wheel turn = 1 degree of in game wheel turn. If you drive a car with a limited lock (say 540°) then the steering in game just stops at that lock on the DFP, and steering further will cause no change to LFS's steering.

Hope that makes sense.

P.S. I don't have a DFP, this is just something I've picked up on the years
^^ I'm not sure and don't feel like testing it right this moment, but I think it's the other way around... What you describe there happens when WTC is at 100%
Yeah, it's WTC at 100%. Best way to setup your DFP if you can't be bothered to dive into the configurator everythime you change cars.
he wants 1° rotated on wheel is 1° rotated in game- for the whole wheel range right?

I've just been testing this with my dfp, setting it to lower locks via its control panel then messing around in lfs.

And.. You can't do it when your real life wheel has a LOWER lock than than the lfs car.

Heres how to test if you have a dfp or other wheel that can have its lock altered;

set the dfp to 360 degrees in the control panel, go into lfs and set the wheel turn to the same.
Also set wheel turn compensation to 1.00.(has to be this to get corect 1 to 1 rotation)
now load up the mrt(has a wheel lock of 270; our dfp is at 360) use a setup that has FULL lock( ie 30 deg)

Fine; now watch incar as you move your dfp the rotation will match perfect for the full range of the lfs wheel.
The ingame wheel stops rotating at its limit and your dfp will be at the EXACT same angle.

Now load up the xrgt(lock of 720; our dfp is at 360) use a set that uses FULL lock(36 deg)
Watch incar again and you can see the wheel rotations DON'T match! Nor do the angles match at full ingame lock.

This is wrong and is the complant of x-ter, his wheel has a lower lock and the inputs get scaled up too much in lfs.

He wants 1 to 1 lock evan though his real life wheel will reach max lock before the lfs cars wheel.
He wants 240 degrees on his wheel to only ever reach 240 degrees in the lfs cars wheel. No matter which car it is.

The 1 to 1 matching works perfectly when your real life wheel out-rotates the lfs car wheel but not the other way round.
This is the bit that needs fixing perhaps.

I'm guessing that the Scawen wants all wheels to be able to match 1 to 1, it would give greater( and more realistic) control to low lock wheels.
Does anyone use more than 200 when you get it right?

x-ter has a 240 degree lock to lock wheel(bet its a logitech) so, x-ter try setting the wheel turn to 240 with wheel turn compensation set to 1.0.
because of the above problem you still won't have a lock matching wheels just yet.

Can some other people test this please, There is always a chance I'm talking gibberish. I kept wanting to spell wheel as whell no no don't ask.illepall
I got it set to 240 and compensaton to 1.00.
And since all the cars in LFS has more loch than my physical 240 degrees it's going to as you described above, yes. That's why I have turned off the graphical wheel and hands, cause they just get confusing after a little while. Wish I could have full on 1 to 1 all the 240 degrees
And yes, it's a logitech
I have wheel and hands shown, because it just feels weird with nothing... But I have wheel compensation to 0, and my dfp to 900°, I never drive a car that isn't drivable with that lock (BF1). And I don't know what you're on about, but I don't really look at the wheel... I can't understand why it would become confusing, you have your wheel in your hands, how can it become confusing? You start thinking you're holding the virtual one?
#19 - Reed
Well it would definately be nice to have the option to change the maximum wheel turns in the LFS cars to match that of our game wheels. Non-linear or not, when comparing 270-degrees or rotation of a game wheel to 720-degrees in the game, at some point, the in-game wheel is turnig much more rapidly than the game wheel, and that can be very distracting. But it feels strange driving in the cockpit view without the wheel and hands visible, so I've resorted to a sort of over-the-hood view.
Quote from Reed :Non-linear or not, when comparing 270-degrees or rotation of a game wheel to 720-degrees in the game, at some point, the in-game wheel is turnig much more rapidly than the game wheel, and that can be very distracting.

not at all ... its the only indication you have on a sub 720 wheel how far the wheels are actually turned (except ffb)
The problem is not how it looks. But how your control of the car is affected by these settings.
Its also about making lfs feel consistent to its users.

With correct wheel lock matching a car will handle and feel the same on any computer with any wheel.

Without it you could run into problems. It might cause you issues when creating setups or when using someone elses.
comparing real life to lfs handling, the xrgt turbo has been labled as an oversteering pig. Part of that could be because your real wheel inputs are being scaled up too much in lfs.

Does it matter if it works for you? Yes this IS real life man! realism counts!
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=886#post886

Yeah If the lock to lock on your controller (wheel) is too low, you cannot get the one on screen linear and also stop at the same time.

Even for us DFP (and future G25) users.. it would be easier to just input the settings such as "720 degrees" or "240 degrees" or whatever.. and then on a completely separate control LFS setting change the linearity. (it would always be completely linear for me)

Of course it would always be good to be able to set this up so that the cars real lock to lock could be easily achieved by the game telling you what it is on that same screen by default.

Then of course having the game keep those controls seperate for each set of cars that use that same default rotation.

I guess there would be 4 separate steering wheel rotation control profiles.

Steering wheel rotation Profile 720)
- affects all cars that have a default of 720 degrees default steering wheel lock to lock

Steering wheel rotation Profile 540)
- for all cars that have a default 540 degrees default steering wheel lock to lock.

Steering wheel rotation Profile 450)
-for all cars that have a default 450 degrees default steering wheel lock to lock.

Steering wheel rotation Profile 270)
for all car(s) that have a default 270 degrees default steering wheel lock to lock.

Not sure what the new F1 car is.. I need to check... maybe it needs it's own profile?

If this was already or partially covered in the latest set of patches, maybe it's not needed now.. Not sure how in depth that went for this. I see a couple things that could affect this, but I'll have to test it to see if profiles like above would still make sense.
i think it is the animation (not the steering)of the wheel in the cockpit he wants to match with his real life wheel...i think
I can't believe this is actually a request.

The cars in the game should not change their wheel rotation to match the users PC wheel. The FZ has 720* rotation as it should. Just because you use a controller with 270* rotation, that's no reason that the in-game car should change one bit.

It works exactly as it should right now, and should not be changed.
If it's just graphical, what's the big deal? It's not like it's changing the physics or mechanics of the car.

If that's the argument the game shouldn't allow people to drive with a keyboard, gamepad, joystick, or mouse either..

I don't see the logic not allowing for players to sync of the wheel they are using with the wheel they see on the screen just because they don't have the latest and greatest wheel- as long as it lets you know in the game what the default steering wheel rotation is.. because I do think it is important. I had to figure it out for myself by trial and error back in the day, it wasn't listed anywhere that I could find.

Cars that use 720 degrees of rotation:
XF GTI, XR GT, XR GT Turbo, RB4 GT, XFO Turbo, LX4, LX6, UF1000, UF GTR, XF GTR, FZ50, Raceabout..

Cars that use 540 degrees of rotation:
XR GTR, XFO GTR, FZ50 GTR

Cars that use 450 degrees of rotation:
Formula XR, Formula V8

Car that uses 270 degrees of rotation:
MRT5

Plus it would allow for easy profiles that you could "set and forget" for ALL cars so people wouldn't have to constantly adjust their settings, making for a better overall experience, especially for people with older low rotation wheels.. (or new ones for that matter).

(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG